This thread is privately moderated by Calypso6858, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 18, 2021, 06:16 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Obscure Airplane Highlight of the Day : Waco E Series Cabin

Waco E Series Cabin: While weíre on the subject of Wacos, hereís one of the highest performance ships they built.

The HRE, ARE and SRE cabin biplanes from Waco came onto the market in 1939 as competition to the Howard DGAs, Stinson Reliants, Spartan Executives and Beechcraft Staggerwings. It had a series of big radials up front from 300 to 420hp. The SRE was top of the line with a P&W R-985 up front. It had sleek lines and slim wings giving it a competitive cruise speed of 195mph. Itís wide stance, long fuselage and large flaps also gave it docile ground characteristics that some of its competitors didnít have.

The E series was unusually configured for a biplane. Itís upper wings were so much larger than the lower wings, it technically qualifies as a sesquiplane. It also had a very rare feature of having both the flaps and ailerons on the upper wings. It had comfortable room for four inside itís plush interior and it delivered its passengers in speed and style. And at a hefty price.

Being the high performance and complex airplane that it was, the E series came with a large price tag. With such a high price came a limited clientele, as only 30 E series cabins were produced. With big names like Lycoming and Goodyear tires being the purchasers of the airplanes, they were mostly used for high class executive jobs. But when the war rolled around, half of them were impressed into the military as UC-72s.

With a cursory count, there are six of these ships still airworthy today. Red Lerille has a beautiful SRE that just came out of restoration. The EAA has an ARE on display at Pioneer field in Oshkosh. Steve and Tina Thomas own a beautiful yellow and black SRE in Poplar Grove Illinois that is flown very very regularly. Chris Galloway (also owner of the F-2 in the first picture of F-2 post) owns a fantastic looking red on red SRE in Yolo county California. Walt Bowe owns the Maroon SRE that was just completed by Ragtime Aero in one of the best restorations Iíve ever seen. And there is another yellow and green SRE floating around that I currently donít know who owns.
Last edited by Calypso6858; Jun 18, 2021 at 06:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2021, 06:13 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Truly one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built. As a kid I dreamed of owning one, but haven't thought about it in years. Thanks for throwing a wrench in my build schedule!!!

Cheers,
Duane
Jun 23, 2021, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
Hahaha If you do build one I wanna see!!!

I have two Moki 215s that aren't in an airplane and even though I don't have the skills to build it, I will always keep one new in it's box in case someone makes a kit for an SRE that is big enough for a Moki. That would be my dream model.
Jun 24, 2021, 09:32 AM
Benjamin,:
Can you imagine somebody waiting to restore their antique, wood/tube/fabric ,one of a kind airplane "as soon as somebody makes" a resto kit for it

I'd bet you are a lot closer in mental attitude, abilities, and skills to master a large scale SRE, than you think. Generally speaking, it has been my observation that larger scale means greater opportunity to incorporate full scale practices in design/build of the model.

Oft times, the only difference between " can't" and "can" is the attitude of the prospective doer.

ALSO- Love SRE's!!!
Jun 24, 2021, 09:58 AM

Thank you .....

..... for the slew of exellent pictures! Laramie.
Jun 24, 2021, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
Benjamin,:
Can you imagine somebody waiting to restore their antique, wood/tube/fabric ,one of a kind airplane "as soon as somebody makes" a resto kit for it

I'd bet you are a lot closer in mental attitude, abilities, and skills to master a large scale SRE, than you think. Generally speaking, it has been my observation that larger scale means greater opportunity to incorporate full scale practices in design/build of the model.

Oft times, the only difference between " can't" and "can" is the attitude of the prospective doer.

ALSO- Love SRE's!!!
You have a point, but between full scale restoration projects, maintaining my one flyable full scale and school, at the moment I couldn't even think about starting my first wood scratch build.

but if I ever get the time, it's either gonna be a bag a$$ SRE or a positively HUGE Grumman Goose.

Quick Reply