May 30, 2021, 11:24 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My brother gave me the bug for this hobby..

...and I blame him entirely. My brother has been flying RC for over 30 years. I've been looking for a new hobby and he talked me in to it. So I joined AMA and applied at a local club. He suggested getting the RealFlight sim first, so I did. I have been drawn to the E-Flight series. The Timber X and Turbo seemed to fly pretty easy in the sim. SAFE mode is on, and even so, it took a few tries to land where I wanted to land! Today, I took the plunge and picked up a 1.2 Timber X. I'm using the DSX that came with the sim. I learned a lot from him and reading the manuals and online. I haven't tried flying it yet as I want him or another experienced person to go over it first. There were some minor adjustments and changes that I had to make so the flaps would work with the DSX. I look forward to learning and flying. I'm hoping to get out to the field this week and work with a trainer and maybe get mine up in the air soon too.
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2021, 07:40 AM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
Welcome to the hobby but be warned; the affliction has just begun. You will be drawn in deeper and deeper until it has completely consumed you. .
May 31, 2021, 04:37 PM
Can be more addictive than any drug known to man and just as expensive
Lots more fun though
May 31, 2021, 06:02 PM
Hey Zombie, welcome. I’m sure you will have the time of your life. Timber X can be a handful, SAFE will help. If you can find someone to buddy box with you that can help. Also 2 other planes I found invaluable as trainers. Eflite Valiant and the Aeroscout.
Jun 01, 2021, 10:25 PM
AeroDan
It's a FUN bug to get bit by, BELIEVE ME!!!!
Jun 01, 2021, 11:54 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I went to the field after work today. My brother introduced me to Charlie, a trainer and rep from Horizon Hobby. He is a also a pilot. He took the plane up and tested it. A little hiccup, the prop came off. I didn't have it tight enough. He put it back on and let me take over once up in the air. I made several passes and he took over and landed it. Then I soloed. My brother was more nervous than I was, but I was doing alright. Charlie was there giving advice and I landed it, a little hard, but the over size tires and suspension really help out. Charlie gave me an AMA flight certificate too! After charging the battery, I went up again, then the wind picked up. I'm running a larger 3S battery, but I may need a 4S, as the plane struggled in the wind. Charlie said the 3S for general use, should be just fine. I know, I do need to pick up an extra battery or two. Yup, got the bug, and getting in deeper already. It is really fun, and I am enjoying it so far.
Jun 09, 2021, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTimber
Yup, got the bug, and getting in deeper already. It is really fun, and I am enjoying it so far.
You're hooked, resistance is futile.
Jun 11, 2021, 11:31 AM
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Jun 16, 2021 at 06:56 PM. Reason: beneficial
Jun 14, 2021, 07:19 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
Welcome. There are good and annoying people in this hobby. Watch out for the people that hate on you for not flying nitro, or not building your own balsa plane, or not flying in circles, or old nerds that dislike your setups for not using their favorite brands.
Jun 20, 2021, 01:17 AM
Thread OP
I can tell I am hooked.. lost the Timber X, long story, have a new Turbo Timber (gift). Ordered out a new transmitter with more programmability.. I have a couple rifle parts kits up on an auction site to help finance this hobby.
Jun 23, 2021, 04:59 PM

The bug is real

I totally understand lol i posted a picture looking for an airplane battery for a free glow plane that i had given to me and one of my now close friends noticed it and said that since he had moved here he figured we hadnt even herd of rc planes and now were constantly going in on buying planes! Its a feverish bug!
Jun 27, 2021, 10:22 PM
Suspended Account
Adjust the COG "center of gravity" forward a bit if you are dealing with winds. Having some building skills will not only allow you to have fun building, but you can try out a range of planes by making your own and it can very much be a much cheaper route to go, not to mention, not having to depend entirely upon the suppliers for replacement parts which can become very expensive quite quickly.

If you compare this hobby to others such as cars or motorcycles, RC gives you the most bang for the buck when it comes down to it. You picked well of one to get involved in.
Jul 30, 2021, 10:50 AM
Thread OP

Yep.. got the bug.

Well, I did my first flight on June 1st and am on my third plane already, a Turbo Timber Evolution. Hope to have it up in the air this weekend. My brother is giving me some project planes for the winter building season.. His wife accidently stepped on his Corsair and broke the tail. So that is project one. Second might be his little Balsa Cub that is smaller than my Timber. he has several hanging in the garage... I'm rearranging the basement a little to accommodate the planes and building area. I have a ways to go ..

I like the foam planes for their ease of assembly, but hate having to replace servos. I might branch out to the balsa planes as well. They seem easier to modify and replace parts. There are pros and cons of both and I don't have a real preference.

Quick Reply