Apr 22, 2002, 07:09 PM
zen pilot
Thread OP

help needed on CG for flying wing model

I read some where that flying wing models with reflexed airfoils need to have there cg ahead of the neutral point, like at 15% of the cord. is this right ? my baby blew model is done but i need to balance it , i copied the plan out of a magazine but was unable to get where the cg is,. can any one help?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2002, 08:25 PM
Is it a "plank" type wing? I had built a plank wing with a simitar series airfoil, and the C.G. was at 6% if I remember correctly. I've also heard that the C.G. can be further back, which makes the wing less stable (i.e. you can have it enter a spin).
Apr 23, 2002, 01:57 AM
Oz Member
O.K. while we're on the subject, what about Deltas? I'm looking at doing a Mirage, and realise that I will need reflex (Up Elevons) but I don't know where the C of g needs to be. It basically a pefect triangle, so there must be some kind of formula?
Apr 23, 2002, 07:30 AM
Most flying wings and deltas are between 15 and 20%
Apr 23, 2002, 06:39 PM
zen pilot
Thread OP
it is a plank wing .... so would would 18% be a good starting point? thanks alot in advance .
Apr 24, 2002, 08:12 AM
Just built a double tapered combat wing. Just checked the CG. Its right on 18%. Flies likes It's on rails. If it's a symetrical wing follow the bottom contour of the wing for first flight trim. If It's flat bottom try 1/8 in up elevator trim for starters. Good luck and let us know how it works.
Gord

Quick Reply