May 21, 2021, 10:03 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Discussion

BVM Maverick--Equipment and Performance Upgrades

I've finally gotten ahold of two nice examples of one of BV's classic sport jets. The first one has been around for a long time. Evidently passed through quite a few owners. If you know anything about this particular unit feel free to chime in with details. The second one is a partially built kit. So it's a blank canvas, no need to strip paint or rip out old equipment.

This one was pretty much ready to go externally in good shape but I'm going to upgrade it a little first.
I'm replacing the air retracts with JP Hobby 120's which accept 12mm struts, and because of my short runway I'm adding a set of their 65mm wheels and brakes. The old pull/pull steering is going away, the retracts come with a servo mount for direct steering.

I'm making custom trailing struts to help with rough landings and occasional grass opps. The wings are pretty thin so I'll have to make sure everything is flush. I want to keep it clean.

Here are a couple of pics just to get started.
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 22, 2021 at 08:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2021, 09:57 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP

Disclaimer

If you think it's sacrilegious to modify or replace equipment on BV jets with non-BV parts, this is probably a thread you'll want to skip. I love the looks of the BV sport jets, but I have no qualms about modifying any model to make it fit my preferences better. After all the Maverick was designed about a quarter century ago and designed around the components available at the time. To think they should remain completely stock is nonsense to me.
It's like the difference between restoration and hot rodding. I'm a hot rodder, not a restoration enthusiast. Okay, disclaimer finished.
May 22, 2021, 10:19 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP

Retracts, Struts & Brakes

Pneumatic retracts and brakes are definitely old technology and they are the first thing I'm changing.
Pneumatic retracts require a lot of extra space and complexity, are difficult to make work smoothly and are prone to leaks. Extracts aren't perfect, but they are lighter, more simple (especially the two- wire variety) and require much less space. The same can be said about pneumatic brakes.
Good struts are available to buy and fly, but are pretty expensive, and can be difficult to squeeze into thin wings.

I've sourced parts that make building homemade struts pretty easy, and it can be done with simple tools that most avid modelers have on hand. I use a 9" table top 59" bandsaw with a blade for soft metal, and a table top belt sander with a 4" x 36" belt. Other than those, just a drill, taps, and screw drivers are all that are needed..
May 22, 2021, 10:31 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP

Struts Parts and Materials List

6mm threaded rod

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M19O9XS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

1/4" aluminum plate

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V5NRP4J...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Steel clevis with 6mm inside threads (these say they are 5mm thread, but are in fact 6mm thread, at least when I got them)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JYK7BZS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

12mm od x 5mm I'd Aluminum Tubing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YCGPLHV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Also needed are various 4mm bolts and 3mm set screws and springs. I'll add links for these later.
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 22, 2021 at 08:57 PM.
May 22, 2021, 10:35 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP

Strut/Brake Closeups

Close ups of the LG assembly.
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 22, 2021 at 12:14 PM.
May 23, 2021, 12:28 AM
What is the powerplant plan?
Jim
May 23, 2021, 09:46 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Hi Jim, thanks for the interest. Here's a video of this exact jet's performance back in 2013 on 12s. Keep in mind the advanced performance of today's lipos. The fan in it is a Hayoe 115mm shroud, a cut down Turbax 120mm rotor and a Turnigy 5055-880kv helicopter outrunner. It's a combo that I started experimenting with 10 years ago. It produces 15lbs of thrust at around 5kw for a total fan unit cost of about $150, even at today's prices.
That is already a nice improvement over any of BVM's
plug and play units simply because of price improvement. I think the video also shows that the performance is excellent.
So, my plan is to fly it with the current fan, with a Hobby Wing 160hv esc which can handle up to 14s. Ultimately I'm considering a Jet Fan 110mm with a 750kv 56mm inrunner. I've run that fan on 18s and at about 10kw and the performance is incredible. I'm hoping that the Maverick can handle the extra weight, because the performance will be off the charts if it can.

Check out this old video.

BVM Maverick Electric Conversion (2 min 21 sec)
May 23, 2021, 10:49 AM
Well that certainly works!

