Jul 10, 2005, 12:43 AM
Nucking Futs
Thread OP

My ghetto "how to make servo cover fairings" thread.

OK, so what does one do with the itty bitty amount of resin he as after doing a fuse layup? Make servo cover/fairings of course!

When I say this was a quickie job, I mean it. I literally have less than 30 minutes in my mold construction and well, it shows. The cool part is they came out pretty nice and I know what to do for the next batch so follow along and enjoy.

Supplies-An HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene) cutting board from the 99 cent store (try to find one that has a 90 degree edge, not rounded like the pic). 4 servo screws. Saw. Belt Sander or Files. A Drill with a few small bits.

So you cut off an edge of the cutting board and shape your fairings. The width of the board is almost perfect. Use the 90 degree factory edge as the bottom. I used the TLAR method and imagined they were scaled up animal claws for the look. You can see that I made 2 different sizes for various servo arms. They are arch shaped for a reason that you will see in a second. Make them as symetrical as you can but no need to overdo it unless your obsessive compulsive.

Next, put them down on the board and drill from the bottom up into them for the servo screws. Watch your fingers!!!! I ended up countersinking mine because the screws were a little short. Make sure you leave about 3 finger widths of space between the fairing and the edge (I told you this was ghetto).

Now you have a mold that is ready for your layup.

Give the mold a quick shot of 3m77 to hold your composite. There's no need to wax or PVA because nothing sticks to HDPE! Put your mat on bias so the weave crosses over at a 45 degree angle instead of 90. The mat conforms much better that way and gets around those compound curves really well. The carbon/kevlar one shows this very well. Ignore the split, this comes later.

So once you have the mat all layed down nicely and you try to get all the fibers as aligned as possible (easier said than done) mix up a batch of resin. I happened to be using West Systems but even thinned 30 minute will get the job done, we're not laying up a mini-blade here. I wanted the bling-bling glossy look so I took the weight penalty and added a coat of 5 minute epoxy after the first coat had cured.

So after they have cured, take a scraper or plastic spatula and slip it between the cutting board and your new servo cover. The arches are a little tough but they'll free up with a little effort.

Now take your scroll saw, bandsaw or hacksaw and split them down the middle so you have a left and right. Then trim and sand the edges. The kevlar doesn't take kindly to sanding so get the cut clean and call it good.

Now you can put these under the covering of your next sloper and if you have to get in there you wont trash the whole plane removing them as the cover acts as a hatch.

Hope you enjoyed my ramble, I'm Rick James.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2005, 01:23 AM
cool stuff rick james

I never would have known about the cutting board. thanks for the street savvy method and photos. I'll be at temple tommorow for some ds. Stop by if you can.
Jul 10, 2005, 01:27 AM
Nucking Futs
Thread OP
thanks Mark.

I may just be at the hill. First gotta hit a carshow in Uplan but gonna keep the HP with me just in case the wind blows.
Jul 10, 2005, 08:48 AM
Very cool--- quick and dirty "getto covers"! It'll work just fine-- innovation at the ground floor level-- the backyard mechanic---!!!
Jul 10, 2005, 09:51 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
So, Mr. James, the question is: how much will it cost to get them direct from you? Slap an Area-52 sticker on 'em and call it good. Name a price, d00d!

Steve
Jul 10, 2005, 03:07 PM
Nucking Futs
Thread OP
How can I possibly sell these things when that guy in the for sale section worked so hard on his? His are really nice and are only $10 a pair.

If you still want a pair from me let me know, I'll hook you up.

RJ
Jul 10, 2005, 06:33 PM
gas tires and oil
excellent! i've been getting ready to make some for my halfpipe i maidened last week. i was just trying to think of a quick easy method!! this is it! thanks rick james!
marty
ps: was i parked next to you at the pss fest? we went looking for a battery for your plane? was that you?
Jul 10, 2005, 06:54 PM
Nucking Futs
Thread OP
Yessirie, that was me. Thanks again for your help, it got me backup and flying for about 1 minute until I smacked the daylights outta surfimps aircobra. I couldn't have run into a nicer guy!

RJ
Jul 13, 2005, 02:27 PM
gas tires and oil
finally got a day off work and i was going to get some of that HDPE cutting board. not really sure what it is. looks like about 3/4" thick plastic,i guess it's used for chopping vegetables and meat and stuff eh??
marty
Jul 13, 2005, 02:32 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Hey Rick yours fairings are not Ghetto. What I built is Ghetto I bought some sheet polystyrene carved some balsa male and female molds. attached some polystyrene to female mold with clothes pins and heated it up with a heat gun. then smashed the male mold into it. Now that is Ghetto

Soar Dude
Jul 13, 2005, 02:52 PM
It could happen...
Nothing Ghetto about them, Mr. James!
Jul 13, 2005, 06:55 PM
Nucking Futs
Thread OP
Prplgoat, the stuff is no thicker than 3/8". It's the same stuff I make my motor mounts on my Combat planes with.

I guess I'm not as ghetto as I thought, maybe lazy, no, definitely lazy.

RJ
Jul 13, 2005, 07:31 PM
Something MUST FLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Rick James
Prplgoat, the stuff is no thicker than 3/8". It's the same stuff I make my motor mounts on my Combat planes with.

I guess I'm not as ghetto as I thought, maybe lazy, no, definitely lazy.

RJ
I don't think lazy is the proper description. Perhaps more along the lines of "Innovations of convienience"?

I like 'em, I am certainly going to follow your lead on these.

Thanks for the tips,

Brad
Jul 13, 2005, 10:16 PM
gas tires and oil
oh ya,laid up a pair an hour ago. that's going to work perfectly!!!
thanks rj!!
Jul 14, 2005, 10:31 AM
Nucking Futs
Thread OP
No worries, post some pics.

Quick Reply