What the Heck Wednesday - Trebuchet Take Off!

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a new way to launch your planes. It mounts to your car and offers a convenient, compact trebuchet system with which you can fling your plane right into the air with minimal space required.

Splash

The Most Absurd Way to Launch a Plane

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a new way to launch your planes. It mounts to your car and offers a convenient, compact trebuchet system with which you can fling your plane right into the air with minimal space required.

It's called the AMORES Robotics AVTO-01 UAV Launcher and here's the rundown on the system. "The AVTO-01 Launcher is based on the patent pending Assisted Vertical Take-off technology developed by the AMORES Robotics Ltd. This technology enables the vertical launch of fixed wing UAVs (RPAs) from small spots. Provides enough altitude to avoid bushes, camp accessories and even small trees. The launch is powered by the potential energy of the transport vehicle, while the arming is supported by an electrical winch. No rubber bands, no pneumatics, no electronics, no sensitive parts. It is robust and cost effective solution for unmanned technology service providers."

OK, I get it's not aimed at hobby pilots, but I had to check the calendar and make sure it wasn't an April Fools Day joke. Anyway, what do you guys think of this thing? Would you try it if one showed up at an event?

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jun 16, 2021 at 06:38 AM..
Jun 16, 2021, 07:40 AM
Cool name for it would be The AssEnder (ascender).
Jun 16, 2021, 07:40 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
LOL! Perfect.
Jun 16, 2021, 08:01 AM
"No, Mr. Mechanic, my husband does not go four-wheeling. I have no idea why the rear shocks are shot!'

Andy
Jun 16, 2021, 08:17 AM
Design Engineer
... well there ya go...

Now i kinda want to make one for my GP Spirit. But powered by my weight. Maybe?
Jun 16, 2021, 08:25 AM
Life Long Modeler
Might have some great military applications. Especially if the launch vehicle is in a "hide " position
Jun 16, 2021, 09:25 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
No rubber bands
No pneumatics
No electronics
No sensors
No muscles.

How many times got the plane spiked on the hood before teething problems were ironed out?
I love the idea though, thinking out of the box.

Vriendelijke groeten en wees voorzichtig, Ron
• Without a watt-meter you're in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
E-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jun 16, 2021 at 09:31 AM.
Jun 16, 2021, 10:16 AM
I would gladly try it with "your" airplane!
Jun 16, 2021, 10:25 AM
DFS#000178
That seems like an awful lot of effort for something you could do with your right arm.
Jun 16, 2021, 10:51 AM
That’s very innovative. I wonder if it could be used for EDFs?

R
Jun 16, 2021, 11:43 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by imodel
Thatís very innovative. I wonder if it could be used for EDFs?

R
It probably could with a higher launch speed. It says the launch speed is 12 meters/sec which is about 26mph which is probably too slow for a lot of EDFs that'd actually need a bungee/catapult launch.
Jun 16, 2021, 03:19 PM
I would have kept my CRV if I would have known I could have turned it into a technical.

But I can definitely see launching an airplane or two through the windshield.
Jun 16, 2021, 04:59 PM
I wonder if the DLG guys know about this lol.
Jun 16, 2021, 09:19 PM
yank and bank!!
The video claims it's launching a 10Kg aircraft...... You're not hand launching any 10Kg aircraft by hand
Jun 17, 2021, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat
The video claims it's launching a 10Kg aircraft...... You're not hand launching any 10Kg aircraft by hand
challenge accepted

Quick Reply