Jul 30, 2021, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
I painted the cockpit and seat back tonight. I'll let that dry and secure my pilot tomorrow before sheeting the turtle deck. I have a feeling with the curvature I have planned around the cockpit he wouldn't fit once it's sheeted.
In the back I attached to horizontal stab curved tips and sanded. The white covering will go on then it'll get epoxied to the fuselage. That will probably happen before bed since I can't do much with the cockpit til morning. I'll get a picture or 2 tomorrow once everything stated above is complete.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2021, 11:29 AM
Thread OP
I test fit the pilot and he will go in last. Luckily he fit with the sheeting in place. So here's where we are on the build. I have one piece of 1/16" sheeting to put on behind the cockpit and the turtle deck will be built.
The bottom half of the fuselage will be next focus. Running r/c gear and the wing fairings shaped will be first tasks. Then firewall, LG mounting plate, and aft sheeting. Tomorrow I'll be pretty busy so next weekend I'll get back on it.
Jul 31, 2021, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Almost forgot to put up the pictures of it assembled so far. Like how it's coming along.
Aug 01, 2021, 03:10 AM
looks good so far!
Aug 01, 2021, 01:24 PM
Nice work!
Aug 01, 2021, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys! I'm super happy how it's taking shape. I really hope the 400w motor I bought gets me the performance I want. That'll just be a fly it and see situation. I know 400w is equivalent to a .20 glow so I'm pretty confident it'll be a good match. Bigger motor means bigger battery and more weight which I'm trying to avoid. During this week I'll see what I can get done on the wing probably. I need to get it sanded and the wing hold downs in place so I can bolt it on. The wing fairings can't go on without a tightly fit joint.
Aug 05, 2021, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
I should have time this weekend to chip away at the build. Finishing the wings is too priority before moving back to the fuselage. Thinking I'll use spiderwire to sew the control hinges. 4 per surface... Maybe 3 on the rudder. That'll give it a nice strong hinge with a ton of movement and minimal friction on the servos.
Aug 06, 2021, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
The wing is all sanded down and fits very snug in the wing saddle. Right now the trailing edge fillets near the fuselage are in place and drying. Tomorrow's goals are to mount the servos, attach the ailerons, and glue on the foam for the fairing.
Aug 08, 2021, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
End of weekend report:
Wing is bolted down to fuselage and everything involving that is epoxied. I'll take it back apart in a day or 2 just want it to be nice and cured where it'll set while flying.
Aileron servos are in and the surrounding balsa is in place. Covering wing is next task then aileron attachment.
Aug 08, 2021, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Forgot a couple things. Since the plane is bigger the landing gear had to upgrade as well. I have an aluminum one from some Great Planes ARF (T-Craft maybe) that will need repainted but fit perfectly. I couldn't leave the tail wheel alone so it's being swapped with a Sullivan .20-40 size bracket. The spring wire steering is just the best for grass fields.

Quick Reply