Jun 22, 2021, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen M

In my case I am looking at trying covering my next project with laminating film (supposed to be very light), covering that with tissue and colouring the tissue (maybe coloured dope or thinned enamel). ...
There's different weights of laminating film. Better check before buying a lot. I hear there's very different kinds of tissue too, for weight, strength and ability to hold colors. Film (with ot without adhesive) with tissue seems to be a favorite for simulating vintage model finishes.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2021, 08:58 PM
Neophyte hacker
Some laminating film works very well and takes paint much better. It is called Soft Touch laminating film. It is meant to be printed on so painting works well.

Yes, the films can be bought from very thin to fairly thick. It is also not cheap since you have to buy by the roll, eg 500ft. The good part is one roll will last a LOOONNG time, and, if you build much it will save you a lot of money in the long run. If you just want to try it then ask around and see if someone has a roll that they will share with you.

https://www.mybinding.com/laminating...oft-touch.html

I used to use the std laminating film but it seems the formula has changed a bit. It might be possible to paint or apply tissue but it would be a trial and error thing. There are several types of film and I just do not know which one works and which do not. The older stuff I used could be painted with indoor acrylic latex house paint. The newer stuff I tried did not work as well.

I wish Solarfilm was still supplying in the US. Their Litespan and Airspan were my choices for models under 50" span. My 1/6 SPAD was covered with Solartex. Heavy stuff.

charlie
Last edited by portablevcb; Jun 30, 2021 at 09:04 PM.
Jul 01, 2021, 10:55 AM
I have both natural Solartex and coloured (not the century 21 stuff which I believe is also sold as glosstex) and although heavy it doesn't seem that bad. In the case of your SPAD how much weight do you really think it added? I am still for laminating film and tissue but am curious.

BTW the laminating film came from Martin who got it, I believe, when they changed machines or suppliers at his work. This may be 20+ years ago.
Jul 01, 2021, 01:43 PM
Neophyte hacker
The problem is not the total weight of the covering and paint. It is that amount of extra weight in the tail and a very short nose. Before covering I needed no nose weight to balance. After covering and painting it took more than 8oz in the nose to balance. So, RTF the plane weighs 5lb. IIRC, before covering it weighed about 4lb. So, covering, some of the scale details and the balance weight was right around a pound.

charlie
Jul 01, 2021, 02:19 PM
Charlie

Thank you. Reality check. I was thinking by comparison to a different covering but yes the addition of balance weight makes it much more. I could ask relative to X covering but that is being unfair. Thank you.
Jul 01, 2021, 03:36 PM
Neophyte hacker
You can look up weights of the different coverings. Solartex and the other cloth type coverings are the heaviest by far.

https://www.homefly.com/reference/Co...%20Weights.htm

charlie
Jul 05, 2021, 05:45 PM
Viceless no longer :)
Ages ago I posted up the weights of some covering materials on my blog. Just a quick note that I was very pleased with the results of polyspan and a 'tester' pot of domestic paint mixed in the hardware store to match antique solartex sample on the rake strutter. over the last few years I've had to open it out in places for access to structure for hangar rash repairs, a sticky servo etc and it's been nice to work with and put back in a way which is perfectly reasonable and not scruffy .
Jul 06, 2021, 01:28 AM
Hello

I have used laminating film for years and have a standing order with my local office supply, called "Staples" in Canada, that when the laminating machine is getting a new roll to save me the old roll as there is still quite a bit left on the old roll.

They save it for me instead of tossing it.

I iron just the perimeter of the part I am covering, let it cool, then shrink the centre with a heat gun, works great and as tight as a drum!!

.. use lite coats of auto primer for adhesion and after that you can paint it with anything....

Bruce
Jul 06, 2021, 10:23 AM
Tyro of the Hudson
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruce
Hello

I have used laminating film for years and have a standing order with my local office supply, called "Staples" in Canada, that when the laminating machine is getting a new roll to save me the old roll as there is still quite a bit left on the old roll.

They save it for me instead of tossing it.

I iron just the perimeter of the part I am covering, let it cool, then shrink the centre with a heat gun, works great and as tight as a drum!!

.. use lite coats of auto primer for adhesion and after that you can paint it with anything....

Bruce

wow, good thinking!
Jul 13, 2021, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruce
Will the paint dissolve from engine fuel?
What brand of auto primer do you use?

Quick Reply