Jun 14, 2021, 05:49 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
Thread OP
Discussion

Henseleit TDSF

Here's my latest big heli, the Henseleit TDSF. 'SF stand for 'slow flyer' it's inspired by superlight slow flying 3D planes. It's a full size 700 that comes as standard with 710mm blades but it weighs about the same as a typical 500 heli. Mine is under 2.5Kg ready to fly, including battery. I can still take a bit more weight out by trimming the excessively long ESC wires etc.

It's a brilliant concept. It makes for a much cheaper build because the electronics are all what you would usually find in a 500. The battery is 5S 4500mAh, a cheap low 30C rate is fine, no need for expensive high discharge packs. It's a fully 3D capable heli but will return up to 18 minutes flight time. Even at the maximum recommended head speed of 1400rpm I get 9 minutes flights! At 1400rpm due to the crazy light weight, it's performance is what you would expect of a normal 700 at 2000+RPM.

I cant believe other manufacturers have not been inspired to try something similar. Other claimed 'lightweight' 700 helis are at least twice the weight of the TDSF. This heli really is one in the eye for those who claim weight doesnt matter for RC helis!

to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2021, 02:15 PM
If I ever were to have a 700 size heli, this would be the one. Superb piece of engeneering.
Jun 18, 2021, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
I did some tidying up of the wiring, trimming down the wires removed 40g of weight and it neater
Jul 15, 2021, 09:54 PM
Quite impressive, 5S, 4500mA and 18 minutes in the sky ?

Anyway the kit price is too high for a bad flier like me and a crash would cost me X times more the price of random 500 size heli
Jul 16, 2021, 01:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal
Quite impressive, 5S, 4500mA and 18 minutes in the sky ?

Anyway the kit price is too high for a bad flier like me and a crash would cost me X times more the price of random 500 size heli
Yes, you can get 18 minutes without any trouble by running lower rpm. I was toying with the idea of putting both batteries in to make a 5s 9000mAh pack and see how long I could get, but it would be quite boring!

As for price, it's not really fair to compare a 700 to the price of a 500, but if you compare the TDSF to any other 700 it's actually great value. Building a 'mainstream' 700 such as a SAB Goblin or a Mikado Logo etc would cost you a lot more.
Jul 19, 2021, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie
if you compare the TDSF to any other 700 it's actually great value.
How much is a crash ? tail boom, main shaft, canopy, gearing....
Jul 21, 2021, 05:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal
How much is a crash ? tail boom, main shaft, canopy, gearing....
I was talking about the ready to fly build cost in comparison with other 700s.

However all the parts prices are on Henseleit's website. It's a 'high end' product made in Germany so never going to be cheap on individual parts cost compared to some far eastern manufactured helis but it's not too bad.
Main shaft: 19 Euro
Main gear: 45 Euro
Carbon fibre tail boom: 69 Euro
Canopy: 79 Euro

Taking a SAB Kraken as a comparison, those same three parts are 36 Euro, 79 Euro, 98 Euro and 119 Euro respectively.. and the Kraken has at least 3 x as many parts so likely to have to replace more parts in a crash. Other brands will be cheaper of course, SAB are VERY expensive helis and parts these days, but still very popular despite the 'boutique brand' price.
Last edited by Smoggie; Jul 21, 2021 at 05:29 AM.
Jul 29, 2021, 09:28 AM
Quote:
SAB are VERY expensive helis and parts these days, but still very popular despite the 'boutique brand' price.
100% agreed....and yet people do think it's the drone business which is killing RC helis evolution.
Aug 06, 2021, 08:14 AM

Next batch, next year??

I visited the https://henseleit-helicopters.de/?ca...Shop-shop.html yesterday.

I saw the TDSF kit which showed 1-2 weeks shipping time, so I tried to order the kit plus all the items that needed to complete.
But the tail blades are out of stock so the order can't be completed.

I then sent an email to Sabine and here is her reply.

"the 1-2- weeks is a mistake. I changed it – no kits available. We are collecting interest to decide in autumn if there will be another batch next year"

Oh well.
Aug 06, 2021, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
I recommend putting your name down on the waiting list. It doesnt cost you anything to put your name down and the more people who express an interest the greater the chance that a new batch will be made.

This is a unique and amazing heli, well worth the wait.
Aug 06, 2021, 02:22 PM

Speaking of the unique & amazing machine

Quote:
I recommend putting your name down on the waiting list. It doesnt cost you anything to put your name down and the more people who express an interest the greater the chance that a new batch will be made.

This is a unique and amazing heli, well worth the wait.
Yes, Sabine put my name on the list.
Also I saw that if it's a GO, they will make 175 units this time.

BTW, speaking about the unique & amazing machine I just pulled the trigger on this V-22. It took Thomas a month to build and test fly my Marine kit with full set of retracts.

https://www.rotormast.com/

Sorry for slightly off topic.
Last edited by tanasit; Aug 06, 2021 at 02:36 PM.
Aug 15, 2021, 01:22 PM
My ready to fly 500 (stretch Protos 500 running 470 blades) weighs 1850g.... but I do like the idea of a super-light 700, giving long, quiet flight times.
Aug 15, 2021, 02:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
My ready to fly 500 (stretch Protos 500 running 470 blades) weighs 1850g.... but I do like the idea of a super-light 700, giving long, quiet flight times.
That's a good weight for a 500, the XLPower 520 comes in at similar weight. It would be really interesting to see what could be done if someone took the single minded weight saving approach of the TDSF and applied it to a smaller heli. You could be talking about a 500 (running 500mm blades) weighing less than 1kg rtf.
Sep 03, 2021, 02:47 AM
Been a fan of 'light is right' for years, Plochinger Acrobat SE and now a VooDoo 400 have been my standard 'big boy toys' for the last 5-6 years but this looks a lot lighter (and bigger). My VooDoo running 465 mm blades burning electrons from a 4S 4000 mAh is good for 8 - 10 minutes mixed flight @ 1800 - 2000 on the head and is whisper quiet.

Quite a few Hensleites at our club but not seen this one yet.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......

Quick Reply