Jun 26, 2021, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
New Product

The Mini Quadrotor Biplane (Mini QBiT) | A first in its class!

Mini QBiT (or MQB for short) is a multi-mode tail-sitter UAV. Simply put, the vehicle can fly like a quadcopter and an airplane. This offers improvements in range, endurance, acrobatics, and more.

One year ago I released a YT video on it and now I've decided to start selling it! Buy the kits and see more information here: www.miniqbit.com

This is the original, introduction video:
A New Kind of Quadcopter! Introducing the Mini QBiT (8 min 10 sec)

This video shows its FPV capabilities, which is great fun:
FPV Dual Camera Switching for Hover and Forward Flight | Mini QBiT (9 min 39 sec)

I'm planning to make another video talking about some of the new features on the Mini QBiT V2 which is the more versatile version now being sold on the website.

Answers to common questions:
Q: How much more efficient is it than a standard quadcopter?
A: I've found 30-50% improvement in endurance over a standard quadcopter. Although there's more involved here than just wings on vs. wings off so it's somewhat difficult to make a comparison. We should think of this as it's own class.

Q: How is transition achieved/how do you fly it? Is there any special flight controller software required?
A: The Mini QBiT can be flown in either VLOS or FPV mode. It can be flown in either acro or angle mode. I've been running it with betaflight which works great. But you should setup it up however you like, and see what works best for you!

Here's an example build done by someone else who bought a kit, he talks about his opinion on it in the post: https://rotorbuilds.com/build/27543
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2021, 09:14 AM
MultiWiiHead
Happened across the YouTube video again yesterday ... Shared with my group and a buddy ordered one. unfortunately I'm on the other side of the planet and shipping would be an issue. The more I thought about it the more intrigued I have become...turned into afternoon project. Didn't do any searching untill printer was running and came across several hits here on rcg.

Clever design that prints efficiently. Unfortunately I don't have any filament on hand to do it justice.

Curious how the balance will work out relative to the wings. With the appropriate battery and no electronics which are all considerable ahead of what appear to be a reasonable 25-33% of chord it's pretty well balanced. Looks like the top motors will be used more for drag than thrust to keep the nose up in fwd flight. Obviously battery can be moved aft for correction but just curious what logged/osd motor outputs look like when flying on the wing.

Super cool project that appears to have found solutions to this type of craft using betaflight.
Jun 30, 2021, 04:46 PM
Certified Nerd

Happy Customer

Just picked one of these bad boys up, so here's my build. I loaded it up with my dRehmFlight VTOL flight controller because I'm interested in trying the code out with a smaller platform, and I'd like to do some custom transition mixes for hover -> ff modes: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Stabilization

I would still highly recommend betaflight as Peter intended, but this is just my experience loading it up with my FC hardware

IMU taped down to frame with foam tape for vibration isolation between 20x20mm mounting holes:

20x20mm 4-in-1 ESC over top of the IMU. Note I initially mounted the ESC 90 degrees off axis as it was intended.... do not copy the orientation of the ESC seen here. Luckily I was able to correct this after needing to replace the ESC because the first was faulty:

Teensy 4.0 microcontroller wired up on top of the ESC with foam tape under to isolate from the ESC heat:

Full 'stack' with spektrum rx on top:

Again, note that the ESC/motor wires are off axis 90 degrees in these pics due to my mistake. This was fixed with the new ESC and she flies great! Gonna spend some time getting it better tuned with my FC and then work on some forward flight mixing so it handles more like a plane in FF. Haven't added a camera/VTX yet but ordered the version with the nosecone camera since I do intend on eventually putting the two cams with a switcher on later on. Notes on the frame:
  • The material is extremely strong for a 3D print. Don't think I'll be breaking this in a crash
  • The wings are also extremely strong and lightweight. Proper carbon fiber layup with decent amount of camber for high lift in low-mid speed flight
  • Everything snaps together with magnets and the part tolerances are great for a snug fit, but loose enough to pop off in a crash which is awesome. Can't wait to put it through its paces
Jul 11, 2021, 07:58 AM

Which transmitter should I get when aiming for VTOLs?

