Jun 16, 2021, 06:54 AM
EdgeTX Lurker
Thread OP
Discussion

Official EdgeTX Discussion Thread

Good morning / afternoon / evening depending where and when in the world this finds you!

If you are not aware yet, EdgeTX is a fork of OpenTX, with the goal of having a much quicker and shorter development cycle, with fixed release dates.

We have an active community on Discord (https://discord.gg/wF9wUKnZ6H) if you have any questions or get stuck with anything.

If you would like to support the project financially, we have a donation system setup at Open Collective. So if you want to help out to run the planned future online-build system and help devs purchase hardware (e.g. radio systems & development equipment) you can set-up a regular donation, or send an one-time donation via the following link: https://opencollective.com/edgetx/donate

The usage of the money will be reported at OpenCollective and will be transparent to all to see where the money is flowing. This is a distinguishing feature of present bigger R/C radio open-source software projects and was from the beginning crucial for the EdgeTX project steering members.

Release notes to the latest version , as well as information as to how to get started, will always be at the following URL: https://github.com/EdgeTX/edgetx/releases

Below are the bulk of the release notes for the latest release for your convenience:
Quote:
Highlights of this release include:

Installation packages for Companion and Simulator for Windows, Mac and Linux
Preliminary support for FlySky NV14
Lua: Widgets have touch screen support also, including slide and tap count events (see the LibGUI and EventDemo widgets for an example of how they work)
Lua: Long running scripts are preempted instead of killed
Lua: Has basic file system support
Preliminary colour theming support - available under Screen Setup. Ensure you have updated your SD card files if you wish to have the extra stock themes created by @JimB40, and also see our initial theme directory and some of the cool themes that have already been submitted.
Onscreen keyboard for touch capable color LCD transmitters
Model notes icon in menu carousel if model notes present
Model category editor
CRSF: Send updated receiver/model ID if changed (i.e. for ELRS model match)
CRSF: Added option for 50mW power level
CRSF: Added higher module speed option for experimentation with higher speeds
MPM: Protocol list is now sorted alphabetically
MPM: Query module for supported protocols and subprotocols - no more invalid protocols! (note: v1.3.3.0 MPM firmware is needed for this to function correctly)
Max channel UI glitches resolved
Added more widget layouts - 4+2,1+3,2+3 & 3x3 (plus some NV14 optimised ones)
Fixes to Bluetooth trainer options for supported color LCD transmitters
Fixed being able to use GVs for output min, max and subtrims
Fixed trainer calibration crash
Fixed using internal MPM as spectrum analyser altering model setup
Fixed scaling options on inputs page (for telemetry sensors)
Decrease latency when using USB joystick mode
ADC driver code cleanup allowing for better maintainability
Changed to better supported modern real-time operating system (FreeRTOS) which fixes timing issues such as mixer glitches and will ease future development
Many unmentioned bug fixes and tweaks - please view the milestone for this release to see them all.

UI/UX behavioral changes and new capabilties:

To make widgets full screen, you double tap. And to bring up the menu options for a widget, you tap and hold. And (as before), to exit the widget fullscreen mode, you long press RTN.
You can long press/long enter on switch selection choice drop downs to flip between the “normal” and inverted states for switches
Two positions switches now also have inverted states based on community feedback
You can long press/long enter on the input/mixes custom curve choice drop-down to jump to curve edit screen
On pop-up choice screens, i.e. switch and source screens, you must press the list item or press ENT for it to be saved. i.e. it might be highlighted because you moved the switch or stick, but this is not saved yet. Pressing RTN or touching ‘away’ from the list will revert to/retain the previously set value.
When selecting widgets in 'Screens Setup', after selecting the widget that goes in a particular slot, the options window for the widget will be shown, rather than having to select the widget options entry manually.

