Discussion

Any idea of this sailplanes name or design

This is a very nice plane
Wingspan around 8ft
Fuselage just over 3 ft
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2021, 12:03 AM
Brett
It kinda looks like a Bird of Time with a (custom?) fiberglass fuselage. There was an ARF version with an FG fuse, but the front was a lot different, I think.

BTW, if you can, try and be more specific about the wingspans you post (like give it in exact inches). In can sometimes help a lot in identification, seeing as most gliders fall into fairly common size ranges.
Jun 18, 2021, 07:10 AM
Thread OP
Ok thanks and that is a painted wood fuse not a fiberglass one
Jun 18, 2021, 09:25 AM
Depends on the span, 118" would make it a Bird of Time, 2 meter might be a Lil Bird from Skybench.
Jun 18, 2021, 12:52 PM
B for Bruce
Get a tape measure and give better numbers on span and length than "around 8ft" and it will make it easier to help. As you can see from the replies there are often similar variations. So giving accurate measurements helps us to help you.

There was an all wood kit for the Bird Of Time as well. So possibly from the kit or it may be built from plans which came out first before the kits started showing up. The more slender looking than typical fuselage was likely a mod by the builder.
Jun 18, 2021, 01:08 PM
Looks like you have a bunch of old sailplanes you found there. Even an old Cannon radio in the background.

You could go search old web sites for some of the stuff. We don't know who the original person was who built this collection so it is a guess on vintages of things.

You could try the wayback machine for nesail.com and for slegers international. That might help with some.
For nesail,. there was some javascript so some menus don't work for navigation but the sitemap works.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080116...om/sitemap.php

Unfortunately not much was captured on the slegers.com site.

If you have a collection of paper stuff with the sailplanes. I'll bet you can find a paper catalog at least from Northeast Sailplanes.
Last edited by mlachow; Jun 18, 2021 at 01:40 PM.
Jun 18, 2021, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
There was an all wood kit for the Bird Of Time as well. So possibly from the kit or it may be built from plans which came out first before the kits started showing up. The more slender looking than typical fuselage was likely a mod by the builder.
Yes, Mark's Models had a kit, I almost forgot about that one.

A hint for you, if there are old kit boxes being used to store things like plans and wood, those might give you a clue as to which sailplanes you have.
Jun 18, 2021, 03:25 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
I thought the Sky Bird series had plug in wings. If this measures out to 118" I'm guessing it is a BOT
Jun 18, 2021, 06:10 PM
Alt+24=↑ Alt+25=↓ Use num keys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_b21
Any idea of this sailplanes name or design
As far as design is concerned it looks like one of these:

Latest blog entry: Ultimate Stair Curve for OpenTX
Jun 18, 2021, 06:47 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
It’s not a Lil Bird or Skybird. They didn’t use the floating stabs. Looks a lot like BOT with a modified fuse to reduce nose weight.
Jun 18, 2021, 10:44 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
Itís not a Lil Bird or Skybird. They didnít use the floating stabs. Looks a lot like BOT with a modified fuse to reduce nose weight.
Or simply made skinnier because the guy liked the look?

Likely has a layer of fiberglass cloth and resin between the paint and the wood to toughen it up even for casual sport flying.
Jun 19, 2021, 05:23 AM
I love the lines of the tail!
Jun 19, 2021, 06:41 AM
Morning!
I just so happened to see a post on "FB" this morning of a builder by the name of Ted Torpin, who is building a model that looks just like this one. It's the same molded body with the familiar BOT wings. Maybe it's one of his creations?

Cheers!
Lyle
Jun 19, 2021, 06:57 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
FWIW, the skinnier fuse is shown as an option on the original plans for the BOT
Jun 19, 2021, 03:20 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Wide one originally designed for a Kraft "Brick" servo system maybe??

Quick Reply