Jul 07, 2005, 12:54 AM
Thread OP

Blade Heli - LiPo Battery question

Is it possible to use a three cel LiPo battery without changing the main motor?

I added a heat sink to the tail rotor and the main engine and was hoping that this would work without replacing the motor with the hop up version that is available.

Will I burn out the stock motor?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2005, 01:18 PM
Only if you have a 9 (or 8) tooth pinion you want to 'press onto' your motor.
Running the 10 tooth on 3s is bad.... inefficient, high current, hot, and potentially generates interference (due to excessive current and brush arcing), and will shorten the life of your motor, and could damage the 4 in 1....

Yes, you will dramatically shorten your motor life (and may smoke it).

Please use a motor equiped with the proper pinion.

Have Fun,
David
Jul 07, 2005, 02:55 PM
As far as I can tell, the "3d kit" upgrade motor is the same motor as stock but it has a 9 tooth pinion on it. I wouldn't call it a "hopup" motor at all. It is critical though, to reduce the teeth on the motor with the higher voltage as stated above. Since horizon seems to be saying to use the 9 tooth pinion with 3 cell, you can't really go wrong
Jul 07, 2005, 04:12 PM
LDC,

Pretty much correct... EFL doesn't call it a Hop-up motor... the collection of parts is called and Aerobatic Enhancement Kit... designed to be used in conjuntion with a quality 3s LiPo.

It is the same motor with a different pinion (for a good efficient power match at higher voltage). The AEK pinion is 9 Tooth, 0.5 module as I recall. (stock is 10 tooth).

David
Jul 07, 2005, 05:49 PM
YUP, same motor. BUT a great thing is if you installed the "AEK" right off the bat and you wear this motor out that you can, with the use of a micro pinion puller, swap pinions and get right back in the air. SO keep your stock motor with 10 tooth pinion guys!

I have now logged over 45 flights on my BCP with AEK/TP LI-PO. The AEK motor is still working very well. 1 crash, actually inverted landing in the grass, is the only time the heli landed wrong. I got too low during an inverted hover and just let it kiss the grass. <G>

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO
Jul 07, 2005, 08:47 PM
Not many brushed motors will handle 3s lipo well. Most of them will burn out.

You generally want to go brushless with 3s lipo.

Toshi
Jul 07, 2005, 09:42 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
i have over 40 full flights on 3s lipos,9 tooth main,stock tail,no problems yet,heatsinks on both,so far,flawless

Quick Reply