Jun 07, 2021, 03:49 AM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
Discussion

Pay Pal Swindle

Lesson learned here. I had posted up, for an engine box, 61 SF. Got a msg from a guy here in the states, to contact a guy in MS, he has what I need.

OK, did the contact, he sends me a pix, very nice box. I send him $63.00 Pay Pal, he asked for F & F. OK, he must be a modeler, trust fine. Time goes on, no box. He sent me a nice note, saying he is working hard, and to PayPal his son. Yes, I understand that is too much for a box.

After that, zero. These chumps got me for that, and now, of course, my fault. I did more research and found out where my money went. KENYA !

Gender: F Nationality: Kenya. An immigration facility. Now, this is the case, these dirt bags are infiltrating everything. I am not going to post her name, as she may be an innocent party here, doubt it, but leave it go, lesson learned, and I have been in this rodeo for many years.

PayPal did zero to help me get this fixed. I sent documentation, etc. All I got was BS, complaint closed, never got to speak with anyone, just a machine.

Never again, no history, no money. I have had 99.9% success with modelers on here, once in a while, things check up, and this was mine.

To sum up, I did get a like new 61 SF from a guy that sent the box, and all 61 SF paperwork, and much less money.
PF
Last edited by PhoenixFlyer; Jun 07, 2021 at 03:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2021, 04:37 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Been going on a long time and happens constantly. That's why they put this warning up as a sticky on all the classified sections: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mers-READ-THIS Also at the top of the Trader Talk forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...w-Type-of-Scam

You might consider posting about it in Trader Talk along with the RCG member name(s) so they can be banned.
Last edited by vulturetec; Jun 07, 2021 at 05:08 AM.
Jun 07, 2021, 12:12 PM
Same here in Canada, same story. I have a friend that has what you need. Just have to be careful who you deal with i guess.
Isn't there warming here on RCG about this scam, think I did read something. Sorry guys, I am in the middle of a move so have not been here as often.
Hope everyone is okay healthwise. Enjoy your summer and take care.
Phil
Jun 07, 2021, 12:48 PM
I had bad experiences with Paypal as well. I cancelled an upcoming renewal 30 days in advance. Paypal paid them anyway. I called an talked to a person telling them the particulars and thought it was handled. Then they paid a second time. I was furious. I called my bank and got them involved sending documentation - proof of cancellation. They never could explain the double charges. It took almost 60 days to get my funds back.and it seemed Paypal thought it was their money during the process. That told me all I need to know about dealing with Paypal.

It takes a little more time using other payment methods, but I refuse to help pay the Paypal salary to allow them to continue this behavior - especially at my expense. I can't tell you how much time I spent getting those funds back.
Jun 07, 2021, 01:52 PM
About three weeks ago I wanted to buy an engine posted in classifieds, when I asked the guy to go PayPal for transaction he said do transfer as friend n family hahahaha. Immediately I said no way Jose... this is a scam. Just ignored following msgs form this guy.
Jun 07, 2021, 02:28 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
Good info reply. I should have known better, and did get the picture of a nice like new 61 SF box. E-Bay is now saying they will direct your sale payments directly to your bank, instead of PP. We use 3 bank accounts on PP and now E-Bay wants this info ? We have used E-Bay for many years, and now will,
give it up for selling. Their fees are getting ridiculous.

I did nothing, and still got funds thru PP on recent sales.

V
Jun 07, 2021, 08:54 PM
Vince,

Sorry for your troubles. It’s too bad that we modelers are being taken advantage of. I guess it’s back to USPS M/O. Take care!

R
Jun 08, 2021, 04:09 PM
DavidsPlanes
PayPal has become extremely arrogant in recent years. Something that resulted from being the first major online financial transaction service out of the gate. Now they’re too big for their own good and they’ve lost interest in the main thing that makes their business viable - customers.

