Jun 03, 2021, 12:50 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Discussion

Carbon fiber tuned pipe

Scott (Pylonracr) Mooney on RCG has been really generous helping others with their methanol based 2 stroke engines. Especially the Dub Jett engines. It turned out Scott is very talented making carbon fiber tubed pipes.

I was corresponding with him in regards to tuning some of my tuned pipes with the OS 61RF I am testing with Brian Gardner's piston and liner.

Scott made up a few carbon pipes and sent them to me for testing. They are beautiful. I have not run them yet but I have one of them mounted on my test plane right now.

These are straight tuned pipe so I expect them to be pretty loud. Scott is also making some with a muffler section at the end to cut down the noise a bit.

I will report back and keep you all posted.
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Jul 03, 2021 at 12:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2021, 02:13 PM
Wow those are awesome
Jun 03, 2021, 02:35 PM
Sweet!
Jun 03, 2021, 03:38 PM
Scott
Thanks Hansen, there seems to be a bus parked on me...

That is one of my straight open pipes and a 2 chamber pipe I made to be slightly quieter. I am putting the finishing touches on a true quiet pipe now. It came out of post cure yesterday. I have only made 1 so far and will be sending it to Hansen for testing within the week. Keeping in mind post to Hawaii takes about a month. If all goes as planned they will be available soon.

Scott
Jun 03, 2021, 04:22 PM
Suspended Account
Beautifull set of pipes. Bring on that sweet saprano
Jun 03, 2021, 08:42 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
It looks really good on the plane. I have never used a carbon pipe before. I have heard about them. I am just so amazed at how light they really are.

The weight is really negligible as far as CG location shift is concern.
Jun 03, 2021, 09:36 PM
Scott
Hansen, get some thin rubber 2 sided tape or something similar and put around the pipe where the ty wrap is. The nylon will wear into the pipe in flight.

Scott
Jun 04, 2021, 12:28 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Hansen, get some thin rubber 2 sided tape or something similar and put around the pipe where the ty wrap is. The nylon will wear into the pipe in flight.

Scott
Thanks. I have just the thing.
Jun 04, 2021, 06:13 AM
damn those are good looking pipes...make sure to post a video...i dont think ive heard a CF tuned pipe....
Jun 04, 2021, 08:41 AM
I don't think I can afford these, would love to have a bent style on my Dave Brown Illusion or even just a muffled straight on my Arrow. I'll keep an eye on these
Last edited by nappyroots2182; Jun 04, 2021 at 02:24 PM.
Jun 04, 2021, 08:40 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCpilot7974
damn those are good looking pipes...make sure to post a video...i dont think ive heard a CF tuned pipe....
Ask and you shall receive.
OS 61RF BG piston and liner carbon pipe test HD 720p (1 min 43 sec)

The day was nice and a club mate sent me an email telling me he is going to the flying field. So what the heck I figured I may as well test the engine and the carbon tune pipe.

Took me a while to get the engine started. Not sure why. I think I had a bit too much after run oil in the engine. So I cleared it with the glow plug off the engine and spun it with the starter. I then closed the high speed needle completely. The engine fired up eventually and ran the residual fuel. Then I opened the high speed needle 2 turns and the engine started right up.

The pipe length was set at 17". The needle was quite lean at wide open throttle. So I started to richen up the needle. Then the engine started to surge and fell off step. Overall it was not happy. So I added an extra inch to the pipe length. The engine was running a lot better.

I did a few nose up test to make sure the engine will not lean out on take off. Static wide open throttle was around 10,700 and idle was reliably at 2,100. So I figured it is time to test the combination in the air.

Every worked fine. Engine leaned out slightly on the up vertical line and richen a bit on the down line. Took a little while to clear the richness. Transition was smooth. Idle was good albeit slightly on the rich side.

At the end of the second flight I noticed the extension piece disappeared in the silicone coupling. So I took the pipe off and found the extension piece had lodged inside the inlet of the pipe. I stopped for the day. I need to figure out something to keep the extension piece from falling in the pipe.

Will do more test if I do more flying this weekend.

Compare to the Mac's quiet pipe with what I called "virtual divergent cone" (the divergent cone on the Mac's Quiet Pipe are 4 baffles decreasing in inner diameter instead of a solid wall divergent cone) I have found that the tuned pipe with solid wall divergent cone needs to be tuned with a longer length. The "virtual divergent cone" is not quite as peaky as the solid wall divergent cone. Both setup runs perfectly fine once an optimum pipe length is reached.

This simple straight carbon pipe is slightly louder than the Mac's quiet pipe but not by much. Then again I am hard of hearing and I have to wear hearing aids just to hear the engine in the air.
Jun 04, 2021, 08:46 PM
wow that sounds nice...has a nice unique crackling sound to it
Jun 04, 2021, 10:00 PM
Scott
Hansen, 2 things.
Lean the idle....
The pipe extension, if it is in the middle of the pipe coupler, snug a zip tie around it to keep it in place.

Now fly the crap out of it....

Scott
Jun 04, 2021, 10:10 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Hansen, 2 things.
Lean the idle....
The pipe extension, if it is in the middle of the pipe coupler, snug a zip tie around it to keep it in place.

Now fly the crap out of it....

Scott
Yup, I also found a slightly larger diameter tube that will not fall inside the pipe. I made an extension out of it. I also zip tied around it. I used "rubber tape" (we used it for high voltage splicing at the shop) to wrap around the pipe. When the slime hit the tape I get some gooey residue. So I just switched to a sheet of silicone rubber with no adhesive.

After flying I cut the grass at the flying field. So I will try and go out Sunday to fly some more. Once I get a few more flights with SSP I will go and test the next pipe.

Oh yeah I can lean the idle out a bit also.
Jun 04, 2021, 11:07 PM

My pipe is bigger then yours.

Scott is also responsible for these. They are absolutely huge! Eats up about 2/3 the length of the 35% Edge they are installed in. Gotta get my butt in gear and finish this beast.

Quick Reply