May 15, 2021, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Goggles offgassing

I had my goggles stored for a while and just opened the box and the plastic is sticky. Im guessing offgassing.
Anyone know how best to deal with this issue?

They are skyzone goggles.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2021, 04:30 AM
That problem can be caused by having other plastics stored nearby, especially in a sealed environment. The volatiles can react to dissolve or degrade some prone plastics. I know styrenes are a common cause, possibly other poly plastics or even paints containing esters can react over time.
Goggles (non black) have unusual compositions in order to be completely opaque to light so may account for the susceptibility
May 18, 2021, 06:52 AM
That is the known issue with Sky01 googles. I washed off the matt upper layer with medical gasoline or brake cleaner, I can not remember exactly, the result is a shiny black surface. Please note, the texts will also be removed partly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testfly
I had my goggles stored for a while and just opened the box and the plastic is sticky. Im guessing offgassing.
Anyone know how best to deal with this issue?

They are skyzone goggles.
May 18, 2021, 06:56 AM
The result.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-G970F eszközömről
May 18, 2021, 09:50 AM
Maybe you could seal the plastic with a wax, like carnauba or other automotive sealer.
Keep everything in and everything out...

Quick Reply