On the workbench - RC Groups
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2005, 01:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
Some comments and questions from the "Peanut Gallery":

1) What excatly is your shop? Is it a dedicated building, or an add-on to your home?

It looks very roomy, must seem like a palace after building your models aboard ships for so many years!

2) Too bad you only build boats. I can imagine what kind of model airplanes you would be turning out!

3) What was the exact address again?
Jul 06, 2005, 02:07 PM
Sadly, nothing 'active' on my workbench right now... I am knee deep in a house painting and flooring project. I hope to be done by August, leaving me enough time to start/finish one more boat before the end of the year!

Bob, are you building your Catalina from a kit or scratch?

Umi, I've been following your Sparviero Hydrofoil- Very interesting project!
Jul 06, 2005, 06:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
This is my workload right now. I've been busting my butt doing a floor, and ceiling and wall insulation. This will be my workshop for model building:
Jul 06, 2005, 08:09 PM
OH MAN! I saw sheds like that for sale at home depot and thought if I had the room in my yard... Looks like you are going to have a great shop Kmot!
Jul 06, 2005, 09:37 PM
Nice Hulls, Models and especially the shop!!!
Jul 06, 2005, 11:16 PM
KC8WPF
Quote:
What excatly is your shop?
It's the basement of my house; about 30' x 18'. There is a wall creating the "back room" (for the furnace, water heater, & storage), the back room is about 9' x 20'. The main shop area is about 9' x 30'. The cabinets and carpet were already in the basement; all I did was repaint the walls and install a nice ceiling.

I upset my wife after we moved in. She was watching a baseball game in the living room, when I entered with my tape measure and a paper with the floor plan sketched on it. She asked what I was measuring the living room floor for. I told her I was going to install a hatch or trap door, about 15 inches wide and 5 feet long; and I was going to install a hoist on the ceiling, so I could simply lift my boats from the basement. It would make it easier to move the Tamaroa around.

Quote:
Too bad you only build boats.
My other hobby interest is N scale model railroading. The train layout is 4' x 16', along the wall dividing the basement. The back room has a 2' x 16' area for the railyard. The railroad is under construction.

Quote:
What was the exact address again?
1060 West Addison.

Quote:
Bob, are you building your Catalina from a kit or scratch?
From an old Sterling kit. Judging from the box, it appears to be a kit produced in the mid 1960's.

Quote:
Plus I have to work...
I have to work too. Fortunately for me, the work is part time at the LHS.
Last edited by CG Bob; Jul 07, 2005 at 10:00 PM.
Jul 07, 2005, 12:50 AM
Grumpa Tom
Aerominded: it is a "Tuff Shed" brand. I got it from them, don't know if Home Depot sells these or not?

Yes, I am excited about having a "real" shop finally!

Bob, your shop is positively "Titanic" lol............
Jul 07, 2005, 09:52 PM
Quote:
What was the exact address again?

1060 West Addison.

"It's got a cop motor: a 440 cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is this the new Bluesmobile, or what?"

"Fix the lighter."

The scary part is, I typed most of that from memory!

Zach
Jul 07, 2005, 11:11 PM
Good gosh, Bob, judging by your first shop picture, you could have dances in there! Way to go, we're all envious.
Bill
Last edited by jeepers1940; Jul 08, 2005 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
Jul 08, 2005, 12:49 AM
Taking care of the pond.
I put down 1060 West Addison. Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field. Elwood: I gotta hit the sack. (Jake lies asleep in Elwood's bed)
Jul 08, 2005, 10:54 PM
Bob, thanks for the peek at your shop and models. You have some really fine boats in progress, there. Some of us are more than a little interested in your commissioned Sterling Catalina. Have you some preliminary thoughts on powering it - like, one prop or two? Motor type, size? Battery type, size? Inquiring minds want to know - your thinking will influence some similar decisions of some of us who also have Catalinas in the works. Thanks...
Bill
Last edited by jeepers1940; Jul 08, 2005 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Clarity