Jun 02, 2021, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Boise area thermal flying

Starting a thread for flat-land flying in the Boise and Treasure Valley area.

Slope thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-Slope-Flyers

With many new pilots in the area there seems to be a renewed interest in doing some flat land flying.

In particular I would like to see some folks get together for some aerotowing. I have a Telemaster currently on the bench. Should be good for up to 3m stuff.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2021, 03:06 PM
Great idea! I can fly power planes too and would love to try aerotowing someday.
Jun 02, 2021, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
My intent is to coerce everyone to try it.

We have at least one expert amongst the group now and I am willing to provide some sacrificial planes to ensure everyone has a go.

I also have a winch and high starts if we can find a grass field.
Last edited by rcsoar4fun; Jun 02, 2021 at 03:38 PM.
Jun 02, 2021, 03:39 PM
Signed on! Thanks for starting this thread!

Jason
Jun 02, 2021, 03:55 PM
I have two high starts too, one large and one small. I also recently spent way too much on an F5J plane and would love to do some informal limited run type events. I have two young boys who I'd love to get involved, if I can get them away from stupid indoor games.
Jun 02, 2021, 04:09 PM
I would love to give high start a try. When I was down in Florida, there was a good bunch of guys flying high start at Eglin Aero Modelers. I just brought out my Electric Top Model Albatros and flew and it was fun, never got an airplane together to try high start though before coming back to Meridian. Actually thought about picking up another Albatros or I have been eyeing that Gracia Maxi for flat land flying until the Ventus comes back in stock. All I have right now is my helicopters, so I would have to get something together, but that can be done fairly fast!

Anyways, when it comes to aerotow, I would be willing to put a large tow rig together if there was enough interest. I would like to put together that 1/3 scale Cessna 185 from Aviation Concepts RC, once they complete their move to West Virginia and get back up and running.
Jun 02, 2021, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
@Spooky, did you sell your laser cutter? I have a Hobbistar 60 that would do pretty well with piggyback launching. Just need a cradle.
Jun 02, 2021, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun
@Spooky, did you sell your laser cutter? I have a Hobbistar 60 that would do pretty well with piggyback launching. Just need a cradle.
I did sell it and received my new unit, FSL PS48 with a 48" x 36" working area and 150w laser tube. I am still waiting on the fume extractor so I don't need to vent outside. But, that should be here by the middle of June. Took awhile to get it going, a few issues with the touch screen and refrigerated chiller, but FSL took care of it quickly. Also, the mirrors were pretty far out of alignment and I needed to lower the laser tube by 3mm to get it close to center, but I finally did some test cuts on Monday and while the alignment is not perfect, the results are looking great and even at the bottom right corner, there is almost near perfect kerf. So it good enough to start producing parts. I will fine tune the alignment over time, but its way better than my old unit.

I can cut 1/4" Baltic Birch is half the time I cut 1/8" on my old machine and that is only using 50% power on the tube and 60% speed! Amazing! This along with the CNC and 3D printer, we should be able to make anything we need, out of most materials! Couple pics, let me know if I can help! Talk soon.

Jason
Last edited by spookyeng; Jun 02, 2021 at 06:54 PM.
Jun 02, 2021, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
@spooky Interested in building something that is not an ARF?
Jun 02, 2021, 08:37 PM
Known Wind User

Cool thread

Good call getting a thread like this started! Love the idea of doing some aerotow, piggyback, highstart, winch, and handlaunch etc.

Best regards,
Jim
Jun 02, 2021, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
I like to celebrate all of the different ways to break airplanes.

A few weeks ago I did a mold for a DLG pod, but was not happy with it, so I will be doing another one in the near future. Once that is sorted out I am happy to provide those to anyone that is interested.

Unfortunately this summer is looking to be nuts with family visiting and my kiddo deciding he wants to do BMX racing. However, we can make it work.
Jun 02, 2021, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun
@spooky Interested in building something that is not an ARF?
Yes, totally interested, what you have in mind?

I know I am working on a couple projects, and got enough information to design my own hyperscale 1/3 Tiger Moth. Also, just purchased all the Martin Simmons Sailplane books to start designing some large scale vintage sailplanes, again as scale as I can design and produce them. Of all the modeling I have done, sailplanes..., to me represent the most beautiful flying machines!

Just shoot me a text or call and we can discuss . Talk soon.

Jason
Jun 02, 2021, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Sent you a text...I think.
Jun 03, 2021, 11:25 PM
I'm looking forward to getting together for some thermal flying! I also have a winch, retriever, and high start. Will be interested in some aerotow - just need to get a release made and installed.

It would be great if we can find a location to do some evening flying one day each week, I need to practice.

Any thoughts on a site?
Jun 03, 2021, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
Probably depends on location. I am by Star, I think most people are in Boise or Meridian.

There used to be a sod farm in south Meridian/Kuna area, I believe it is now a development.

Quick Reply