Oct 14, 2021, 10:36 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafinhavip
www.alofthobbies.com they have everything you need !
Thanks for the tip Raf, I just ordered a bunch of balsa and plywood from Aloft that wasn't on back order.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2021, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd
If you consider you can cut 32 1/8 inch sheets from one 4x4 or 16 1/4 inch sheets from a 4x4 or 64 1/16 sheets from a 4x4, the savings quickly adds up!
Nice try bud! What kind of magic saw do you have with a 0.000" kerf? Most band saws are going to take about 1/16" for the kerf, that gives you no more than 21 1/8" sheets, 32 1/16" sheets, IF you cut every piece perfectly

If you DO have this magic saw in your shop, you shouldn't be worried about balsa prices, you could be a billionaire selling these saws.
Oct 15, 2021, 07:36 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd
I would suggest Balsa USA or National Balsa

About six years ago, while volunteering at the EAA Oshkosh airshow, I was
browsing through part of the vendor areas and came across a fellow from Canadian Stock Room Supply
who was demonstarting a band saw attachment device called "The Little Ripper"
I purchased it plus two extra pieces of track, after quering him on using it to cut balsa.
It does an excellent job of being able to cut balsa blocks such as 4x4x3ft or 4x4x4ft into very thin sheets , 1/16, 1/8/ 1/4 etc.

Being that the cost of balsa in hobby shops and lack of balsa and elsewhere is rising dramatically this device is really handy to have!
It also saves trips to hobby shops, etc to find wood, which cuts down on $3 a gallon gasoline use!
it's a 70 mile round trip for me!

I also have several other power tools.

10 inch portable Skil saw from Home Depot, a heavy duty Craftsman 20 inch scroll saw, a Craftsman radial arm saw, so I can cut any kind of wood I need.
Locally we have an Oak Tree Supply store that carries basswood at very reasonable prices.
If you consider you can cut 32 1/8 inch sheets from one 4x4 or 16 1/4 inch sheets from a 4x4 or 64 1/16 sheets from a 4x4, the savings quickly adds up!

Here is a video of the Little Ripper
Easy to set up and use on a band saw.
Cuts balsa sheets that are very accurate and smooth.

https://youtu.be/TctAz6l7MHA

And if you have a band saw, this is the greatest video on properly setting it up for maximum performance!

https://youtu.be/wGbZqWac0jU

You failed to mention the cost of this attachment, which upon checking, I found to be $344.99, THIS IS WITHOUT THE BAND SAW
I don't use near that much balsa to warrant that expenditure. I order $100.00-$200.00 worth of balsa, basswood and plywood which usually lasts me a couple of years. Now if I were 20 years younger or if I still did commission builds I might have considered.
Nov 05, 2021, 08:27 AM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
believe it or not Joanne Fabric and crafts has a huge assortment of awesome Balsa, better than anyone else including Hobby lobby and it is always full. Display is at least 8 feet long.
Enjoy
Dave
Nov 05, 2021, 08:52 AM
Not in any of the Joanne's I've ever been to!
Nov 05, 2021, 09:46 AM
The local Michaels has a clearance sale on balsa right now.
Nov 05, 2021, 01:04 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF
Not in any of the Joanne's I've ever been to!
None I have been to either.

Quick Reply