Jun 07, 2021, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Contest

NORCAL Coastal #2

The next coastal gathering is set for Sunday (6/13), backup date is Sunday (6/20).

Thornton Beach, unless conditions favor another site (Fort Ross, Davenport, Los Banos).

Lots of wind this week, hoping the pattern holds through Sunday! Will keep you posted on details.

https://f3xvault.com/?action=event&f..._id=2089&tab=0
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2021, 09:53 PM
Yesssss, thank you Scott
Jun 09, 2021, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Keeping my eye on the forecast, and even did a little Ďreconí today.

Sundayís forecast for Thornton looks a little weak, but I am hopeful weíll get in the race. More likely not an early start.
Jun 11, 2021, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
It looks like Sunday will be light. Not a lot of change in the forecast over the last couple days. Letís give it every opportunity and take a look mid day tomorrow.

If it looks a little better than 10-12 we will go with it.

If not, we will go to back up date. Is Fatherís Day a deal breaker for anyone?

st
Jun 12, 2021, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
With no improvement in tomorrowís forecast, I am forced to cancel the race. Letís hope for better conditions next weekend (6/20).

I will keep the updates coming
Jun 12, 2021, 06:58 PM
With Sunday racing a bust is anybody heading to the SLOT tomorrow willing to let me in, I have a new Pitbull 2 that needs a maiden.
Jun 17, 2021, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
With a lousy forecast for Sunday (and since itís Fatherís Day) the race is being moved to June 27.

See you all then. Enjoy your weekend!
st
Jun 23, 2021, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
Mid week update:

Forecast looks light but flyable for Sunday (6/27). Will give an update and final call on Friday.

I think we can expect a Noon start at Thornton. Should be a great day!

Same registration as before, please get signed up if you plan on flying.

st
Last edited by curdman; Jun 23, 2021 at 10:34 PM.
Jun 24, 2021, 11:51 PM
Thread OP
Looking better. Gunna be a fun one!
Jun 25, 2021, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Pilotís meeting at Noon on Sunday.

I am planning to fly rounds into the late afternoon as conditions look to build nicely. Bring a snack!

Iíll need some help hauling gear down the hill. Can a few folks plan on heading down at 11am?

Bring a lightweight camp chair for the bases if you have one.

st
Jun 27, 2021, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
results

http://f3xvault.com/?action=event&fu...&event_id=2089
Jun 28, 2021, 12:03 AM
Great job Scott as cd and we had excellent conditions for racing and excellent flying as well. Pretty tight scoring today! Congrats to Mehrdad, Ken and Scott on podium finishes. Ken was flying the best after round 5 but it wasn't enough to beat Mehrdad who was flying consistently fast, lap after lap. And Scott was very fast with new plane fs6, wait until he is fully comfortable with it. Thanks to everyone who showed up and helped out, your efforts are all greatly appreciated!
Jun 28, 2021, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
We were greeted by stronger wind than predicted, and typical SF weather, overcast and cold. It felt great to escape the heat.

With the wind blowing 18-20 we started with rounds in the low 40ís. There was little variance during the day and eventually Mehrdad and Miguel laid down a couple runs in the high 30ís.

Mehrdad kicked our butts again, but not for lack of trying on our part. Ken was putting together great runs in the later rounds. His upturns are a great example for us to aspire to. It was a dog fight for third place. Very tight scoring, which makes it so much fun.

Thanks for all the help on bases and keeping eyes out for air traffic and other folks enjoying their days. A great group of people yesterday, a very enjoyable day. We sure missed some of the guys and hope to see yíall again soon (David, Ron, Steve, Dom, used to be fast Mark, Tim, Bill, Jeff, Mart, ...)

Looking forward to the next one.
Fort Ross?

st

*Mike had a spectaular landing in the horse paddock. Thankfully the Ceres remained in the race.

** Some scum bag stole Konradís catalytic converter while we were down the hill. Hopefully karma catches up to them, and Konrad can figure out how to deal with his car. Not a great way to end the day.
Jun 28, 2021, 07:15 PM
It was another fun day of flying with you all. And yes we missed a bunch of regulars again.

Scott, thank you for putting on a great race for us. Job well done.

Everybody chipped in and ensured race ran smoothly.

Good wind with clouds blocking the sun made for a terrific day of racing at the coast.

Congrats to Ken and Miguel who were only pilots to fly sub-40 second course runs yesterday. Solid flying guys.

DZ switched to upturns starting with round 4 and it looked like he was going faster and more consistent. We are going to be in big trouble if he ever goes to the coast to practice them.

Ralf flew very consistent and employed clean pylon-type turn styles and a safer line somewhat further out. He noted that upturns seemed to be working well for most all pilots and he seemed convinced to try them before our next coastal race to get the hang of them. I am certain had he been confident in making those types of turns he would have easily shaved 5 seconds off his course runs yesterday

Charlie, thank you for all of the photos. That takes a lot of effort both to shoot and then sift/sort through and upload and so forth. Much appreciated. Your Pitbull looked great again.

I know Konrad is working on a new F3F glider to race, I have good feeling about that one.

For sure the theft/molestation of his CC from parked car was appalling and unfortunate. Hope the thieves get the punishment they deserve.

Mike, should he decide to accept the mission, will be our CD for next coastal race.

Quick Reply