Jun 11, 2021, 01:19 AM
Merriment has forsaken me
Thread OP
Question

why does my lipo never fully charge?

Sometimes, not always, my lipos will reach 99% charge but never 100% and its keeping my charger running until I shut it down.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2021, 05:17 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Which charger?

Some chargers can be calibrated to reach the maximum charge, which makes the charger stop and signal charging complete.

Without knowing which charger, it's a hard question to answer.

FWIW; some of my chargers don't reach the full 4,2V per cell, but the do stop at the end of the process, the last few millivolts don't matter to the performance.\\

Regards, Jan.
Jun 11, 2021, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
I think its called 680AC. Its an 80W AC/DC. For example when I charge a 4s 5000 Mah battery it will charge all cells to 4.19 or 4.20 then keep running (without charging any further) This only happens with two battery packs in particular, when I charge other batteries the charger will turn off once it reaches full charge. Its just annoying without the audio alarm once fully charged and the need to walk over and see if its fully charged or not.
Jun 12, 2021, 04:13 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Sinmore,

I think that the problem may be that the mAh capacity limit in the charger is set too low.

I have multiple chargers, all similar to yours. If so, you will find in the charger's set up ' USER SET PROGRAM -> , then go to Capacity Cut-Off, you can turn it off or set it at a high level (for LiPo balancing). I just checked mine, it was set at 8000 and I use it in that setting to balance charge 2200 3s at 1c (2.2a) to 4.2v per cell.

Balance charging Lipos, the charge rate is important and the charger will auto stop when the LiPo cells are balanced at 4.2v per cell.

If you're only charging LiPos then I would turn off the Capacity Cut-Off or set it to 5000 etc. and balance charge at the rate (1c for example) that the battery calls for and let the charger fill up the batteries until the each cells balance at 4.2v.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Jan.
Jun 12, 2021, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
Hello pompebled,

I just checked my capacity cut off and it was set to "ON" and 50000. (yes 4 zeros)

I do only balance charge lipos at 1.5a so I will take your advise and turn off the cut off and report back.

Thank you

i
Jun 16, 2021, 10:37 AM
sinmore
If the problem only occurs with some batteries but not all then logic would suggest the problem is with those batteries not the charger.
For the charger to switch off the cells have to maintain 4.20V for a certain period of time. If a cell is weak and does not maintain 4.20V then the charger will keep cycling round charging & checking.
I fear the batteries that will not trigger the charger cut off are no longer in pristine condition.
Jun 19, 2021, 04:44 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
For the charger to switch off the cells have to maintain 4.20V for a certain period of time. If a cell is weak and does not maintain 4.20V then the charger will keep cycling round charging & checking.
I fear the batteries that will not trigger the charger cut off are no longer in pristine condition.
Something the may help, is putting the lipo's that won't charge properly (anymore) through a balancing cycle, if all goes well, all cells should get back up to 4,2V.

If not, your lipo is nearing the end of it's life. Keep an eye on it and be aware of one or more cells puffing.

Regards, Jan.

Quick Reply