Worry not, all ships astray correct themselves eventually. Other online payment methods are taking hold and once the 3/4 piece of pie that PP currently own becomes 1/4, they’ll start buttering us up anew and hiring courteous staff once again and caring for their customers.

That piece of pie will start shrinking fast as soon as eBay (among others) makes it easy to transact with other systems.

David
Jun 08, 2021, 06:49 PM
I had an issue with my PayPal account last week. Some jerk in Indonesia compromised a cc.It was resolved very quickly...It took a little while to talk to a real person.

B
Jun 08, 2021, 07:23 PM
Vince, sorry for the hassle. But, you paid via F&F so PayPal, regardless of how it responded, is really not at fault here! If it really sounds legit, or your just not sure, or you really have to have it, simply add the PP fees and send payment as goods and services. At least when the scam unfolds you have some protection. Also, the “friend of a friend I know has what you’re looking for” is likely one of the widest scams around. Deep breath and lesson learned!
Mark
Jun 10, 2021, 04:26 AM
Patriot
Dumb to buy from random people on a global forum, regardless of how you did the transaction. It should not negate or make buying and selling in the classifieds here to be prohibitive. Use some basic common sense, all buyers and sellers and don't create drama when you chose not to.
Jun 10, 2021, 07:34 AM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
You are right. It would be very dumb if it was serious money. Using PayPal for auto and truck items, has been a good experience for many years.

Yes, a dumb move.

We can let it go at that.
PF

Dumb to buy from random people on a global forum, regardless of how you did the transaction. It should not negate or make buying and selling in the classifieds here to be prohibitive. Use some basic common sense, all buyers and sellers and don't create drama when you chose not to.[/QUOTE]
Jun 10, 2021, 06:18 PM
Patriot
To these people living in the armpit of the globe, what we consider chump change would be a week or more pay for them normally. Certainly there are better ways to make money online rather then scamming people, if they have access to the web, which they do, there are so many things they can be doing to produce a residual income without having to engage in criminal activity.

I can attest, this forum get's bombarded all day long with scammers and bots which try to sign on board. I have my own small forum that's unrelated to anything RC and the like, I had to shut down the sign up option and do it manually for people to sign up since the scammers and bots overwhelmed the system, just too much to keep up with.
Jun 10, 2021, 07:01 PM
AMA 46133
>>To these people living in the armpit of the globe, what we consider chump change would be a week or more pay for them normally. Certainly there are better ways to make money online rather then scamming people, if they have access to the web, which they do, there are so many things they can be doing to produce a residual income without having to engage in criminal activity. <<

Well, unfortunately the assumption here is that it is really some one from Kenya that is doing the scamming. I am not an internet detective or claim to know what is going on with all the scam going on. I do know there are ways to hack into other people's account and proxy servers. So I am leaning towards some one that has a bit more internet savvy that is doing the hacking and the Kenya account like anything else is just a convenient place to hack into. For all we know the actual hacker could be in China, Russia or even Kazakstan.
Jun 11, 2021, 04:05 AM
PF

That sucks.

There are scammers across the globe, who will simply find a nice picture of something you want and do what you had done to you. Never any actual goods, never any intent to do anything but trick you into "gifting" them some money.

Lesson is, never use friend & family unless you know and trust the seller. It's worth the couple of % extra to pay "normally". I would now always "overpay" by the paypal fee to go the normal route, unless I have that confidence in the seller. I've had occasion to use the protection once or twice. Have I come out ahead, at the end of the day? Maybe. Maybe not. It does make life easier when things go wrong, to have the option.

By the way, Ebay will still use Paypal if you have not updated your info but that will stop at some stage. And overall the new straight-to-bank system comes out a bit cheaper (but takes a couple of days extra) when you sell through Ebay. If you trusted Paypal with bank details, why not Ebay?

Quote:
PayPal has become extremely arrogant in recent years
Can you remember what Paypal was like when it started out?
Last edited by SuperNash; Jun 11, 2021 at 04:11 AM.

Quick Reply