Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 12, 2005, 05:48 PM
ClearView Rocks!
Anyone want to say how many hours it took to complete theirs?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2005, 05:50 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Has it flown yet ??? Looks like a demon roller !!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 12, 2005, 05:57 PM
Red
Red
VW

Awesome!! First customer built pics. They look great. Did they go together ok?

Red
Jul 12, 2005, 05:59 PM
ClearView Rocks!
Red--how many hours do you estimate it takes to build one?
Jul 12, 2005, 06:01 PM
ClearView Rocks!
BTW, how do you ship?
Jul 12, 2005, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
VW

Awesome!! First customer built pics. They look great. Did they go together ok?

Red

Red,
The build was good. The build was about 5hr. framed up. I have one flight off of grass it was winding but went well.
Jul 12, 2005, 06:42 PM
Red
Red
Quacker

I shipped it USPS. I think the aveage build will turn out 4-5 hours. I guess it depends on how crazy you want to get on the paint job.

Thanks
Red
Jul 12, 2005, 06:42 PM
Red
Red
VW

Great job. Enjoy!!

Red
Jul 12, 2005, 07:05 PM
Oh man nice looking builds!

Red, I think you ought to give Hef a call to line-up a shoot for those guys. Flying off the mansion pool and some frolic time in the grotto will far outshine anybody elses indoor or outdoor video.
Jul 12, 2005, 07:09 PM
Red
Red
Viddy

Outstanding idea!! How about I hire you as my PR rep and you can set that up?

Red
Jul 13, 2005, 12:15 AM
MHO
Last edited by Holtenbacker; Aug 23, 2005 at 08:42 PM.
Jul 13, 2005, 09:21 AM
c/f
c/f
Well,

10 hours into the build and here are my thoughts and some deviations from kit. I should comment that I am an anal builder, I have an ECLECTIC airshow fleet and always strive to have something that nobody else does. I fly electrics, currently own a INDIAN SPIRIT the only known one in USA a molded depron fuse model with a little screamer putting out 15+ oz of thrust on a 6 oz AUW model. Also I fly helis and turbines so my build time will be WAY outside the norm of ARFINGG, Thus the "MISS HANGAR ONE" will fit nicely. My build will be with lightweight performance in mind goal of 7-8 oz, and tape and CA glue, taped hinges, plywood, do not fit in to my scheme of thing.

Excellant laser cutting, minimal connect spots and no laser burns creating for great fits.

DEV #1 No pix but I built a left and right sponson minus rear and front outer peices. This let me build them true and get max gluing strength internally with Gorilla Glue (GG). Then I built deck minus control surfaces since I dispise tape hinges in favor of Spectra line hinges (SLH) details later. This allows an upside down build of adding sponsons to deck as a unit and everything fits nice and square and strong. Rear sponsons sides added at this time. I then attached front sponson outer panels by CA them on 50-70% from rear step forward. This last opening allowed access to GG internal joints of this outer panel. Leaving glue allitte heavy, then seal up remainder then stand on nose and let GG run forward to get last bit. One note is this last 30% really is not submerged in water IMHO. thus my methodoligy.

DEV #2 I capped top of front spar with .007 X .250 C/F. noticeable improvement on hull stiffness.

DEV #3 When building cockpit/radio box I put the 6 mm Depron front nose bottom cap flat on deck bottom to lend ridgidity to deck for my motor mount deviation. Then used 3mm Depron to cap nose lower piece.

DEV #4 I used a 10mm C/F arrow for motor mount and replaced original hardwood spar with one of 6mm Depron supporting underside of arrow. The measuremnent I came up with is that the arrow centerline is parrallel with deck and 1 3/8" off of deck. I then used 6 mm Depron to block arrow in on sides. Using GG it all foamed in ROCK SOLID.

DEV #5 Cockpit top and top radio tray are not original in favor of things to come.

heres some pix: ENJOY

Last edited by c/f; Jul 13, 2005 at 09:33 AM.
Jul 13, 2005, 10:01 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Nice lookig job c/f. I cant wait to get mine. I have a question for you. Do you think the Hacker A20-30M or the 20-26M would be a good motor choice for this? I am leaning twards the 26M cause it will turn a 9-7 prop and make 24 onces of thrust. What do you guys think?

Ben
Last edited by Ben-Rod; Jul 13, 2005 at 10:56 AM.
Jul 13, 2005, 11:24 AM
c/f
c/f
Ben,

I'ts not that easy, you must consider that every gram counts so you must also think of motor controller weights, a 25 amp controller versus a 10 amp controller can be a significant percentage of overall weigh, wire guages, battery weights to supply motor properly. These things fly on thrust to weight ratios not aerodynamic lifting qualities. Any decision you can make should be conscious of both properties, as at some point it's a point of diminishing returns. lighter models fly better.
Latest blog entry: Hyde mount booty
Jul 13, 2005, 11:39 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f
Ben,

I'ts not that easy, you must consider that every gram counts so you must also think of motor controller weights, a 25 amp controller versus a 10 amp controller can be a significant percentage of overall weigh, wire guages, battery weights to supply motor properly. These things fly on thrust to weight ratios not aerodynamic lifting qualities. Any decision you can make should be conscious of both properties, as at some point it's a point of diminishing returns. lighter models fly better.
c/f Thanks for your fast response. Both the 30M and 26M will run with a 10amp esc. Both motors weight 43 grams (1.43 onces). We plan to use the 12amp esc that Hacker offers with the combo. My main concern is the weight difference opposed to using a hot cdr motor. Red flew his with a park 370. The A20-30 and 20-26M should be lighter and hoter. Any suggestions would be very helpfull...

Ben
Last edited by Ben-Rod; Jul 13, 2005 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply