May 18, 2021, 10:08 AM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
Discussion

Flitz2 rebuild, rebuild, rebuild ;)

So last summer I bought a used and badly damaged Flitz2, the wing had a couple delam spots and the leading edge was a little beat up.
The nose was snapped off and completely missing plus it was snapped in half behind the wing.
The rudder was also detached from the vert stab.

So after cutting the center section out of the wing and rejoining the halves with a couple 3mm carbon rods rammed into the core to replace the broken spar and a healthy amount of epoxy and carbon fiber tissue paper plus a nose I bought from Aloft I have it almost back to flying state.

All I have left is to install the elevator servo, I'm going to skip having a rudder for now (unless I need more nose weight than the battery provides) as my 1m doesn't have one and while I would like it I know I can fly it without for now. It will be easy to add later if I change my mind. I completely covered the vertical stab/rudder forming one piece for now since the vert stab was also broken.

So here's some pics of getting to where I'm at now with it.
Used foam board hot glued then sanded to shape the blend between the original fuselage and the new nose.
I've got a little more carbon fiber to lay but for the most part the fuselage is ready to mount the radio.
I installed the nose 90 degrees off so the canopy is on the throwing peg side. I noticed with my 1m that having it on top means having to tape it so the G forces don't push it off center. This should solve that problem

Wingspan is now 1440mm so you have an idea just how much was cut from the center of the wing.
As you can see the aileron servos are very close to each other now.

I'm not completely square between the wing and tail but I should be able to shim the wing saddle with some carbon tissue to make it a little better.

I have plans to buy a nice new 1.5m but haven't decided which one yet as shipping to Canada is also a concern to be accounted for on top of simply which model I like the most.
Been leaning towards an NRJ or CX5 but nothing decided for sure yet.

Any comments or advice is always welcome.
Last edited by CR5; May 18, 2021 at 10:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2021, 01:13 PM
I' ve got a plane to catch...
Almost sounds like a 'real modelbuilder'!

Have fun remaiden and flying it...

Haven't flow a NRJ or a CX 5, but don't forget to look at a Falcon. No idea what the cost are if Oleg has to send it over...?
May 18, 2021, 01:17 PM
I can probably fix that...
I can vouch for the CX5, it is a very nice airframe that will treat you well. It is almost impossible to fly it “wrong”
May 18, 2021, 01:51 PM
FWIW we'll begin shipping BAMF 2's from Vancouver soon.
May 18, 2021, 07:38 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
FWIW we'll begin shipping BAMF 2's from Vancouver soon.
I've looked at your gliders before and would love to support a Canadian company, when will you have stock again?
May 19, 2021, 11:24 AM
We're just getting our Vancouver location up to help supplement our US warehouse on large bulky items (planes) so we don't have anything in stock here yet... the first two batches are going to be Deviants, and the first batch of BAMF 2's are scheduled for mid July.
May 19, 2021, 05:57 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
We're just getting our Vancouver location up to help supplement our US warehouse on large bulky items (planes) so we don't have anything in stock here yet... the first two batches are going to be Deviants, and the first batch of BAMF 2's are scheduled for mid July.
Thanks, I'll keep watching the website.

Today I mounted the elevator servo, it's pull/spring setup but I used some very thin piano wire instead of cable or string, seems to work well.
I also plugged in the wing and set up the flight modes and brakes.
Just have to figure out which batery to use, going to need quite a bit of nose weight so I think I'll use a regulator and a little larger 2 cell. Probably a 2s 800mAh if I can get it in past the receiver.

Once I've got the CG all that's left is setting elevator for each flight mode plus the curve for the brakes. Then just fine tuning the settings once it's flying.
May 19, 2021, 10:17 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
This is what I started with on this project.
First pic is after cutting the center out of the wing and gluing it back together.
May 20, 2021, 12:04 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
It glides, got home from work this morning and threw it around the yard. Got the elevator trimmed in cruise mode.
I know it's probably going to be overweight since I ended up with a Castle Creations 10A regulator and a 2S 800mAh in the nose to get CG without adding lead but it seems to fly well the 5-6 overhead throws so far.
I'll take the scale out and weigh it later today.
May 20, 2021, 05:14 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
Did some more tuning when I got up, got it trimmed pretty close in all flight modes, brakes are set up, still need a little fine tuning of the camber and reflex settings but they're useful now at least.

Here's what I ended up on the radio setup. This nose cone has lots of space
Was thinking if I added a rudder the weight of the servo would let me change to a different battery and get rid of the regulator but I'm not sure I'd trust a blenderm hinge or some flimsy fabric CA hinges to a DLG, seems to fly pretty good as is, I'll be able to fly all day on this battery size and probably don't need ballast

Don't worry, the T plug will be replaced, it was just on the regulator in the parts drawer.

Scale has a dead battery, I didn't feel like wasting time that I could be flying so I took it out to the field instead.
Best flight was 4:30 riding ridge lift off the trees.
Launching about 45m right now, still need to make some adjustments to the launch settings, it needs a little more reflex I think and I must not be throwing it wings level as it's rolling left a little after release plus it's rotating too fast at high speeds after release and I don't want to take too much more out of my elevator launch button preset.

Not sure what I ended up with for dihedral angle, maybe I should measure it and see, wasn't even thinking, just made it look pretty close to my other DLG

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Only have about $250 into it including the AR6610T SMART receiver.
Last edited by CR5; May 20, 2021 at 05:21 PM.
May 21, 2021, 08:00 AM
Build and Fly
This is an interesting rebuild - great work!

FWIW the Kevlar gave up on my NXT rudder, so I'm running a blenderm hinge now. It has maybe 20 hours on it and seems OK so far. I might try making a silicone hinge if it gets annoying.
May 21, 2021, 08:37 AM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
Thanks
Don't know how long it will hold together but for now at least it seems strong.
I'm worried that some loops or just dumb flying may fold the wing. I did use two 3mm carbon fiber rods for spars plus some carbon fiber tissue paper and carbon ribbon all epoxied together

I'm not really sure I need the rudder, I'm sure it would make the turns less draggy but it seems to fly well enough like this, for now anyway.
On a 40-45m launch I'm easily able to keep it in the air for a minute, more often it's 1:30-2:00 so far though and my best was 4:30 where I rode the turbulence off the trees up to a little over 80m before the wind shifted and I lost it.

I'm still getting the dual rates set nicely, I like lots of throw for slow speed close to the ground but like to also be able to flip to low rates for smooth up high time.

I may replace the elevator servo.
It's got an ebay (maybe, probably a copy) TP MG90 digital, it's got some slop around center.
I've got a couple other new ones of different brands to try. Don't want to pull it apart again quite yet though.
Next time the wing is off I need to square up the wing saddle, the wing doesn't sit square to the tail right now. I must have misaligned it slightly when fixing the broken boom. Not a huge deal but it should be done.
I also neee to fill some gaps along the bottom of the wing/fuse joint to clean it up a bit.
Little stuff now

I'll take some closer pics of the repairs soon.
And maybe a video of a flight or two
Last edited by CR5; May 21, 2021 at 08:44 AM.
May 21, 2021, 11:56 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
Went out for an hour with it today, best flight was 4:45 with a 40m launch and maxing out at 92m bouncing it off the tree turbulence before the wind changed and I lost it.

Put it in a tree, got it back with just a small ding in the horizontal stab leading edge.
After an hour of flying my battery checker says I'm still at 80%.

I'm going to solder in the voltage lead for the receiver telemetry so I can monitor the pack from the tx. Running 2s with a regulator I'm kinda blind till the regulator shuts down on low input voltage which is way below 3v/cell.

Got the flight modes and elevator corrections for each tuned a little better as well.

Flies really nicely
May 22, 2021, 11:59 AM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Thread OP
I shouldn't have pulled out the scale

What I found online says the Flitz2 should come in around 230-240g ready to fly. And that's with all 1500mm of original wing.
Now on my 1440mm repaired wing I'm at 290g no battery then at 335g flying weight with that brick of a battery I needed to get CG.
I wish I had a longer nose, maybe I should square it off and make it electric

Oh well, doesn't seem to be hurting it that bad, still had it up to 90m twice and it seems to fly nice and is plenty stable.
May 22, 2021, 12:47 PM
wow, it is very heavy. what is weight of the wing?

Quick Reply