New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2005, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by DsWright
ProBro #1889

Please help me figure out why this happens....

I was hovering my Katana GS at my house, when i started wandering over the lake on our property.... not long after i got over the lake, the plane started rocking violently and i flew out of it.....

Later on i was trying it again, rock solid hover till i started trying it over the lake, this time, it rocked even more violently and fell into the lake like a rock....

No damage to the plane (which is why i was trying low level hovering over the lake), but im interested to understand why this happens...

Is there such a thing as a reverse thermal? i can hover rock solid over land. But after this incident i see how the lake affects my plane if im anywhere near it.... Seems like the air is rushing downward at a signifigant rate when im over the lake... The opposite of air rushing upwards like a thermal...

can anyone elaborate?
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2005, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
Yeah, DS, during summer days water temperature is lower than air temperature, so it creates a downdraft over a pond - looks similar to a thermal but the direction is reversed. This downdraft is part of the seashore breeze.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
God is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
. . . . This downdraft is part of the seashore breeze.
And the notorious "lake effect" blizzards!!

VP
Old Jul 07, 2005, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by DsWright
ProBro #1889
Guess i need to not fly over the lake so much, i hadn't ever really noticed that until now.... or just be aware of that when im over the lake and not go so low.

Took me a long time to get hovering down well because i always did it over the lake, or several mistakes high... this explains why it took so long, because i hadn't really been messing with low level hovering till very recently, and when i do it after takeoff it's rock solid till i get to close to the lake.

guess i should save the lowlevel stuff more for the flying field.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
At least you tried the floats on your Katana .

(Am I stalking you, or what? )
Last edited by ivanc; Jul 07, 2005 at 03:41 PM.