Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 12, 2005, 12:39 AM

How V Tail setup and deflect?

If I were to look at the plane from behind, if I turn my rudder stick to the left, both v tail should swing to left, correct?

In another word if I were to put my plane on its fuse side, where one of the vtail touching the table and the other vtail is almost straight up, it will deflect as in a normal tail plane? Am I correct.

I believe some people say its the opposite of aileron movement if one were to look from behind.

Am I correct?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2005, 01:39 AM
JART Builder/flyer :)
yep I think that when you turn the fuse so one side of the V-Tail is pointing straight up it should deflect like a conventional rudder... At least it works for me.....
Jul 12, 2005, 07:32 AM
Just imagine the two surfaces folded up until they are both vertical. Now, rudder movement is the same as for a normal rudder.

So, for left rudder, left surface "down", right surface "up"..
..a
Jul 12, 2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks Leif and Andy
Jul 12, 2005, 09:19 PM
Leif, where you located? (I know a guy named Leif up in TN.. )
Jul 13, 2005, 01:46 AM
I am in Oslo, Norway.... TN????
Jul 13, 2005, 02:24 AM
Vertically Challenged...

V-Tail movements

The RBC Paddle is a bit confusing though!
Jul 13, 2005, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
I am in Oslo, Norway.... TN????

Tennesee, USA!
..a
Jul 13, 2005, 01:50 PM
Ascended Master
I had an inverted vee-tail "paddleize" itself inflight... flew OK before and after.. but did reglue the broken joint after landing..
The booms have to be securely mounted...
Jul 14, 2005, 02:15 AM
presumably the inverted V-Tail in the photo reacts well since the roll component of the v-tail action and the rudder component are acting in the same direction? doesnt this make the controls even better?
Jul 28, 2005, 07:06 AM
Vertically Challenged...
Leif,

It does work ok, and is quite sensitive, but because the control surfaces are well out of the prop wash I have to be careful not to slow the Paddle down too much. The control movements are small - about 5mm each way to stop it being too twitchy. As it slows down the controls become less and less effective until there is none - then it does it's own thing! Sort of free-flight with motor control! Then I open up the throttle and as soon as the speed builds up I'm ok again.

Bert
Jul 28, 2005, 03:30 PM
The Old Bag LAdy
Sounds like you need to set up dual rates on your radio. At slow speeds V tails are somewhat inefective.. So when you slow down you'll need way more movement to stay in control...
looks like a fun plane..
Cheers
Al