ArmSoar RC Glider Basics: Video Series

I am pumped to see Thomas from ArmSoar producing videos that cover the basics about these amazing RC gliders we get to play with.

Splash

Intro Video Series for Hand Launch Gliders

Thomas from ArmSoar Composites is a huge part of the global hand launch glider community. I was pumped to see him start producing videos showcasing the basics about these amazing RC gliders we get to play with. The videos are well produced and geared towards newcomers to DLG's, but I'd bet that even experienced pilots on here will learn something new.

To date, he's produced 4 videos covering topics like what a layup is, flight modes, radio programming and even a radio modification. I'll embed those videos below and I'm sure there will be more on the way. Be sure to comment in this thread and let Thomas know what questions you have or what other topics you'd like to see covered.

RC Discus Launch Glider Basics: What Is A Layup? (6 min 5 sec)

RC Discus Launch Glider Basics | Flight Modes (9 min 37 sec)

Spring Loading Your Radio's Flap Stick for DLGs (5 min 46 sec)

DLG Radio Setup on the Spektrum iX20 (24 min 24 sec)

Offsetting Your DLG Flaperons For The Best Performance (5 min 25 sec)

RC Glider Basics | What Is Ballast? (9 min 1 sec)

RC Glider Basics | CG and Dive Testing Your DLG (6 min 47 sec)

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jun 02, 2021 at 10:08 AM..
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 17, 2021, 07:25 PM
ThomasLee's Avatar
Hi Jason, thank you for creating this sticky article! My team and I are so excited about getting these made and published, I hope it gives some guidance and clears up some confusion for those entering the hobby.

We have a lot of ideas for upcoming videos, and once we cover some of the basics we will begin covering some more advanced topics in soaring.

Yes, yes, yes!! If anyone has suggestions on topics to cover please leave a comment, I read through all the stuff.

Shooting and editing these last four videos have taught us a lot about videos, we'll work hard to continue improving the image and audio quality
May 17, 2021, 09:12 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
elecfryer's Avatar
Very nice videos Thomas, thank you very much!

Michael
May 18, 2021, 12:15 PM
Registered User
Jabberwocky_'s Avatar
Third video from the top: ''Use a rubber.''
May 18, 2021, 01:54 PM
Registered User
Fantastic videos and the rubber band so simple to do. Personally I would use "Pole elastic" in the UK it's for the end sections of carbon fishing poles. It isn't affected by UV, dust or grime and appears to last forever. I have some made up dethermaliser bands on my free flight models that are 10 years old and still work fine. Just food for thought. Once again great videos.
May 19, 2021, 02:58 PM
ThomasLee's Avatar
Thank you for the tip tctele, I'll need to look into that and buy some!
May 19, 2021, 03:56 PM
Registered User
Rivan81's Avatar
Thomas, I'm loving the videos! They have helped so much!
I would love to see a video on setting up the Deviant, also one for setting up the BAMF.

By the way, I'm loving the Deviant!
How to find Thermals, Common DLG mistakes. Learning to throw. First steps of setting up, and doing first test flights would all be great!
May 20, 2021, 10:15 AM
ThomasLee's Avatar
Not offsetting the flaperons on a DLG install is probably one of the most common mistakes I've seen on beginner-builds. Learn why it's important, and let's do an install together in today's video.

Offsetting Your DLG Flaperons For The Best Performance (5 min 25 sec)
May 20, 2021, 11:12 AM
RCG Admin
Jason Cole's Avatar
Thread OP
Nice! Added to the article. I'll keep updating the 1st post with new videos as they are released. Good stuff!
May 20, 2021, 11:14 AM
Registered User
Dan Richardson's Avatar
Thomas,
Excellent Video on Flaperon offset and nice technique overall. Thanks for taking the time to produce this and the rest of the series.
Dan
May 20, 2021, 12:40 PM
Registered User
Subscribed!!!

You probably already have these and more on your list, but just in case...

-Finding or making good quality battery/receiver leads and plug types to consider.

-Avoiding reverse polarity between brands of plugs and chargers and also accidentally plugging things in backwards!

-Avoiding unnecessary stress on leads during connecting and disconnecting any connector (I make a “tape tab” on the batteries so I’m not pulling directly on the wires).

-Testing new LiPos and leads for faulty connections. New doesn’t always mean trustworthy!

-Lipo and receiver lead replacement timeframe, and warning signs.

Joseph
May 21, 2021, 01:37 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
Not offsetting the flaperons on a DLG install is probably one of the most common mistakes I've seen on beginner-builds. Learn why it's important, and let's do an install together in today's video.

https://youtu.be/PIj5q_sjQ2A
here's Reto's original guide on doing this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ical-advantage
May 22, 2021, 11:34 AM
ThomasLee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Nice! Added to the article. I'll keep updating the 1st post with new videos as they are released. Good stuff!
Thank you! We're planning on publishing a minimum of 1 video/week... that first post might end up really long... haha
May 22, 2021, 11:34 AM
ThomasLee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley
here's Reto's original guide on doing this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ical-advantage
THank you, I've linked it in the video
May 22, 2021, 11:35 AM
ThomasLee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCube
Subscribed!!!

You probably already have these and more on your list, but just in case...

-Finding or making good quality battery/receiver leads and plug types to consider.

-Avoiding reverse polarity between brands of plugs and chargers and also accidentally plugging things in backwards!

-Avoiding unnecessary stress on leads during connecting and disconnecting any connector (I make a “tape tab” on the batteries so I’m not pulling directly on the wires).

-Testing new LiPos and leads for faulty connections. New doesn’t always mean trustworthy!

-Lipo and receiver lead replacement timeframe, and warning signs.

Joseph
I'm going to have to brush up on my electronics skills first!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Discus Launch Gliders - Video Series Overview Jason Cole Electric Plane Talk 8 May 05, 2021 09:51 AM
Build Log Neos - ArmSoar Composite Gliders ThomasLee Hand Launch 1958 Jun 17, 2020 03:20 PM
Discussion Arctus - ArmSoar Composite Gliders ThomasLee Hand Launch 126 Aug 11, 2016 07:22 AM
New Product Aerial - ArmSoar Composite Gliders ThomasLee Hand Launch 2093 Aug 06, 2016 08:56 AM
Question Questions about ZMR250 build (from RC Model Reviews video series) Air Wizardo Beginner Multirotor Drones 4 Nov 17, 2015 09:34 PM