Jul 03, 2005, 10:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Waco Bi Planes from Dumas

From time to time i check the Dumas Web site for either the Waco ARE or the YMF Biplanes, i wonder if they will be out this Fall..

Last Week at the local hobby store i saw Pats design the Bird dog!! Very nice indeed--i am about half a dozen planes or so behind right now--LOL--so i am really catching up now!!

Not that i dare ask Pat, but whats next on your list??!! ERRR maybe its top secret??

You know it will never happen--but wouldnt it be so cool to have some between the wars bombers like the Martin bomber--or somthing with 2 motors that really lools nostalgic and rare..i would say my ultimate fantasy electric plane in light wing loading would be a twin beech...i dont know if it could even be done given the demensions and size of the wings--i got auto cad 2004 and i am only about 10 years away from being able to draw!! LOL--i am taking a computer science course and trying to learn but you have to have a lot of respect for the guys that can put it all together!!

Tim
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2005, 06:24 AM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
I have a set of plans for the Martin B-10. Its definitely a builder's airplane, all sticks & tissue.
Jul 04, 2005, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
really?--i am surprised that someone made plans for that one--were you thinking about building it too?

which company publishes them?

T
Jul 04, 2005, 11:34 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
The new Cleveland plans has a great selection of rubber powered ff planes that would convert easily

http://www.clevelandairline.com/default.asp
Jul 04, 2005, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
when i get the YMF i am going to make one just to hang up to show off the framework--its just such a sweet looking airframe un covered..

T
Jul 04, 2005, 04:04 PM
If you ever get a chance, go to the Nationa Bi-Plane Convention held every year in Bartlesville, OK, just north of Tulsa...Wacos, Stearmans, Rose Parakeets, Spartans, and about any other make you can imagine..
I haven't been to the meet for several years, but surely did enjoy the times I did...
Jul 05, 2005, 03:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Tim,

Keep watching. The ARE should be out pretty soon. I would suspect the Porter will be next and the ARE after that. Then we'll have to wait a bit for the Cessna, YMF, and the next one (secret?).

I still haven't got my hands on the YMF yet, drat!

In the meantime he'll have the little Ultimate short kits ready very soon.

Just as an aside, would any of you guys want a "kit" supplement for ailerons for any of these? Bird Dog flaps? Just testing the water here.

charlie
Jul 05, 2005, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
hey charlie--i usually build everything with ailerons because i cont have any 3 channel radios and one more servo is so cheap..why not..

these are really something to look forward to

t
Jul 05, 2005, 09:00 PM
I got my Pilatus Porter "Archive Kit" in the mail last Saturday, so the Porters are definately out there. That means that the wheels are grinding away on the ARE, which should be coming along soon. After that will come the C-120, then the YMF, probably in that order.
Next up is the top secret Cessna Agwagon Project. The plans are drawn, and building will begin as soon as the other stuff starts catching up a bit. And oh yeah, we've been kicking around a couple twins. But I'm not going to say which ones! You'll just have to keep an eye out for something really cool when it all gets underway. And there's a Multi well in the works too, when building gets underway I'll launch a thread on that too. I'm guessing it will be pretty well recieved. It's not real common, but it's real well known, and nobody is kitting one -- yet!!!
PAT
Jul 05, 2005, 09:11 PM
Tim, I worked with a friend for about 2 hours to look at the basic drawing functions in AUTOCAD, then went to work figuring it out on my own. The best way to learn it is with a project, not just drawing lines and circles. My first few drawings were useable, and buildable, but the drawings had some problems that I wasn't even aware of, until it was time to laser cut the parts.
Since then, I've learned a whole bunch about CAD drawing techniques to get a good clean useable drawing. I also got my hands on a copy of the AutoCAD 2000 Bible. The book is about 3" thick, but is broken down into very useable sub-groups, and the best part, is that it's written in plain English that an average Dummy can understand -- not like the utterly worthless "Help" section that's written by engineers who seem to have never spent a single day in the real world --Please, no offence intended to all you computer engineers out there who have never visited the real world .
Anyhow, If I can do it, ANYBODY can!!!!! But it does require considerable practice and perseverence -- but so did learning to build and fly model airplanes!
PAT
Jul 05, 2005, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
finding that book seems like a very worthwhile goal-possibly updated for autocad 2004--

I can only imagine what you have up your sleeve pat!! well you are kind enough to keep well ahaead of us average builders --WE cant catch up with you!! LOL

T
Jul 06, 2005, 08:20 AM
Tim, I understand you plight! It's getting to the point that I can hardly keep up with myself. But that's OK, it's a good feeling knowing there's a need for more cool stuff out there.
PAT

Quick Reply