I have a Mav Pro here as well and am not quite sure what to do with it.
I don't need ultimate speed but prefer maneuverability and lighter wts.
May 23, 2021, 11:28 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Absolutely. We all have their preferences. Another nice thing about the home brewed fan described above is it's weight is as low as it's cost. The shroud and rotor are in line with the weight of any other FRP based fans, but the motor only weights 15oz which is light for a motor that can handle power levels of 6kw with mixed throttle use. It does require some fabrication and time to assemble, but at the time, the only fans readily available with 15+ lbs of thrust were priced at $1k and up.
I'd suggest getting with Gary at EffluxRC. I'd recommend a Jet Fan 110 at between 4kw and 5kw power level. Batteries will be the heaviest part of your power system. Gary really has the hands on experience the JF line. Whether you're trying to match the fan combo to some lipos you already have or if you're starting from scratch. He also sells a new line of ESC that have very advanced hardware and software. They are smaller and lighter for the same power level than anything else I know of.
Bottom line is that your jet will make an excellent EDF. A lot of them have been converted using BVM fans, but these days there are many choices that are about 1/2 the cost and offer performance as good or better. My top choice for fans 110mm and under is the Jet Fan line.
May 23, 2021, 03:14 PM
I would not recommend the use of the aluminum retract mount plate. It is far stronger than the structure it is screwed to.
I watched it happen to a Bandit at the field. He had aluminum mount plates installed. They ripped out a big hole in the wing
when the gear dropped into a rather deep divot on the grass overrun at the end of the runway. He did not have trailing-link-type struts.

Yeah, it was hard to pay $50 for a 12 X 12 inch CF plate, but easier than building a new wing...
May 23, 2021, 05:39 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
I appreciate the input. I have thought that aluminum
might be too strong, but the do sit directly under the
two carbon fiber spars that stand vertically in the wing. To go through the upper wing they'd have to shear right through the spars. I just can't see that happening. Maybe the guy with the Bandit didn't have the plates extending over the spars. Also, we can probably agree that trailing link struts are a major difference. They are one of the modern equipment developments that have evolved since the design of these jets. Without them I would agree that flex plates that will actually break are a very good idea.
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 23, 2021 at 05:59 PM.
May 23, 2021, 05:47 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Got the left side done today. Still have a few details to take care of ( like set screws and Loctite). Also I'm going to make new covers for both wings to better match the new struts and wheels.
Jun 07, 2021, 04:04 PM
Quest for Speed!!!
Great thread , lots of useful information for the modlers . Is this the M pro or the older maverick?

I have the pro version and the wings look different at the retract area . I would like to go the electric route as well. I bought eflite retracts instead of Jp .

do you think JP is much better suited? what about the nose gear?

I have a BVM 9 er 12 s ....i think it will be perfect for this jet .

Mike

following this thread !
Last edited by Mike_eee; Jun 07, 2021 at 04:20 PM.
Jun 07, 2021, 04:18 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
ive got a mav thats not quite finished yet. it will be getting a viofan and vio .91..for old times sake
Jun 08, 2021, 12:42 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_eee
Great thread , lots of useful information for the modlers . Is this the M pro or the older maverick?

I have the pro version and the wings look different at the retract area . I would like to go the electric route as well. I bought eflite retracts instead of Jp .

do you think JP is much better suited? what about the nose gear?

I have a BVM 9 er 12 s ....i think it will be perfect for this jet .

Mike

following this thread !
Thanks Mike, glad you're enjoying the thread.
I don't know the exact Maverick version that this is. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about the various versions can chime in on that.

I actually bought the JP 120's before I bought the Maverick, but the mains fit easily and will be pretty easy to fit doors on if I get the notion, even small wheel doors would be fairly simple.

My biggest question was whether or not I could fit the brakes but they fit well too.

I have gotten the nose gear finished as well but I'm out of town until Sunday. I'll add some info and pictures when I get back.

I like the JP retracts because they take 12mm struts instead of 5mm or 6mm wire. Much stronger and cleaner imo.

I'm sure the BVM fan you have will be a great match. Personally, I think this bird is better suited for a 105mm - 110mm fan. Still plenty of thrust and better efflux speeds at the same power level. This jet is very clean and should be great with a 110 or so at 6kw-7kw.

Quick Reply