Jun 04, 2021, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
That 60" x 20" wing on the plane in the video was made with paperless Dollar Tree foam board , double layer on the middle section .
Indeed the prismatic technique, vs, bending in an airfoil, makes more sense for larger planes like your 60" span or even flitetest's compact ones, than it does for less than 24 inch UMX builds in the 30-40 gram range.

For the little stuff slicing and gluing is unnecessary, just curve it - and the thread was specifically seeking something smaller than the 26 inch slow stick.

When you get to the span or the performance where that would have too much flex, then you consider another layer, prismatic cuts, strategically retaining some of the paper or replacing it with tape, etc.
Last edited by UncleChris; Jun 04, 2021 at 08:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2021, 10:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleChris
Indeed the prismatic technique, vs, bending in an airfoil, makes more sense for larger planes like your 60" span or even flitetest's compact ones, than it does for less than 24 inch UMX builds in the 30-40 gram range.

For the little stuff slicing and gluing is unnecessary, just curve it - and the thread was specifically seeking something smaller than the 26 inch slow stick.

When you get to the span or the performance where that would have too much flex, then you consider another layer, prismatic cuts, strategically retaining some of the paper or replacing it with tape, etc.
It's all good , I was merely pointing out that there is another way to make a curved airfoil besides rolling ..... both methods work well . For me , I prefer the prismatic technique .... it's easier to get a dihedral joint .

I used the same technique for the wing of this much smaller plane :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
Jun 05, 2021, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroguru
The Slow Stick is little big in my neighborhood. For outdoor, which is better. Pico Stick or Micro Stick ?

The other option is the cut down the Slow Stick which are now available from Aloft for $40.

Thanks
I haven't cut down a Slow Stick, maybe you could try it.

The original Pico Stick's wing was a bit flimsy, and need a
bit of space to fly.

My cut down Pico Sticks could fly in the street, front of my house and even in half a basket ball court.
Plus the Pico Stick is cheap to experiment with.
I prefer the yellow round tip wings over the red ones in
your pic, because the yellow are a bit stronger,
And easier to see.

After I had built several Pico type planes, I scratch built
a EPP windy day small area Wing.
Running the same 10G motor, I got it down to 3ozs.
It flew stable in winds gusting to 18mph! Butch

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=toonjet

Quick Reply