Jun 18, 2021, 04:14 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

"Albatross" mods by JF Jet Studio.

Just got hands on another bargain to add to my water plane fleet to enjoy my fantastic water flying facility in the backyard.
Looking just like new on outside, (never judge the book by its cover! LOL), but in pretty neglected state after inspecting it closer.
Previous owner claiming to have 2 flights with it off the water, but must have forgot to lube all the moving parts before storing it for couple of years!
Total carelessness of the RC modeler!
Both Elevator push rods were basically welded with the rust at the outer ends, taking extreme force to rip them out free!
All ball links were in appalling state partially seized with nasty oxidation inside.
The stock foam mold hinging, badly cracked, is totally inadequate for long term reliability, so it's the first thing to upgrade with no corrosive plastic hinges on all controls.
Elevator and Rudder steering 9g plastic gear servos are also n# one job to upgrade to metal gear, higher torque servos.
I'm also re-positioning the float wing pods further in, from the wing tips, with extra spacer made up to keep the model more level in water during taxi.
Extra colour added to make it even livelier for my like to start with this new toy.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2021, 05:59 AM
Tyro of the Hudson
Ok nice pick up but how can you have two number one repair jobs?

Wouldn’t the second one you do be #2.

Our float fly is tomorrow. I used corrosion X this Spring on my Eflite cub electronics. My last outing a couple years ago resulted in a wet motor ESC cut out but I still had flight controls to dead stick a plopped landing.
Jun 19, 2021, 05:04 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Any upgrade job on this one is a #1 priority.
I fly all my water planes from the salt water, the first thing after, clean them with the fresh an thoroughly lubricate all metal and moving parts - a must do!!!
Regular waxing of the whole frame to minimize the water penetration is my other exercise.

Few more touches to "Albatross", on the way.
Jun 20, 2021, 03:38 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Bit of nightmare to remove the quick stop links from the El. and Rudder paddle push rods, no idea what locktite the factory used but there was no chance to undo the 3mm grab screws even after serious open torch heating and use of best allen keys.
Grinding it off, was the only way to remove it after stripping the grabs!
Rust proof Aileron hinges were added and set into the foam for the piece of mind.
The main wing is being prepared before the couple of coats of clear laquer to seal off the foam from any water penetration damage to make it last.
Jun 21, 2021, 04:20 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Putting final touches to my new toy, one more coat of gloss finish, need bit of sunshine to dry it to have some fun in the river.
I hooked it up on 12ch. receiver, the range check is next with the full distance walk away, to see if I need to add on extra satelite rx.
Jun 22, 2021, 12:45 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Took it out to do the proper range check, all good, also checked the current draw to give me an idea.
While using inline Eflite meter it read some 60 Amps but with the more accurate clamp, around 50 on full stick, or aprx. 22 on 1/2.
Currently drying out after 2nd. coat of clear finish.
Jun 22, 2021, 01:16 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Nice job! What do you use as your clear finish over the EPO?
Cheers,
PeteM
Jun 22, 2021, 02:49 AM
jofro
Thread OP
2 coats of my favored water based high gloss finish, and regular wax polish after. (pic)
Jun 22, 2021, 04:59 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Just looking at the thrust line of motors, I think it's very badly designed for a model, I haven't got a clue if it's scale, which is the last thing for a successful flying toy models, but it is wrong to have them pointing considerable amount upward!
No wonder, most had all the balooning and bad landings problem. LOL.
Jun 23, 2021, 10:22 AM
The motors are mounted quite a bit above the airplane's center of drag. That means that the thrust of the motors will try to push the nose down. This is counteracted by the up-thrust built into the nacelles. And yes, the full scale Albatross has up-thrust also.

By the way, your rear motored deltas have the same problem, but those motors are mounted both above and behind the center of drag, so the solution in that case is down-thrust.

I just thought some of your readers might like to know.
Jun 23, 2021, 08:56 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Well, you got a bit of a point there but in this case being so close to the CG it creates more of the ballooning problem for a model in my opinion.
Toy model planes and the real thing is a totally different cup of tea! No comparison, beside the looks.
Jun 23, 2021, 09:05 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Took it out for few water runs to check my mods, more than happy the way it sits in the water, more leveled, also wanted to check before flying the steering effect of my separate channel paddle fin, seem to work great on higher rate but bit of the issue when it picks up lot of seaweed close to the bank, as it happened to me today, so will have to watch out for that!
I had few lift off runs, all good, ready for flying action next few days.
Also covered the huge control tab gaps for smoother air flow over it.
Jun 24, 2021, 03:03 AM
jofro
Thread OP
[QUOTE=jrf2;47350887]The motors are mounted quite a bit above the airplane's center of drag. That means that the thrust of the motors will try to push the nose down. This is counteracted by the up-thrust built into the nacelles. And yes, the full scale Albatross has up-thrust also.

By the way, your rear motored deltas have the same problem, but those motors are mounted both above and behind the center of drag, so the solution in that case is down-thrust.

With Alba, being such a light model and both props close to the nose, the stock upthrust is totally wrong, creating the ballooning effect as most flyers have so they have to compensate with down Elevator, - silly thing to do.
It obviously works different with the full size and its wing loading, but we are flying toy model planes on RCG.
BTW, my design EDF jet deltas with the angled power unit create upthrust, not down thrust effect.
See the down-thrust on my giant 100" "Herc", to compare to 'Alba'. (pics)
Jun 24, 2021, 09:28 AM
The thrust on the C 130 is very close to the center of drag, so that is not comparable to the Albatross. And that angle of down thrust is extreme. I would guess that the elevator trim changes significantly whenever the motor speed changes. But if it works for you, then all is well.
Last edited by jrf2; Jun 24, 2021 at 11:26 AM.
Jun 24, 2021, 07:24 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Mate, from my experience of building and flying some 300 models of various kind, I find lot of ARF kit models are very badly designed! LOL.

Quick Reply