Sep 16, 2021, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McCullough
I use either 80% or 50% dark prescription glasses. Not polarized. Fly mainly sailplanes, so distance vision is key.

Don
Just a hint for those that are getting old enough to need varifocus or reading inserts:

Go for the reading inserts, varifocus is horrible when flying.
This because by necessity (the way varifocus lenses are ground) your vision will only be perfect when your head is exactly aligned with the plane, and peripheral vision suffers. Nasty for the times when you need to keep track of other traffic from the corner of your eye, and at times you have to "search" for the correct head position to see your own plane in focus.

Brilliant for everyday life or driving, but a dissapointment for RC flying.

I use varifocus for everyday life, but coloured prescriptions with reading inserts for flying (need the inserts to be able to see the telemetry screen).
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2021, 09:44 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
I have to agree with Brutus .... I have varifocal with variable tint ...

Made mistake of telling Glasses guy that I could not wear my Rayban's anymore ....

Brutus is spot on : Peripheral vision appears ok until you are landing / checking out around you before change in flight. If you are 100% on the model - then all is good but as you move away from that - the distortion comes in ...

I have a pair of cheapo readers from local supermarket that do better for flying ... but keep forgetting to carry them with me to flight line ....

As to tint ? Amber / Brown was always my best before I no longer could wear sunglasses on own ... now I have clip ons ... but darned hard to find non-polarized.
Latest blog entry: Creality Dual Z kit
Sep 17, 2021, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
I have to agree with Brutus .... I have varifocal with variable tint ...

Made mistake of telling Glasses guy that I could not wear my Rayban's anymore ....

Brutus is spot on : Peripheral vision appears ok until you are landing / checking out around you before change in flight. If you are 100% on the model - then all is good but as you move away from that - the distortion comes in ...

I have a pair of cheapo readers from local supermarket that do better for flying ... but keep forgetting to carry them with me to flight line ....

As to tint ? Amber / Brown was always my best before I no longer could wear sunglasses on own ... now I have clip ons ... but darned hard to find non-polarized.
Try prescription coloured... I got mine with the reading inserts, and I am EXTREMELY happy with it, I can now fly AND read my telemetry screen, without distortion or my eyes needing time to refocus. Brilliant!

Indeed, Amber/Brown works best for me as well.
Sep 22, 2021, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Really appreciate all the insights in this thread.
Oct 04, 2021, 04:15 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Guys is the best conclusion of the thread? Try prescription coloured... I got mine with the reading inserts, and I am EXTREMELY happy with it, I can now fly AND read my telemetry screen, without distortion or my eyes needing time to refocus. Brilliant!

Indeed, Amber/Brown works best for me as well.
I am not that old but I am having distance issues from over use at work.
I would like to purchase the best suggestion for distance /general flying
Thanks for the help

Quick Reply