May 31, 2021, 04:34 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Yes, you're thinking of Honduran Mahogany
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2021, 07:40 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I know there is also a wood called Sapele, which closely resembles mahogany and is used in a lot of European made kits. It's native to Africa.
Jun 01, 2021, 07:41 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Thanks Richard, I saved this site to my favorites for future use.
Jun 01, 2021, 10:45 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Don't go falling in love with Sig Manufacturing, I just got an email from Becky @ Sig, who informed me that the balsa and lite ply are both out of stock for a few weeks and if I wanted it back ordered, natureally I said yes. That's the story with about every source I have found.

I think the best bet to find any is going to be some local hobby shop in podunk Iowa or similar that doesn't see a lot of foot traffic.
Jun 05, 2021, 07:01 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I boght the 33" fiberglass hull on the classifieds since I can't seem to find balsa and lite ply any where. I even made a trip to Hobby Lobby yesterday and their's had been picked over like a dead carcus on the side of the road. I think I can make the hull work for what I need.
Jun 05, 2021, 06:39 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Important Information from our VP (2 min 27 sec)

It would seem to us that "free energy" has a cost after all....at least for the model airplane world: https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2019...es-a-shortage/
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Jun 06, 2021, 04:50 PM
MK
MK
1-5 years to work itself out??? Gulp!
Jun 08, 2021, 04:00 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
LOL,, when I live in CA,, there was a supplier called Superior Balsa in Hawaiian Gardens,, They sold Balsa, Sticks, ply and bulk CA glue. When I went there I'd only bring enough cash that would cover what I knew I "needed" for a project and leave me CC at home

Was nice being able to hand pic off their shelves,, good ole days I guess

Their mail order stuff was of very good quality.
Still have a few pieces from how long ago?

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Jun 16, 2021, 11:45 AM

Balsa wood sources

I would suggest Balsa USA or National Balsa

About six years ago, while volunteering at the EAA Oshkosh airshow, I was
browsing through part of the vendor areas and came across a fellow from Canadian Stock Room Supply
who was demonstarting a band saw attachment device called "The Little Ripper"
I purchased it plus two extra pieces of track, after quering him on using it to cut balsa.
It does an excellent job of being able to cut balsa blocks such as 4x4x3ft or 4x4x4ft into very thin sheets , 1/16, 1/8/ 1/4 etc.

Being that the cost of balsa in hobby shops and lack of balsa and elsewhere is rising dramatically this device is really handy to have!
It also saves trips to hobby shops, etc to find wood, which cuts down on $3 a gallon gasoline use!
it's a 70 mile round trip for me!

I also have several other power tools.

10 inch portable Skil saw from Home Depot, a heavy duty Craftsman 20 inch scroll saw, a Craftsman radial arm saw, so I can cut any kind of wood I need.
Locally we have an Oak Tree Supply store that carries basswood at very reasonable prices.
If you consider you can cut 32 1/8 inch sheets from one 4x4 or 16 1/4 inch sheets from a 4x4 or 64 1/16 sheets from a 4x4, the savings quickly adds up!

Here is a video of the Little Ripper
Easy to set up and use on a band saw.
Cuts balsa sheets that are very accurate and smooth.

Setting Up Your Little Ripper (6 min 58 sec)

And if you have a band saw, this is the greatest video on properly setting it up for maximum performance!

Band Saw Clinic with Alex Snodgrass (35 min 13 sec)
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Jun 16, 2021 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Jun 16, 2021, 08:03 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
OK Ed, are you offering to cut me some wood or are just bragging about all those tools you got?
The little Ripper sounds great, but I can't even get the blocks to cut. All the places I have checked are out of stock on most all their balsa. I sold most of my tools a few years ago and kept a few basics. I finally broke down and bought a Porter Cable scroll saw the other days for a few up coming projects. I have owned two scroll saws in the past, but found myself cutting pieces manually with a coping saw because I could control it better and I seemed to get a better finished product especially when cutting mahogany and black walnut, slip ups can get a bit costly, but it was time consuming.
Sep 04, 2021, 12:58 PM
Just received my first from National Balsa and was very impressed with the quality, grain, no warp and great packaging.
Sep 05, 2021, 07:13 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I agree, I just received my order from National Balsa as well.
Sep 20, 2021, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike
Anyone have a good source for balsa wood?
www.alofthobbies.com they have everything you need !
Oct 13, 2021, 07:41 PM
Send lawyers, guns and money
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
in Hawaiian Gardens...
Remember as a kid driving by/through there on the way to Knott's Berry Farm with my parents. That place should've won an award for Ironically Named City of the Century.
Oct 14, 2021, 09:23 AM
For lite ply, I have had some luck with Woodcraft. They are in many large towns, if you can wait for a sale the prices can be quite reasonable. They also tend to have clearance section with good prices. I think I paid $15 for a half sheet (4'x4') of 1/8" plywood a few years ago.

https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/plywood

Quick Reply