How To Install Custom Servo Hatches

Having nice clean lines on your servo hatches makes the plane look better and helps to reduce some of the OCD madness you might have.

Splash

How To Video

Having nice clean lines on your servo hatches makes the plane look better and helps to reduce some of the OCD madness you might have. Sometimes stock hatches are poorly made, but that doesn't mean you are stuck with them. It is possible to make custom hatches that allow for a perfectly flush fit.

YouTuber Warbird Mitchell put together a video showing how he installs his custom hatches. He's using his Pilatus Porter in the video, but the process should work for just about any wooden aircraft wing.

Check out the video below and let me know your thoughts on the process.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jun 14, 2021 at 05:25 PM..
Jun 14, 2021, 07:54 AM
Where did you get the hatches from?
Jun 14, 2021, 08:17 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I'm assuming he custom made them, but I'm not 100% on that.
Jun 14, 2021, 12:40 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Looks like a neat installation.

I do have a related question about one of the hatches. I'm not familiar with the Pilates Porter, so those who are may think the answer is obvious. The output slot on the hatch closest to the root runs span wise instead of cord wise. I'm guessing this isn't for a control surface. What's it for?

- Roger
Jun 14, 2021, 01:19 PM
Quote:
'm not familiar with the Pilates Porter
To start with, it's the Pilatus Porter. Pilates is an exercise routine.

As to those hatches, could they have something to do with the wing retainers?

CD
Jun 14, 2021, 09:54 PM
I plead, "auto-correct."

That's what I was thinking, but all the planes I've had with plug-in wings are bolted from inside the fuselage. And, if they were for access to bolts from the outside, why the offset slots in the covers?

- Roger
Jun 15, 2021, 10:34 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
I suspect the orientation of the output slots is simply an error.
Jun 16, 2021, 02:28 PM
killickb
Very nice. Have done very similar but without a laser cutter. Was a pretty fiddly project with jig saw and sander, never got it quite as neat and tidy.
Jun 22, 2021, 01:52 PM

Hatches on s Porter

Those hatches you see on the wings is for the special retaining clips that secure the wing.. A very unique way to secure your wings. I have a Porter. Putting the wings on is quite easy once you do it a few times. They have nothing to do with the servos. The also have composite servo mounting plates for the servos and all that comes through the wing surface is the servo arm. You can buy 2 sizes of servo plates from World Engines separately. They strong and work great. Have bought them for other projects and they work great.
Jun 22, 2021, 01:52 PM

Hatches on a Porter

Those hatches you see on the wings is for the special retaining clips that secure the wing.. A very unique way to secure your wings. I have a Porter. Putting the wings on is quite easy once you do it a few times. They have nothing to do with the servos. The also have composite servo mounting plates for the servos and all that comes through the wing surface is the servo arm. You can buy 2 sizes of servo plates from World Engines separately. They strong and work great. Have bought them for other projects and they work great.
Jun 24, 2021, 10:47 AM
It looks like the hatches may be from National Balsa. https://www.nationalbalsa.com/mobile...t.aspx?id=3547

- Roger

Quick Reply