May 22, 2021, 10:49 AM
Expert At Rapid Deconstruction
Thread OP
Discussion

Wilson Fall Fun Fly 2021

The general consensus of the few pilots I talked to at this year's Midwest Slope (non)Challenge (due to Covid) is that an early to mid-September date for the Wilson Fall Fun Fly would be preferred.

That being the case, let's plan on the weekend of:

September 10th - 12th.

As always, I'll plan to arrive earlier in the week than Fri, Sept 10th, probably Tues, Sept 7th.

'hope to see you there!

Looking forward to flying with you at Wilson in the fall!

... Greg
Last edited by Rocky Mtn Flier; Jun 05, 2021 at 08:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2021, 11:22 AM

Rj-5

Hi Greg,
I know this was not directed to me albeit I have an interest. I am already booked to stay at the Railway hotel 3rd -9th so I have no input.

My question though is what can you tell me is the general weather conditions at the lake the period I'll be there. I am bringing a 4.1m scale model probable weight 10-11lbs High aspect ratio wing, a never before modeled aircraft so everything untested I have a couple of folk who have offered to help me as I did play the sympathy card 91 in Oct. I also am bringing 9 other models 2 1/3 scale 1 needs wing finishing 1 needs painting + 3 PSS planes a 2.5 Pulsar a 100" ASW 28 has been repaired on rear end. Appreciate if you can pass the word giving up everything up for sale and I'll add pictures here as I finish each one

Thanks

David AKA Da Glider Guy
May 23, 2021, 11:03 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Greg
I think September 16th to the 19th is a good choice. Joe Chovan gets married on the 26th, so maybe he could be here for a bachelor's send off. If not, at least those attending the wedding might be able to be here.

Mark
May 23, 2021, 12:51 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagliderguy
Hi Greg,
I know this was not directed to me albeit I have an interest. I am already booked to stay at the Railway hotel 3rd -9th so I have no input.

My question though is what can you tell me is the general weather conditions at the lake the period I'll be there. I am bringing a 4.1m scale model probable weight 10-11lbs High aspect ratio wing, a never before modeled aircraft so everything untested I have a couple of folk who have offered to help me as I did play the sympathy card 91 in Oct. I also am bringing 9 other models 2 1/3 scale 1 needs wing finishing 1 needs painting + 3 PSS planes a 2.5 Pulsar a 100" ASW 28 has been repaired on rear end. Appreciate if you can pass the word giving up everything up for sale and I'll add pictures here as I finish each one

Thanks

David AKA Da Glider Guy
According to windhistory.com link below, the prevailing wind direction for September is SSE at 10 to 15 knots, which is perfect for the main hill at Wilson Lake.
http://windhistory.com/station.html?KRSL
Aug 03, 2021, 03:05 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Sorry, Bryan and I both have family stuff that weekend and can't make it.

Maybe in the future it could be scheduled for a weekend different than the S.D. fall gathering -- that way if we couldn't make one, we could go to the other. There are a number of pilots that go to one or the other or both -- Thane, Jim, Bruce, sometimes Joe. They almost always are on the same weekend in May, but that's unavoidable since there's usually only one weekend between Mother's Day and Memorial Day.

The S.D. dates for the year are usually chosen in March.

-= Dave
Aug 04, 2021, 08:58 AM
Thread OP
Dave: Do the South Dakota'ians post their dates? I've never seen them. Or... If you get them, perhaps you could let me know so the WF3 can avoid the same weekend.

... Greg
Aug 04, 2021, 10:17 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn Flier
Dave: Do the South Dakota'ians post their dates? I've never seen them. Or... If you get them, perhaps you could let me know so the WF3 can avoid the same weekend.

... Greg
They don't post anything. You went once, aren't you on their email list now? It's on the bottom of all "group" emails.

Or else Mark can add you, or I can just forward you the dates when they come out:

-= Dave
Aug 04, 2021, 10:48 AM
Sept. 9th-12th
Aug 04, 2021, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
Dave: Please forward the dates when they come out. And of course, I wasn't not aware of the SD dates when the weekend of the 10th - 12th was chosen for WF3. 'need to pay more attention next year!

... Greg
Aug 04, 2021, 05:09 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn Flier
Dave: Please forward the dates when they come out. And of course, I wasn't not aware of the SD dates when the weekend of the 10th - 12th was chosen for WF3. 'need to pay more attention next year!

... Greg
No problem, Greg. And we didn't have this family stuff planned when the dates were picked.

I'll send you next year's calendar when it comes out.

-= Dave
Aug 07, 2021, 09:09 PM
I might just be there ... thanks.
Aug 19, 2021, 08:27 AM
NY Slope Dog
Not looking good for Mary and I attending. Still too many odds and ends. Thanks for keeping us in mind but please don't plan around us if another date will be best for all.

We'll plan to see you in the Spring.
Aug 30, 2021, 06:09 PM

lake Wilson

To all that are going to Lake Wilson in Sptember. I will be there from the 6th to the 13th since I last posted my phisical apparatus has gotten steadly worse still sound of mind and full of spirit, I am seeking help with preparation and launching of models, if I try and throw a model I might end up in the lake. Some folk who were to help me have other plans hence my requst for assistance.
I intend to bring 10 models either scale or look scale PSS type a 1/3 Rhonadler my prototype unpainted 1/4 scale RJ-5 also a none flyable 1/4 scale scratch built Riva Super Ariston mahogany runabout. Everything is for sale make me an offer that's not offensive .
The last time I flew was in the UK 4 year ago I might be a bit rusty.
I did post elsewhere some pictures of my models, If you want I can email them

David AKA Da Glider Guy
Aug 30, 2021, 06:17 PM
And Repairs
Anybody will be happy to help you. It’s possible that Greg will be the only one there that early in the week, but he’s the most helpful of all : )
Safe Travels
PS Bring something for light lift too, if you have it.
Aug 30, 2021, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
David: Yes. I'd be glad to help you launch, as will any of the pilots. I plan to drive out on Monday, Sept 6th. And if the wind's appropriate might be on the main slope around dinner time. Tues morning I'm tentatively planning to drive over to Abilene to go through the Eisenhower library coming back to Wilson probably mid-day. But if the wind is particularly good, could put that side trip off. Since I might be the only other early arriver, let's get each other's phone # to text or call. Mine is: Three oh three, nine fifty-six, twenty-one, nineteen. And I'll be camping in my small white fiberglass trailer in site #6 in the Sylvan Park campground, at the (dry side) foot of the dam.

... Greg

Quick Reply