Apr 24, 2002, 02:34 AM
Thread OP

Almost scale V-1 Buzz Bomb for edf 300

Well I'm just a few hours away from completing my plans for a V-1 Buzz bomb. It's been two weeks in the designing which says alot considering it's all I do for 6 hours a night. All up weight is expected to be around 13-15 ounces. I'm gonna start construction here in a few days. It's gonna be powered by an edf 300 and a either a speed 280BB or 300. Depends on what I find out on the market as far as performance in this size motor. It's a balsa and ply model (or will be with very little ply. In fact only 1 piece is ply unless I find some strength issues which I doubt I will. It's gonna be almost scale except for a slightly increased wingspan and the fact that you can't make a edf duct look like a pulse jet simply because it would mean reducing the extake on the duct almost 50% which is bad for edf's. But other than that it's pretty scale. Once I start it shouldn't take me less than a week to finish. So stay tuned and I'll try to post some under construction pics along with a in flight picture of it. Just for those who are interested here's some dimensions...
Wingspan 21.5 inches
Length 28 inches from nose to the tip of the rudder or 25 1/2 inches from nose to the end of the fuselage.

Wish me luck!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2002, 03:49 AM
Thread OP

Hmmm...

Well looks like my weight figures may be a little high. But I'm gonna have to start building and check the strength of the airframe. Just some more info on it... The wing will not be removable for now unless I decide that it is necessary as it would add weight and the model is pretty small. It will have 2 hatches, one will access the battery pack which is mounted forward on top of the wing, and the other will give you access to everything else. IE servo's, ESC, and Tx... Controls are ailerons and elevator started to add rudder but the rudder on the V-1 is small and wouldn't be worth the weight of the extra servo and wires. There is 1 piece of plywood in the whole thing which is an 1/8 inch thick 3 1/8x3 1/8 inch plate which holds the servos, ESC, and Tx. It's mounted between the battery pack and the edf unit. All the plans are done and I'm going to go pick up some wood as soon as I get off work. On a scale of 1 to 10 for ease of building I'd give it a 11. It's so simple in design that if you can build a $6.00 rubber powered model you could build this. The only parts in it that aren't square or round is the wing spars. But if you look at a V-1 it's basically a bomb with wings and a motor on top. Well thats what it actually is a flying bomb. Hopefully it will not land like the V-1's of WWII.
Apr 24, 2002, 04:15 AM
Thread OP
One more thing before I get off work...
If any body out there is interested in buying the plans once I've tested the aircraft please let me know. If there's enough interest I'll have my uncle who works in CAD draw them up on his computer and print them out in 1:1 size since he has access to a variety of different size CAD printers. As for the plans right now I've drawn them all up by hand using a pencil, various measuring tools, and alot of blank paper. So if there's enough interest I'll go through the trouble of writing up instructions and having them drawn up and printed. I don't know what the cost will be it really depends on the amount of interest, and the cost of running a CAD printer cause it's not real cheap. Plus my time in designing and writing instructions. Should be around $20-$25 maybe more maybe less.

I designed the entire thing from a 3 view picture of the aircraft and scaled it up to fit a edf 300 and still be pretty scale aside from the wing span and the airfoil shape. I desided to go with a high lift semi-symetrical airfoil shape and only slightly increased the wingspan to keep the appearance scale as possible.
If anybody read my previous thread about an edf 300 SR-71 blackbird I have put it on hold as after a month of work on it I've decided to redesign it for 2 MF480 and retracts. Although the craft would have flown belly landing a SR-71 would be horrible IMHO and I wanted it to be fast as possible. So maybe in a few months I'll start that back up again.
Apr 24, 2002, 04:21 AM
Thread OP
Ok I talk to much but just to clarify...
This is not an idea or something I might be doing.
As of today this project is off the drawing board and on the building board. I should have the first one built in approx. 1-2 weeks at which point I shall toss it into the air and pray lol

So if your interested let me know cause it won't be but a few weeks before I will have it buzzing around the sky.

Maybe when it's done I'll find a Spitfire to play tag with lol.
Apr 24, 2002, 06:01 AM
Oz Member
You don't want a Spitfire, you want a REALLY BIG Heinkel He111 to carry/launch it
Apr 24, 2002, 06:09 AM
Thread OP
Maybe I should build a set of tracks and a skid so I can do ROG take-offs for realism effects lol
Apr 26, 2002, 10:35 PM
Thread OP
Ok building has started I'll have pics once I use up my roll of film and get it developed and have my friend scan them for me.
It took me about 4 hours to get the wing, fuselage, and elevator built. I still have to sheet the wing, and fuse. I say wing because it is built as one piece. It's semi symetrical with no dihedral. I'm still shaving sanding and saving weight at every possible corner. The fuse still needs nose and tail cones which I plane to shape out of pink foam. I must admit that the fuselage strength is poor but adequate, I'll have to see how much better it gets once it's sheeted. It should make a world of difference. Weight wise it's looking great, especially for it's size. It might come out lighter than I expected which if it does I'll probably add some fibreglass cloth to the lower half of the fuse for extra strength and durability. I'm looking at about .65 to 1 thrust to weight ratio as is with the sheeting it should be at around .5 to 1 which is where I expected to be when finished. Although I've learned some lightweight covering methods which should cut an ounce or two on the weight. Of course as I haven't tested the fan/motor yet I'm guessing at 7 ounces of thrust. So when it's all said and done it could be more like 1 to 1 or .5 to 1 with the fibreglass added. Strength should be good for belly landings on grass but anything hard will require a light touch unless I reinforce the bottom of the fuse. This thing has a ton of room for gear or micro retracts but it's wouldn't be scale with wheels lol. Although my designing skills are average (I just spend alot of time on it my building skills are average at best. I'm sure that if someone with some serious building skills like many I have seen on here could probably build it better just from experience. But if my weight and thrust with my fan/motor come out how I plan this thing should really zip. I expect handlaunching with ease and mild to excellent speed depending on the motor but how it stands it should fly well with good duration. As soon as I get pics I'll post them up. After this project is done I'm gonna start back on my SR-71 and resize it for MF480's instead of edf 50's with retracts.
Apr 29, 2002, 01:24 AM
Thread OP
Ok sheeting of the wing/fuselage is finished. I don't have the weight yet but it's light, if I threw it out my window it would probably glide a good ways. I'm really new at this self designing/building and this will be my first fully finished project. Although I must admit that a V-1 is not a difficult subject to design/build. But thats why I picked it, it's really more of a learning step for me. I've come up with alot of ideas and changed my design at least 5 times, not to mention ideas for future designs. I covered the top of everything with green ultracoat and the bottom with a doodo brown color. Looks better than I had hoped anyway. I know there are alot of more interesting design/construction posts in here but oh well I'm at work and have nothing better to do. Pictures are being developed and then will be scanned/uploaded. As soon as I get my fan/motor in I'll be ready to do some flight testing although I'mm thinking due to the small wing size it's gonna need a bungee launch but should result in it being quick for it's size but I'll have to wait and see. Wish me luck!
Sep 07, 2004, 12:26 AM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
what ever happened?
Jun 28, 2009, 01:15 PM
No such thing as overpowered
5 years on and Im building a V-1 and possibly a heinkel to launch it

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1064298

Quick Reply