May 26, 2021, 08:33 AM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
Discussion

Heliflight-3D for Micro Heli's

Hi there. So I havenít flown very much in the last 3 or 4 years and am just getting back to it. My first port of call is my virtually indestructible micro helis. 4 years is a long time in the heli world and parts that were common no longer exist. After a broken tail motor, then failed gyro I thought I would attempt to convert some micro sized flight controllers to Heliflight-3D. Heliflight-3D is a single rotor specific implementation based on Betaflight developed by RC Groups member @eqtrian and others. The thread for Heliflight-3D development is https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ontroller-(FBL)

I have built 3 flight controllers so far and thought I would post some descriptions, the config files and a step by step instructions for configuring the FC. I will update the files below if required.

Versions:
Tiny Talon F7:
V5 - Original
GHF13AIO F4:
V1 - Original
V2 - Added optional External ESC on pin TX2
PlayF4:
V1 - Original
V2 - updated tuning
TeenyF4:
In the mailÖ.
Last edited by PDK; Jun 30, 2021 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Update files
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2021, 08:34 AM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
The first controller I used is a Tiny Talon F7 which is 16x16mm mounting pattern (2 layer stack 21x28mm). This controller is connected to a 15A 4in1 BLHeli_32 ESC. The testbed was my K120 heli. The tail was converted using an old HCP100s tail (yep no parts for that either)… I just cut HCP100s shaft about 10mm, a couple of rings of heatshrink to get a neat fit in the k120 boom then a dab of epoxy.
My ultimate plan is to move this over to my M1. I don’t know how it will go on the M1 and I’m not necessarily expecting it to be better than the original although a few of the Heliflight-3D developers use it on their M2. My issue is that I have a Futaba 10CHG and it doesn’t have any of the programming options that allow me to implement the rescue mode with the original gyro….. so its worth a go.
Last edited by PDK; May 26, 2021 at 09:29 AM.
May 26, 2021, 08:34 AM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
Second controller is a JHEMCU GHF13AIO F4. Again it is a 16x16mm mounting pattern (24.2*28.1m). This flight controller is much cheaper and a bit lighter (only 4.3g including the integrated 13A ESCís) than the Tiny Talon F7. The F7 processor was recommended by Heliflight-3D but I thought I would try out an F4 controller anyway. I am currently running 8kHz gyro update and 4kHz PID loop frequency with Dshot 600 and the processor CPU usage sitting at about 45% and it seems for be flying just fine. If it did become an issue I would drop the Gyro and PID rates which make a huge difference to the CPU. The ESCís are BLHeli_s so Bluejay was used to enable the bi-directional Dshot which works fine.
Last edited by PDK; May 26, 2021 at 08:48 AM.
May 26, 2021, 08:35 AM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
Third controller was specifically for my 1s K110. The JHEMCU PlayF4 is for 1-2s and has 4 integrated 5A ESCís at a size of (28.5x28.5 wider than I would like) and is only 3g before I add the servo connectors. This one is a work in progress (have uploaded V2 with additional tuning). My current batteries are not in a great condition (although they have been stored in the fridge) so it is well down on headspeed (and therefore current) so I am not 100% sure the 5A will be enough. I have so far flown a dozen or more packs and it seems to be holding up fine. If it blows I will just swap the main to an external ESC so itís not a deal-breaker (edit# - I have my new batteries now and it goes great. 5A seems to be just fine. I use 80% flat throttle for fast flight loops, rolls and some inverted). Tail motor is an 0802 19000kV on a mount that was 3d printed by a friend. Iím sure there are heaps of good options. Again ESCís are BLHeli_s so Bluejay was used for Bi-Directional Dshot.
Last edited by PDK; Jun 05, 2021 at 07:51 AM.
May 26, 2021, 08:36 AM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
Fourth will be a TeenyF4. Again this is for the K110 and is 1s capable. It is much smaller than the PlayF4 but will need external ESCís. This one is still in the mail soÖ..
May 26, 2021, 05:33 PM
Well done on all of these. I found that soldering on a 20x20 board was the toughest part of the project, so a 16x16 board must be even more challenging!
May 26, 2021, 06:28 PM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
Hi gmonkey. Just checked out your profile and saw you have built one too. From your M2 description I will definitely try the Tiny Talon in my M1. It should go great. I am also really pleased with Heliflight-3d and from some of the comments I have read it seems like people are scared off and think its too hard. I am hoping people will read the files and see that its really just a copy and paste exercise to get it up and running. We might see some other builds as well.

You are not wrong about the soldering. I thought it was just me.... To be honest I bought a pair of magnifying glasses from the chemist . The difference is amazing. I did make a mess (prior to the glasses) of the GHF13AIO by dragging some solder onto a capacitor. which bridged the pad underneath. It was a mission to remove and re-solder.... I'm no soldering expert but I found using proper lead solder (not the lead free), small tip, tin the pad lightly, tin the wire. clean the tip and lightly tin the tip.again. Line up the wire and a quick touch with the iron. You should get a nice shiny connection.
Last edited by PDK; May 26, 2021 at 06:39 PM.
May 27, 2021, 01:42 AM
this is exactly what i want to try with my k110... I have lots of 802 19000kv motors and 20x20 fc is my toothpick size so I should be able to steal from my drone stock somewhere!
May 27, 2021, 02:26 AM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLderDan
this is exactly what i want to try with my k110... I have lots of 802 19000kv motors and 20x20 fc is my toothpick size so I should be able to steal from my drone stock somewhere!
The config files I posted at the top are only for those particular flight controllers. If you have a different controller you would have to build the dump file configuration yourself (which is what I have done with these three). This is basically what links the pins to the motors and servos, organises timers, mixing etc. That's quite a bit more involved than what I have described in the instructions included in the zip files. It is MUCH easier to buy one of the above FC and copy and paste the config.

If you want to go down the path of doing your own I really recommend you read all of Heliflight-3D thread (linked at the first post) and the GitHub project wiki. If you have an understanding of microcontrollers, C programming and some spare time then go for it. I have really enjoyed building these gyro's. I have learnt a lot in the process.
May 27, 2021, 03:54 AM
I've recently been using the telemetry from the TX16s to play with the FC setup directly, which is quite handy as PIDF settings can then be changed between flights. Also the BlackBox recording and playback is quite cool for analysis- a board that has a card reader slot would be useful for that.
May 27, 2021, 05:46 AM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
It seems like everyone is using telemetry capable transmitters. I guess I am just being stubborn wanting to keep using my Futaba 10chg. There are not even many fasst receivers. I should just upgrade.

These really small flight controllers really don't have many UARTS. Much less than the 20x20 size options. I have bought an external openlogger but there really isn't anything left after the 3 servos and the Rx... The tiny talon is really the only one it could work on as you could use the two unused motor signals for servos.
May 27, 2021, 05:55 AM
@PDK
how did you get the radio control signal into your tiny talon (or other FCs)?
May 27, 2021, 05:59 AM
for me that is the easy part, some fc's have built in rx or just hook up external whichever flavour suits your tx.
May 27, 2021, 07:27 AM
PDK
PDK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptern
@PDK
how did you get the radio control signal into your tiny talon (or other FCs)?

All of them are using a little fasst satellite RX on sbus. They tuck in really easy and are less than 1g in weight
May 27, 2021, 08:51 AM
so do you know if these sats have telemetry?

Quick Reply