Jun 13, 2021, 09:56 PM
LOL, you got a Virginia eye roll with that one. So crow is out. Next time out I am going to try a magic feather.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2021, 10:40 PM
Ray:

Apparently, you and a bunch of other people walk a LOT faster than I can. The only model I have that can land at my walking speed weighs 3.12 grams and is only flown indoors. I have one that lands much slower than a walk, though. I think it's up to 0.7 or 0.8 grams with the repairs.

As far as crow for carrier, it adds drag, not lift. For the slowest flight, increase the camber for the whole wing.
Jun 14, 2021, 12:29 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedBurdick
Anyway, the topic of Crow came up and a few pilots said they don't use it and don't believe that it helps on landings. I was really surprised to hear that...I thought that crow was the standard setup for landing. Consequently, my question to the community is: do you all use CROW on landing in F5J/ F3J or is it, simply is a matter of personal preference?
I have not used any brake on the ailerons on my F5J plane. I learned of this by reading comments from pilots that have good contest results. Here are some examples:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=228

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=202

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jun 17, 2021, 10:53 AM
DS Junkie
I asked this question in the ultima 2 thread referenced above. As a result I switched from crow to flaperon for landing and like it much better. Slower, more control. Win/win.
Jun 18, 2021, 12:39 AM
In F3J size does matter!
And added bonus for ailerons down is that you have a more nose down approach and need less pushdown to prevent sliding, the model more naturally touches the nose down first
Jun 18, 2021, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
And added bonus for ailerons down is that you have a more nose down approach and need less pushdown to prevent sliding, the model more naturally touches the nose down first
And this works also in windy / turbulent conditions? Or in that case only flaps down?
Thank you!

Jan
Jun 18, 2021, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchsoarer
And this works also in windy / turbulent conditions? Or in that case only flaps down?
Thank you!

Jan
Since this is not U2 thread we discuss in more general terms. While I agree in many Roy's arguments, most F5J planes are fine when aileron camber is not changed at all in landing mode. No extra camber, no crow.

In fact, if you look carefully how typical F5J plane reacts to flaps dropping, you see nose tilting down a little. If wing is flexible and if there is plenty of speed, you can also see dihedral going flat. This is because in flaps down more there is de facto an extreme amount of twist in wing when flaps are down, wing tips going to zero or negative incidence.

F5J planes are very easy to land one gets full points from the generous 1m circle. Landings going wrong are usually because of misjudging altitude or speed, or having very bad flap -> elevator mix. There is never lack of "breaking power" unless one is landing downwind (which can happen in competition if landing direction is fixed).

In wind and tubulence usually the best strategy is to do the last 10 sec of approach with plenty of speed and close proximity to ground where air is more stable. Then around 3 sec use flaps to stop the plane while keeping it below you eye level - the lower the better. This kind of approach should put your plane in place where it can be safely put down at last 1-2 seconds. Nose first is better and safer than belly or wing tip first.

BTW I wonder why this topic keeps popping up. I have not seen anybody using visible amount of crow in ailerons for years.
Jun 18, 2021, 09:27 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Excellent comments Tuomo. Pretty sure the reason why some are asking about crow is that we are seeing--at least in the US--many TD pilots transitioning over to F5J (winch launching is pretty much dead now as far as I can tell). Crow was sometimes used on TD/F3J models although I never needed it on any of my Xplorers.
--Chris
Jun 18, 2021, 09:14 PM
I'm currently charging my F3J Supra for a contest tomorrow with the PASS group. I'm going to head out a little early and adjust out the crow and shoot a couple landings. Maybe even fly the contest without it. Report coming in about 22 hours.
Jun 19, 2021, 08:47 PM
Ok, I took out the crow this morning and after 2 practice flights got into the first round. Bad start to the day, 1:20 short on the task and got too far downwind to get back to the landing zone. The remainder of the day went great. Landing scores on the next 4 rounds were 99, 96, 95 and 74. I did feel like I had better control while in the landing zone.
Jun 20, 2021, 08:31 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchsoarer
Thank you!

Jan
I never change settings in the wind/turbulence, only shift CG slightly. This works very well in all conditions for me.
Jun 29, 2021, 02:19 PM
DS will change your life
Crow on my Explorer

Slope flying, and landing (1 min 53 sec)

Soren
Jun 29, 2021, 02:47 PM
Awesome flying

Quick Reply