Supported radios
Black & white LCD screen

RadioMaster T8 / T8 Pro
RadioMaster TX12
Jumper T12 / T12 Plus / T12 Pro Hall
Jumper T-Lite
FrSky QX7 / QX7S / QX7 ACCESS / QX7 ACCESS
FrSky X9 Lite / X9 Lite S
FrSky X-Lite / X-Lite S / X-Lite Pro
FrSky X9D / X9D+ / X9D+ SE
FrSky X9D+ 2019 / X9D+ SE 2019

Color LCD screen

RadioMaster/Eachine TX16S / RadioMaster TX16S MAX
Jumper T16 / T16 Plus / T16 Pro Hall
Jumper T18 / T18 Lite / T18 Pro
FrSky X10 / X10S / X10 Express / X10S Express
FrSky X12S / X12S-IRSM
FlySky NV14 (preliminary)

Limitations and Known Issues
General:

As with 2.4, if you are converting from OTX 2.3.x on color screen radios, due to incompatibility in how the settings were stored, any panel/widget setups will be lost. This DOES NOT apply if you are upgrading from ETX 2.4.
Theme support is in an early stage of development and is subject to change. As such, for anyone submitting and working on themes, expect changes in 2.6 as we continue to develop and improve on theming capabilities, in response your feedback on this capability. Due to a font mapping limitation which will be addressed in 2.6, @ will not be shown if you use that in a theme as part of the author information to be displayed.

Companion

Linux AppImage: Font sizes do not scale with DPI, so if you have a situation where you need the font size to be larger, run the AppImage with QT_FONT_DPI=96 (changing 96 to suit your needs) added to the front of the command to run the image (i.e. when running from the command line, or via a shortcut).
Mac OS X 10.12 is the oldest supported MacOS version supported by this release of Companion
Windows: Based on community feedback Companion for Windows is only available as a 64bit package, meaning it will not run on 32bit versions of Windows. However, whilst unsupported, it may be possible to build a 32bit version yourself if required.

FlySky NV14:

Settings and models CANNOT be converted from OpenTX or derivatives, you need to start with a clean slate
Flysky AFHDS3 protocol is currently unavailable for external module
There is no NEXT/PREV or PAGE UP/DOWN hardware key emulation, meaning lua scripts that are not touch friendly are basically unusable. This is scheduled for 2.6.0

FlySky digital hall gimbals on TX16S:

In combination with FLYSKY_HALL_STICKS, cannot yet use wired trainer in slave/student mode

Last edited by pfeerick; Nov 04, 2021 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Add donation information
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2021, 06:55 AM
EdgeTX Lurker
Thread OP
Reserved for Future Use

Initial RCG discussion thread on EdgeTX:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-fork-for-2021

Installation guide (how to install / get started with EdgeTX):
https://github.com/EdgeTX/edgetx.git...allation-Guide

Work in Progress tool for flashing firmware to transmitter in DFU mode, and preparing SD card data and voice pack:
https://github.com/EdgeTX/flasher

SD card content repo, with ready to download zip files in the releases:
https://github.com/EdgeTX/edgetx-sdcard

SD card voice packs, with ready to download zip files in releases:
https://github.com/EdgeTX/edgetx-sdcard-sounds

Docker build environment to build your own firmware:
https://github.com/EdgeTX/build-edgetx

Guides on building EdgeTX on Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows:
https://github.com/EdgeTX/edgetx/wiki
Last edited by pfeerick; Jul 24, 2021 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Added link to installation guide
Jun 16, 2021, 07:06 AM
By the way, something that has fallen through the cracks, we have now support for Chinese and Taiwanese languages. For now it needs however to be self-compiled, as we are still lacking the infrastructure to offer different languages.
Jun 16, 2021, 07:16 AM
OlliW
fantastic, congratulations

EDIT: my English is bad
Last edited by OlliW; Jun 16, 2021 at 09:50 AM.
Jun 16, 2021, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
just for memo: some of the points listed under "that were slated for OTX 2.3.12" seem to actually be in otx2.3.12. I would suggest to carefully go over the list again and remove those. May look like nitpicking, but I guess we do not want to upset anyone by saying wrong things.
I'm not an english reference, but I think it means they are actually in OTX 2.3.12, but I might be wrong. "slated" seems to be a synonym for "covered".
Jun 16, 2021, 08:50 AM
EdgeTX Lurker
Thread OP
I don't see the problem... It is stated that it is a fork of 2.3.11 but also contains features that were slated for 2.3.12. The fact that 2.3.12 is finally released does not change that it was forked prior to 2.3.12 being released.
Jun 16, 2021, 09:34 AM
OlliW
hm, fair enough, my English might not be sufficient to read it correctly