Hi,
I am getting into this hobby with the specific goal to build VTOLs (starting with this build as a quad, then hybrid, and later want to learn using dRehmFlight with Teensy). I don't think I will be drone racing anytime soon and am not sure I I will get into FPV as I am really into it for the tinkering at the moment. Do you have any advice as for what kind of transmitter I should be getting?
Is there anything else that I should be looking out for? (With my total project budget for everything I initially need aiming to remain under 500€)
Thanks,
Robin

EDIT: Here is the build list that I am settling for:
Item Full name seller comment price $
motors iFlight XING2 1404 3000KV/3800KV/4600KV Toothpick Motor getfpv 4x 64
radio transmitter RadioMaster TX16S 2.4G 16CH Banggood 144
transmitter batteries 1-4Pcs 18650 35E Battery 3.7V 3000mAh Banggood 2x 25
radio receiver FrSky XM+ Micro D16 SBUS Full Range Mini RC Receiver Up to 16CH Banggood 21
FC & BEC stack HGLRC FD413 16x16 Stack F4 13A 4in1 n-factory 49.536
charger iMAX B6 80W 6A Lipo Battery Balance Charger Banggood 32
Batteries ZOP Power 11.1V 850mAh 100C 3S Lipo Battery XT30 Plug for RC Racing Drone Banggood 2x 35

Extras for FPV
camera switcher FPV Multi-camera Mini Two-way Electronic Switch Video Switcher Module for RC Drone FPV Racing Banggood 11
VTX HGLRC FD VTX Micro 48CH 16X16mm PIT/25mW/100mW/200mW/400mW Switchabe FPV Transmitter VTX for FPV RC Drone Banggood 24
goggles Eachine EV800DM Varifocal 5.8G 40CH Diversity FPV Goggles with HD DVR 3 Inch 900*600 Video Headset Build in 2000mAh Battery Banggood 90
FPV cam ]Eachine White Snake Cmos 1500TVL PAL/NTSC 16:9/4:3 Switchable HDR Mini FPV Camera With OSD Board for FPV Racing RC Drone - 1.8mm Banggood 2x 38

Total price without FPV: 402$
Extras for FPV: 163$
Last edited by F00lWise; Jul 29, 2021 at 04:37 PM.
Jul 26, 2021, 09:27 AM
Thread OP

FPV Fun Fly!

Racing through hula hoops and crashing a bunch:
FPV Mini QBiT Fun Fly | Hula Hoops and Crashes! (3 min 58 sec)
Jul 26, 2021, 09:28 AM
Thread OP

The in depth build tutorial is now live!

How To Build the Mini QBiT: Step by Step Build Tutorial | From parts to flying! (36 min 2 sec)
Aug 07, 2021, 08:17 PM
Thread OP

Chasing the Mini QBiT

Chasing the VTOL Tail-sitter Mini QBiT! (2 min 6 sec)
Nov 14, 2021, 07:35 PM
edu
edu
Almost ready for the maiden!!

Eventually I managed to print the center part of the Wing with lw pla and attached the winglets printed in regular pla reinforced with some fiberglass
Nov 16, 2021, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
Totally awesome! Hope the maiden goes well!
Nov 18, 2021, 05:46 PM
edu
edu
The maiden didn't go well...

I was using the FPV camera mix at 90 degrees in the configuration.
During the flight in stabilized mode I was making a light forward pressure in the pitch stick . But Changing to acro mode the down pitch moment was so abrut I didn't have enough time to recover from a height about 10 m

The frame and wings broke in multiple pieces but Thankfully all the electronics seem to be ok.

I printed another frame and will try again shortly.
Meanwhile I am trying to figure out what could happened

Quick Reply