May 20, 2021, 12:13 AM
Thread OP
Help!

OMP Hobby V2 - Esc replacement

Hello,

I have not been flying much for the past several years, decided to get back into it recently. Bought a OmpHobby M2 Eplorer - after several flights, I burnt the ESC - I tested with several tail motors (and also with other units), so I am sure that I will need to replace the ESC

So, I ordered/received the ESC. I took off the Flight Controller (FBL unit) from the heli - and I am perplexed, How can I take it apart the FBL unit? There are four holes in all 4 corners of the unit (top and bottom) - and tried to unscrew using 1.2mm, 1.5mm hex driver as well as Philipps screw driver - none of them is working.

I am hoping someone has already taken it apart, and can give me some pointers.

Thank you in advance.
Khan
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2021, 01:51 AM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathofkhan
Hello,

I have not been flying much for the past several years, decided to get back into it recently. Bought a OmpHobby M2 Eplorer - after several flights, I burnt the ESC - I tested with several tail motors (and also with other units), so I am sure that I will need to replace the ESC

So, I ordered/received the ESC. I took off the Flight Controller (FBL unit) from the heli - and I am perplexed, How can I take it apart the FBL unit? There are four holes in all 4 corners of the unit (top and bottom) - and tried to unscrew using 1.2mm, 1.5mm hex driver as well as Philipps screw driver - none of them is working.

I am hoping someone has already taken it apart, and can give me some pointers.

Thank you in advance.
Khan
Hey buddy.

I think the screws are philips head from memory, but very small as you've seen and not all drivers fit nice.
From memory I have some small mobile phone posi screw drivers that fitted nicely and undone the screws nicely.

From here the two case halves separate and you can get to the flight controller stack.

Ian Contessa
May 20, 2021, 01:51 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
The screws are small Phillips, nothing special. As Ian says, screwdrivers for mobile phone repair fit nicely.
May 20, 2021, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Gentlemen, thank you very much for your responses - good to know that it is possible to take it apart, I was getting really frustrated.

I will look on ebay to get some mobile phone screw drivers

How does it open up, from the top or bottom shell?
May 20, 2021, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
https://www.amazon.com/Kaisi-16-Piec...1535928&sr=8-7

Do you think this set would do it?
May 20, 2021, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Gentlemen, thank you very much for your responses - good to know that it is possible to take it apart, I was getting really frustrated.

I will look on ebay to get some mobile phone screw drivers

How does it open up, from the top or bottom shell?
Hey Buddy.

No problem you're most welcome and glad to help.

The two halves simply pull apart, so the blakc top casing will lift off the bottom silver half. You may need to slice through the anti-tamper sticker and then as you seperate the two halves be careful to slide the OMP aerial out of the rubber grommet in the top slowly.
From here you will then see the two PCB's inside which again simply pull apart as they connect to one another at either ends with 2.54mm pitch headers.

Ian Contessa
May 20, 2021, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Hey.

That should work, but I used the philips head screw driver from this kit as I had a couple from replacing phone screens. At 2 it's cheap

https://ebay.us/ubUEaq

Although a slightly better quality set won't do no harm to have with this model, as the screws are small on it and others.

Ian Contessa
May 20, 2021, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Thank you again, very very helpful ... this is what makes RCG the greatest!

Quick Reply