Jun 18, 2021, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Question

Making own Flight Controller with BetaFlight/CleanFlight

Hi!

I am new to drones and I got really interested in making my own drone. First I saw the video's of Joop Brokking where he makes his own simple FlightController.
The next thing I noticed was the MultiWii. I really liked the idea of making my own drone with self made flightcontroller. I would like to solder all the sensors like gyroscope/accelerometer/magnetometer/barometer to the board. After that I wanted to add GPS functionality but I read that memory and power of an arduino would be to small so I stumbled on an STM32 board. The firmware I could use is baseflight, a 32 bit port of multiwii.

Now I noticed that baseflight is not updated anymore and there are many new flightcontroller firmwares like Betaflight, CleanFlight and many others. I saw many premade bords for this flightcontrollers, but I really want to start from scratch with just a STM32 bord.

Would That be possible? In multiwii you just can adjust the sensor ports and everything in config.h. is this also possible with those newer firmwares? How would I upload this firmware to the stm32.

Thank you for taking your time in reading this!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2021, 01:36 PM
Well, you're way behind the times. Multiwii was a decade ago; 2.4 was released 6 or so years ago. Baseflight was 6 or 7 years ago. Betaflight had been the standard for a long time.

I cannot recommend making your own. Could you get a STM32 F4 project board, and do your own thing; probably if you don't mind modifying Betaflight to do what you want. It would cost you more than a pre-made flight controller, and never work as well as one. Seriously, there is no point reinventing the wheel, at least at the level of a modern flight controller.

If you're absolutely hell bent on making your own, use Multiwii. Do the same thing they did back in the day. Get a Wii Motion + controller dongle from a pawn shop, and interface that to an Arduino, something Atmega32, or Mega256 based. The Mega boards, if you can find the compact ones, are the most flexible. You would be able to interface GPS with that, though keep in mind, this will still require some coding, though not that bad. I've personally used an Atmega 328p board, with a Wii Motion + dongle, and got a 450 sized quad flying with MultiWii. It's not impossible, and there is a lot of documentation. I will say, after I built my own, I promptly started buying MultiiWii controllers premade, because they worked better, and were far more convenient to work with. I've built about 5 MultiWii based quads over the years; though nothing recently in the last 5 years. It still works, and for a larger craft, it works well. My first 250 class racer was running MultiWii.

Good luck.
Jun 18, 2021, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Hi Man!
Thank you very much for this answer! You are totally right and for sure it is better to buy a pre made flight controller, and probably I will!
But first I will try to make my own multiwii. I really like tinkering with this little electronics and in the past I learned a lot from it. I just think that there will be much satisfaction of getting one drone in the air

Again thank you for this nice reply!

Quick Reply