FrSky Tandem X20 Review

Once again, FrSky has stepped up their game with an exciting new transmitter. Follow along to learn what the all new Tandem X20 has to offer.

Splash

Introduction

Radio Weight: 809g (without battery)
Operating System: EthOS
Protocol: 2.4ghz: ACCESS and ACCST 900Mhz: ACCESS
Number of channels:16/24
Screen Resolution: 800x480
Available From:Aloft Hobbies and other fine stores
Price:$300.00

FrSky has been a player in the RC world for a while now, and has supplied pilots with great hardware at affordable prices. From the original Taranis to the newest Tandem X20, they have listened to what pilots want, and delivered time and time again. This will review will cover the new Tandem X20 series. Featuring a top mounted screen and dual band 2.4/900 RF unit, the X20 comes out of the box with the latest FrSky protocols. In addition, the transmitter is both easy to hold and use.

Box Contents

Impressions

The top mounted screen guarantees that you can easily see any telemetry data while you are flying, and its lightweight design (less than 1Kg) means you can fly for extended periods, even if you don't use a neck strap.

The dual RF deck offers both 2.4Ghz and 900Mhz, meaning you don’t have to add a module if you want to do some long range exploration. Internal antennas for both, aid in keeping a clean design, although you do have the option to add external antennas if you wish. The X20 features the new ACCESS protocol, as well as being backward compatible with the 2.4Ghz ACCST D16 protocol. Simply put, you can use this radio with ACCST receivers you already own, in addition to the latest available hardware from FrSky.

You also get an 800x480 full color touch screen, Hall effect sensors for the gimbals, Haptic alerts, a “Lite” module bay, and the new ETHOS operating system. The ETHOS operating system really shines in my opinion. In the past, one of the advantages of using FrSky radios was the option to use OpenTX firmware for the programming flexibility many wanted. With ETHOS, you get the same flexibility in an easy to use package that's upgradable. I found that model setup with ETHOS was straightforward and user friendly.

One of the differences I noticed was in the binding procedure. With ACCESS, you first register the RX to the Transmitter, then you complete the bind. The nice thing is that when binding, you don't have to press any buttons. Once the RX is registered, all you have to do to complete the bind is select the bind option in the RF System screen and let the radio handle the rest. This means you can register a RX when you purchase it, and then put it away until you have a model ready for it to go into. I think this will be handy if, like me, you tend to keep extra RX’s around for those “must buy” airplanes. If you register your receivers to the transmitter as soon as you buy them, you don’t need to put your hands on the RX and try to keep that tiny button pressed after you have installed the RX in a tight fuselage!

I could go on for quite a while about ETHOS and it’s features, but instead of making you read a lot of text, why don’t you have a look at the video, instead.

As you can see, ETHOS is a very feature rich OS that offers plenty of options and flexibility for customization. In addition, it’s laid out in a logical manner that makes it easy to navigate and find the options you want to adjust quickly. When you combine this with the hardware and form factor of the X20, you have a winning combination!

Pluses and Minuses

Pluses

• Intuitive operating system
  • Lightweight design
  • Comfortable layout

Minuses

• Lack of a “JR” style module bay may prevent the use of modules you already own

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jun 22, 2021 at 10:01 AM..
Jun 22, 2021, 09:52 AM
•••••••••••
$376 it's the price of the combo (two receivers) but Tx only is $300.... same price as the NX6 with 6ch

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Search/De...=nx6%20channel
Jun 22, 2021, 10:25 AM
Design Engineer
I've had the Tandem X20 for about a month now. And it is amazing! More channels than I know what to do with. Easy to use and set up my models. Well built and fits nicely in the hand!
Jun 23, 2021, 12:42 PM
Crashing with style since 1994
Nice to see FrSky to keeping pushing forward. Great price and nice quality they´ve achieved.
kudos to them..!!
Jun 24, 2021, 08:49 PM

Hd

when will the HD be released?
Jun 27, 2021, 03:06 PM
Nice looking Tx but I won't touch Frsky with a barge pole after their ACCST to Access change and refusal to fix their acknowledged ACCST R9 fw bug once Access was released.... yet they were able to, and did fix the Access version.

Take heed.... If this is how they support existing customers who have invested in their products, effectively making my R9 system a paperweight, or liability at best, they simply wont be getting any more of my money, nor should they yours with that business model.
Jun 30, 2021, 08:43 AM
Without comparability for 3rd party modules (like TBS crossfire or tracer, multi-protocol, etc...), I don't see how this radio will be useful for all pilots
Jun 30, 2021, 10:06 AM
FA3PR9WM79
I have Beta version. I love it. I also have a QX7, an X9E, a TH9x with an AR9x board, a Jumper T16 Pro Hall V2, a couple of SYMA toy grade radios, and POS Jumper T12.

Until ETHOS is finished, the X20 supports external modules in PPM mode and some folks have printed JR to "Mini" adapters.

Personally I cannot see myself using my X20 for flying toys. I have the MPM from the T12 in the TH9x and the T16 has an internal MPM so I have that covered.

For those of you on the fence, I say stick around. The hardware has been working from the start and as new builds of ETHOS are released (1.0.10 RC-1 was released about 9 hours ago) existing functionalities are being fine tuned and more features are being added.
Jun 30, 2021, 10:45 AM
•••••••••••
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
Without comparability for 3rd party modules (like TBS crossfire or tracer, multi-protocol, etc...), I don't see how this radio will be useful for all pilots
https://github.com/FrSkyRC/ETHOS-Fee...ment-839613220
Jul 26, 2021, 10:32 AM
Dennleo

Voice/Switch action

I have created wav files and want to play the files when switches change position. ( dual rates, flaps, gear, etc.). I setup special functions to play file but have not bin able to get this working. I think the files are located in the correct location on the sad card since I can select them from special function.
Any help would be appreciated.
Jul 26, 2021, 11:12 AM
What is the format of your wav files? I am not sure in ETHOS but there might be a limit on the name length. Mine all work, but the names are no more than 8 characters and then the .wav extension, like bingo.wav
Jul 26, 2021, 11:50 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennleo
I have created wav files and want to play the files when switches change position. ( dual rates, flaps, gear, etc.). I setup special functions to play file but have not bin able to get this working. I think the files are located in the correct location on the sad card since I can select them from special function.
Any help would be appreciated.
Are your special functions not activating (ie not going bold) or is the track not playing?

The files need to be 32KHz 16 bit mono wav files (same format as for OpenTX)
Jul 26, 2021, 03:10 PM
Dennleo
The special function works but the files do not play. I will make them again and hopefully will find a program that lets me save in that format.

Quick Reply