> "slated" seems to be a synonym for "covered".

yeah, this might be my problem, I don't read it as "being included" but as "not considered

EDIT: so, 5 min later, doing English language googling shows that "slated" and "slanted" usually mean quite the opposite ...
(it seems possible to slant something and mean it in a bad way as it seems, but it seems that it more usually doesn't mean it) ...o yeah

thx for the clarification and English lesson
Last edited by OlliW; Jun 16, 2021 at 09:51 AM.
Jun 16, 2021, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
hm, fair enough, my English might not be sufficient to read it correctly

> "slated" seems to be a synonym for "covered".

yeah, this might be my problem, I don't read it as "being included" but as "not considered

EDIT: so, 5 min later, doing English language googling shows that "slated" and "slanted" usually mean quite the opposite ...
(it seems possible to slant something and mean it in a bad way as it seems, but it seems that it more usually doesn't mean it) ...o yeah

thx for the clarification and English lesson
LoL! Believe me, you're not alone! I add to do my research as well, which is why I prefer to trust in native speakers for these kind of things (I did not write it myself).
Jun 16, 2021, 11:35 AM
📌📌📌📌📌📌
unsubscribed. there's no need of a second thread.
Jun 17, 2021, 01:55 PM

Missing widgets

Just finished converting my Radiomaster tx16s over to EdgeTx. Your "How to install EdgeTX for the first time" was very clear and worked great. After all was done and models from OpenTx converted none of the widgets were included in the conversion. Did I do something wrong or is this a limitation of the conversion program. I had added the radio and models folders to the SD card but was wondering if I should have included the widgets folder before the conversion took place. Having to replace the widgets for over 20 models would be very time consuming, almost as much as programming the models. Hoping that I have missed something during the conversion and look forward to your reply. Fortunately I am still using my Jumper T16 for flying and using the Radiomaster for trial runs.

I am really impressed what you have accomplished so far with the touch screen with EdgeTX and am anxious to follow future developments

Thanks for all you have done with EdgeTX. Pretty amazing work you have accomplished.

Dave
Last edited by 376782; Jun 17, 2021 at 08:42 PM. Reason: misunderstanding
Jun 17, 2021, 02:55 PM
Alt+24=↑ Alt+25=↓ Use num keys
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376782
PS. I'm not sure why some are against having a separate thread for EdgeTX.
Who's against that? I haven't run across any posts like that here in the Radios forum.
Jun 17, 2021, 06:05 PM
📌📌📌📌📌📌
subscribed. the other thread just got closed down.
Jun 17, 2021, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Who's against that? I haven't run across any posts like that here in the Radios forum.
my mistake Mike. I didn't realize there were 2 different EdgeTX threads
Jun 18, 2021, 02:53 AM
Quote:
my mistake Mike. I didn't realize there were 2 different EdgeTX threads
Good, now that this issue has been dealt with, can we please get back to the topic? As of now, we have received a lot of feedback on the first RC1, and also a heap of tests / new issues, which will be fixed shortly, so we can move on.

So, thanks everyone for the tests and reported issues!
Jun 18, 2021, 03:54 AM
EdgeTX Lurker
Thread OP
Quote:
After all was done and models from OpenTx converted none of the widgets were included in the conversion. Did I do something wrong or is this a limitation of the conversion program. I had added the radio and models folders to the SD card but was wondering if I should have included the widgets folder before the conversion took place. Having to replace the widgets for over 20 models would be very time consuming, almost as much as programming the models. Hoping that I have missed something during the conversion and look forward to your reply.
I'm afraid not, it's a limitation of how the options were saved in the model binary file in OTX 2.3 vs ETX v2.4 (OTX didn't include the 'type' of the options), but should be a one-time problem. Moving the widgets folder wouldn't have helped you as it only stores the actual widgets that are available to the various models, not any settings.

Quick Reply