This thread is privately moderated by thermaled, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 17, 2021, 09:38 AM
built flown + crashed it
Thread OP
Build Log

As sticky as... (lost foam pitcheron build)

Have had another light wind session with the AHI, same slope, but a hot sunny summer day this time with some booming thermals coming through. Was accompanied by a couple of hundred Crows and four Buzzards, made thermals much easier to spot, and my Ahi spent a lot of time circling at the bottom of the stack with those four Buzzards above , kind of cheating really, but did enjoy my session. Stopped of at the DS ridge on the way home, still had a bit of charge left in the second Ahi battery, and have seen a few videos of people DSing Ahi`s, what could go wrong? The main slopes are 80-100m high, but the ridge is about half that, so lift was a bit light, but once I had a bit of height, dived down the back and punched out into the lift at the front again a few times, needed to convince myself that it is possible to DS in this light of a wind. Then began a few circles and punching out on the first signs of slowing down, got up to 30 or 40 consecutive circuits before the inevitable happened, cross wind brain fart incident of some description sent the plane into the hill, now the rudder is detached. Damit, no willpower, just had to do it, but learnt my lesson, get some epp planes in the air for that, still, impressed it works in such a light wind though, and only have to tape up the rudder and its good to go.
In the workshop, have made a little progress. Forgotten just how sticky things get with a lost foam lay up. Think sticky the stick insect stuck on a sticky bun kind of sticky. Had a wad of glass tows on one finger, sissors stuck to another, and a brush hanging off my thumb, kept my tools conveniently close though! The layup was 6oz glass, 9oz uni glass and a 6 to 8ozs glass sock over the top, wrapped in video tape to hold it together and compress the layers, Going to use peel ply and a vac bag next time, not impressed with this method, video tape is well stuck, and used the shinny side against the layup, just does not work.....dont do it. With the foam removed and a lot of sanding, fuz weighs around 8ozs, still needs a bit of filler, more sanding and paint, but will be happy if I can keep it under 10ozs, and nice and strong, even got some carbon tows around the canopy under the main layup.
Last edited by thermaled; Jul 25, 2021 at 08:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply