VQ Models Cessna 188 "Agwagon" (ARF)

The VQ Models Cessna 188 "Agwagon" from HobbyKing is a highly detailed, impressive-looking model of this popular full-size workhorse. Due to its large wing area, working flaps, and light wing loading it has a very impressive flight performance, it also has options for gas, glow, and electric power.

Splash

VQ Models Cessna 188 "Agwagon" (ARF) Balsa & Ply Airplane for Electric or I.C. 1920mm (75.5")

From Hobbyking

This ARF model has a lightweight balsa and lite-ply jig built fuselage and wings, pre-hinged control surfaces, fiberglass cowl with detailed panel lines, and a huge internal space for electronics, and even possibly a flour hopper! Also included is a detailed cockpit with hand-painted pilot, spinner, servo mounts, vibrant decals, printed scale detail, and a complete hardware pack including mount and fuel tank for the glow/gas versions.

VQ Models Cessna 188 "Agwagon"(ARF) Balsa & Ply Airplane 1920mm (75.5") - Flight Review (21 min 38 sec)

For easy transportation and assembly, the Cessna 188 has a two-piece wing with an aluminum wing joiner allowing this impressive-sized model to be transported in the smaller hatchback cars. Another feature is a large battery hatch to facilitate easy battery pack changes between flights if you are electrifying the Cessna 188.

VQ Models/ H-King Agwagon 1920mm ARF - Flight Review (17 min 13 sec)

The Cessna 188 was a light agricultural aircraft produced between 1966 and 1983 by the Cessna Aircraft Company. The initial design of the Cessna 188 was so successful that over its 17-year production run the basic airframe remained unchanged. The main use for the Cessna 188 series was for agricultural purposes, ie, crop-dusting, but many examples were later acquired for use as sailplane and glider tugs.

So, if you are looking for a large, civilian balsa ARF scale model with impeccable flying characteristics and flight performance then the VQ Models Cessna 188 "Agwagon" is for you. The large internal space makes it possible to build in a flour hopper and dump valve system for some scale crop-dusting or fit a slightly more powerful motor to make it an ideal sailplane/glider tug or banner towing aircraft for your local model flying club when you have displays, (see related items for a glider/banner release hook).

Features

• Impressive size and flight performance
  • Jig-built lite ply/balsa fuselage and wings
  • Two-piece wing for easy transport and assembly
  • Mounting options for gas, glow, or electric
  • Control surfaces pre-hinged and installed
  • Detailed cockpit with hand-painted pilot
  • Fiberglass cowl with detailed panel lines

Specs:

• Type: VQ Models Cessna 188 "Agwagon" (ARF) Balsa & Ply Airplane for Electric or I.C.
  • Wingspan: 1920mm (75.5")
  • Length: 1300mm (51")
  • AUW Ready to Fly: 3.5kg (7.72lbs}, will vary with set-up
  • Engine: .60 (nitro/gas 2-Stroke) /.90 (4 Stroke) or electric equivalent
  • Radio: 6 channels with 7 or 8 servos
  • Electric Motor: Motors with a KV of 300~400 (Turnigy G90-325KV or NTM 5060 380KV recommended)
  • ESC: 60~80A or above
  • Battery: 6S 5000mAh or above LiPo or LiHV

Learn More!

Head over to Hobbyking for pricing and more info!

May 18, 2021, 01:25 PM
Mmm...castor smoke....
I've got the VQ B-24 in my hangar waiting to be built. If the quality of this ARF is anything like that one it's gonna be a badass bird!
May 18, 2021, 04:04 PM

Wing area?

What’s the wing area?
May 18, 2021, 06:14 PM
Great review!

It looks like there is room for 2 of those batteries and could reduce the weight added in the nose and add more flight time, but I may be missing or not seeing something.
May 18, 2021, 08:12 PM
Mmm...castor smoke....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf
Great review!

It looks like there is room for 2 of those batteries and could reduce the weight added in the nose and add more flight time, but I may be missing or not seeing something.
I doubt you missed something. Having to add a lot of weight to the nose is typical for GP/EP airframes like this one, as they're built a little tailheavy to balance the engine that GP builders will use. Throw a second pack in if you want to build yours EP instead of using lead, better idea, but EP builds of GP/EP airframes almost always need a lot of nose weight. My 110" B-24 is the same way; all builds need some extra weight right up front but EP builders often have to add over a pound up there. I'm hoping dual 2s4000 LiFE receiver packs will give me CG with minimal lead and quad Saitos for power.
May 19, 2021, 04:30 PM
Glider Geek!

I flew N9961G

I worked for High Country Soaring back in the 90s and actually flew the actual full scale version of this model N9961G. I almost died when I saw the announcement yesterday. My R/C soaring buddy, Tom Stowers, owned High Country Soaring in Minden, Nevada and asked me to come fly this and his Pawnee tow planes for a couple of summers. Had to order it yesterday. Looking forward to the model.

Shawn Lenci
Latest blog entry: Test
May 19, 2021, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenci1938e
I worked for High Country Soaring back in the 90s and actually flew the actual full scale version of this model N9961G. I almost died when I saw the announcement yesterday. My R/C soaring buddy, Tom Stowers, owned High Country Soaring in Minden, Nevada and asked me to come fly this and his Pawnee tow planes for a couple of summers. Had to order it yesterday. Looking forward to the model.

Shawn Lenci
I want this one too. I have the Eflite Air tractor that I haven't flown yet and now I want this one too.
May 19, 2021, 05:40 PM
Hobbyking does not have many VQ planes. Who is the new distributor for VQ? I miss VQwarbirds.com. Motion RC has some, renamed as Nexa brand and almost doubled the prices.
May 19, 2021, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrflyer1967
Hobbyking does not have many VQ planes. Who is the new distributor for VQ? I miss VQwarbirds.com. Motion RC has some, renamed as Nexa brand and almost doubled the prices.
I only counted 2 VQ planes there, on being the AG and the other a P51B unless I missed one.
May 19, 2021, 06:05 PM
Legend Hobby is the US home of VQ models...

https://www.legendhobby.com/product-...arbird-models/
May 19, 2021, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Flyer
Legend Hobby is the US home of VQ models...

https://www.legendhobby.com/product-...arbird-models/
But they have no VQ planes in stock.
May 20, 2021, 01:27 PM
I may get this. My wife is slowly getting into gliders. This could be fun.
May 20, 2021, 01:37 PM
I may get this. My wife is slowly getting into gliders. This could be fun.
May 21, 2021, 08:48 PM
Not defending motionrc, but most Nexa planes include electric retracts, which is why the prices are so much compared to old VQwarbirds. But I thought the same thing at first as well.
May 21, 2021, 08:58 PM
DFS#000178
It's a great-looking model. I may end up with one as a stable mate for my Hangar 9 Pawnee. they'd look good together.

Quick Reply