What the Heck Wednesday - Landing Crash to Take-off???

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have an ordinary sailplane landing that turns into the most insanely lucky save I've seen in a long time.

Splash

Luckiest Crash I've Ever Seen

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have an ordinary sailplane landing that turns into the most insanely lucky save I've seen in a long time. First of all, I'm super jealous of these guys getting to fly at this awesome slope site. Now let's get into the video. After a few minutes of some great sloping, the pilot sets up for a landing on the grass site. He brings it in a little too hot and touches down nicely, but the momentum carries the plane over the peak and that's where the drone footage kicks in.

We see the plane sliding and bouncing down the mountain face for what looks like hundreds of feet. It gains enough speed to bounce right up into the air and start flying again. I'm sure the pilot was sweating bullets and super excited to see plane recover. The fun wasn't over though as the plane did suffer some damage during the ride down and that made it extra tricky to land it back on the mountain top. Kudos to the pilot for staying cool and never giving up. Has something like this ever happened to you? What would be your first reaction seeing your plane heading over a peak like this?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Last edited by Jason Cole; May 26, 2021 at 06:14 AM..
May 26, 2021, 06:36 AM
That was beautiful. Well done!!!
May 26, 2021, 06:47 AM
I'd rather be Flying
What a save! What a video!
May 26, 2021, 12:03 PM
the occasional flyer
EDF is a ducted fan? Very cool.
May 26, 2021, 02:12 PM
Intermediate Multi
I see one moral in there. Make sure your slope soarers have a power source so that, in a pinch, you can bring them back up to the top of slope.
Last edited by Trisquire; May 27, 2021 at 05:05 AM.
May 26, 2021, 09:28 PM
DS Junkie
That was terrible!!
May 27, 2021, 12:32 AM
That was painful to watch. Thank God for that ice patch!
May 27, 2021, 12:35 PM
DS Junkie
I should clarify that when I said "terrible", I was thinking what Clay said. Really painful to watch! That was just about the longest crash I can remember watching. Like in Delirious when Eddie Murphy's aunt is falling down the steps. "I'm halfway down now!!".

I mean it was neat that it launched and flew again but that was a lot of dollars getting raked over rocks.
May 29, 2021, 07:21 PM
ah dinnae ken
I thought it was a testament to the strength of that model. Those big glass ships Loog fragile but that is clearly not the case.
Latest blog entry: Gliders_it graecalis
Jun 02, 2021, 10:43 AM
Now that's some cool crazy stuff.
Jun 03, 2021, 10:51 AM
"EDF turned on" ....Cheaters!

Quick Reply