Jun 18, 2021, 05:02 PM
Flying helis since 1978
Thread OP
Discussion

The father of r/c helicopters

It was reported on RunRyder that we lost a modeling icon...

Dieter Schlueter
I am sad to report the passing of my dear friend Dieter Schlueter. He was 90 years old last March. To many of us he was the father of R/C model helicopters. Rest in Peace my friend.

Posted by Horace Hagen.

RIP.

rotorist.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2021, 08:29 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
That's sad! I got to see him demo one of his first Cobras at the Toledo show which I think was back in 1973. I was 12 years old. That was my first exposure to the world of R/C helicopters!

R.I.P. Herr Schlüter!

https://second.wiki/wiki/dieter_schlc3bcter

Ralph
Jun 19, 2021, 09:02 AM
Still gassin' it.
That indeed is sad news. May he rest in peace.
Jun 19, 2021, 07:25 PM
My first helicopter, 71 Supertiger with Perry pump and carb. Flew it for several years and then it became a display model at our hobby shop.

Later stolen during a night time break in.

RIP Dieter
Jul 25, 2021, 01:03 PM
AeroDan
RIP Dieter Schlueter
Oct 05, 2021, 11:23 AM
RBW's sock puppet account.
I got my wings (hover wings) on a 60 champion.

Rip my good man.
Oct 16, 2021, 10:49 PM
OK Karen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves
I got my wings (hover wings) on a 60 champion.

Rip my good man.
I bought a Champion kit in '85 when they first came out. I have a complete, flying Champion now.

RIP indeed.
Oct 17, 2021, 10:12 AM
Still gassin' it.
in '85 I could not afford anything Schlueter... The best I could do after 3 years of stumbling around with an old beat-up Graupner Bell 47G was an even older and even more beat up appr '75 or '76 Graupner Bell Trainer. In hindsight a horrible machine, but back then sheer heaven to fly compared to that B47G.

But to this day I will remain thankful to Mr Schlueter for "inventing" the hobby!
But I am just as thankful to Mr Heim to have come up with his modular design, and to Mr Streich for improving the heim design into something that could be flown every day and despite that would stay in one piece... That particular part was not yet Schlueters strongest point at the time.

Quick Reply