Sep 22, 2021, 03:03 PM
Electric
Sorry to report I was flying hard and if you ain't crash'n you aren't pushing hard enough! Tower is down a couple more ARF as we just ordered some. I was in a full throttle vertical and reached the top to roll over into the downward stroke and left her at full power. I now know not to try that again as it stalled at the top and then into a torque roll? Is that possible.... and I turned into it instead of the opposite aileron feed and got spiraling so fast I lost orientation about 100ft off deck and wasn't fast enough to hit SAFE.... which would have been a spectacular recovery if it had worked.

On the way out on the walk of shame we noticed there wasn't any smoking gopher hole. No smoke no fire no heated cells, no smell at all, only tumbleweeds of foam beads and a small debris field. The CF rods embedded firmly in dirt.

All electronics survived, both wings and tail group, all easily unscrewed and placed aside during the post mortem. The front gear strut feels crunchy, meh. Oh, cool the battery stayed attached to the bottom plywood tray with Velcro.

Total pilot error. Sorry to you guys over the pond having to wait for this plane. It's addictive to fly!
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Sep 24, 2021 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2021, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck
If you ain't crash'n you aren't flying hard enough! Tower is down a couple more ARF as we just ordered some. I was in a full throttle vertical and reached the top to roll over into the downward stroke and left her at full power. I know now not to try that as it went into a torque roll? Is that possible.... and I turned into it instead of the opposite aileron feed and got spiraling so fast I lost orientation about 100ft off deck and wasn't fast enough to hit SAFE.... which would have been a spectacular recovery if it had worked, but instead the walk of shame out to the gopher hole was full of eagerness to see if the Li-Ion survived the crash test bahahhahaha.. No smoke no fire no heated cells, no smell at all, only tumbleweeds of foam beads and a small debris field. The CF rods embedded formly in dirt.

All electronics survived, both wings and tail group all easily unscrewed and placed aside during the post mortem. The front gear strut feels crunchy, meh. The fan lost a balde but have both new 6s 4068 and 8s 4075 fan units coming. The fuselage blew out and canopy exploded. I saved the plastic nosecap off the nose that was obliterated... funny how strong that little sucker was to go 6in into dirt with the CF rods and come out without a scratch, just a bit of foam.

Oh, cool the battery stayed attached to the bottom plywood tray with Velcro.
Ouch! Strong Velcro though
Sep 22, 2021, 04:52 PM
anyone install a thrust tube?
Sep 22, 2021, 05:05 PM
Duck, sorry to hear about your issue.
Sep 22, 2021, 05:09 PM
Electric
Funny I just happen to have saved the tunnel just for that very reason! Suitable to test fit anything you want to try. Easy access to the front end

I'd be glad to give inside/length dimensions for a tube. I was curious looking down it to see if there's room to shoehorn a 100mm unit.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Sep 22, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Sep 22, 2021, 06:27 PM
Duck, could you also measure id, od. for a tailcone?
Sep 22, 2021, 10:57 PM
Head-tracking FPV Advocate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCG_KevinB
NICE !!!

KevinB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextek
Very, cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck
Extremely big grin that's so awesome! Thanks for video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
Outstanding video and great flying. Rc formation flying is difficult. More videos please.
Thanks guys! You know it Jax. A corporate jet pilot who also flew with Air Combat USA, flies with with us occasionally. He has numerous full scale aerobatic formation hours. He says that RC formation flying is magnitudes harder than full scale. Make us feel pretty good!

Another video of 2 vipers practicing figure 8 FPV close formation:
E-flite Viper 90 FPV Figure 8 Formation (2 min 38 sec)
Last edited by turbinefancy; Sep 24, 2021 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Added video link
Sep 24, 2021, 01:13 PM
I asked this in the SU-30 thread, but I'm getting the Viper 90mm if and when Fedex decides to drive the truck near my house!

Need to know how to do reverse on the Viper with an IX12!

"Gents, I got the Spektrum Avian 100A ESC, Can some one point me to where I can forward program it (especially reverse thrust) using the IX12? I have done a search and found DX/NX videos on how to program it, but not IX12. The ESC program menu does NOT show up in the IX12. IX12 has latest update as of one week ago. "
Sep 24, 2021, 03:08 PM
RC Addict
Did I just spend $1290 on two pieces of foam?
Sep 24, 2021, 03:47 PM
Retired US Navy
I believe the forward programing menu does not populate unless you have a forward programable item bound and turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
I asked this in the SU-30 thread, but I'm getting the Viper 90mm if and when Fedex decides to drive the truck near my house!

Need to know how to do reverse on the Viper with an IX12!

"Gents, I got the Spektrum Avian 100A ESC, Can some one point me to where I can forward program it (especially reverse thrust) using the IX12? I have done a search and found DX/NX videos on how to program it, but not IX12. The ESC program menu does NOT show up in the IX12. IX12 has latest update as of one week ago. "
Sep 24, 2021, 03:48 PM
Retired US Navy
Yes, I believe you did.

Quote:
Sep 24, 2021, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
I believe the forward programing menu does not populate unless you have a forward programable item bound and turned on.
I did bind a 8020T with an Avian 100A ESC, I can see the ESC telem and its working. I even tried full throttle at turn on, then go down to low, still can't see the Avian program menu on IX12! I did try within the 30 seconds of plugging in the ESC.
Sep 24, 2021, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Well, not only foam, there is plastic, metal, electronics and nice pilots!!!!! LOL!

Congrats!
Sep 24, 2021, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Iím having a hard time pulling the trigger on just one😎
Sep 24, 2021, 04:29 PM
Yal talk forward program, was is this?

Quick Reply