Top 5 Accessories for RC Pilots

Like most hobbies one can get into to, the RC hobby has its fair share of accessories and support items you can get to make life easier.

Splash

Top 5 Accessories

Like most hobbies one can get into to, the RC hobby has its fair share of accessories and support items you can get to make life easier. These are not required items to enjoy flying RC airplanes, but they can sure come in handy. Here's my list of the top accessories for RC Pilots.

Transmitter Case

Once you get past your first entry level radio, you are going to want to get a nice high end computer radio and that's going to cost hundreds of dollars. You'll want to protect that expensive radio for storage and travel and a transmitter case does the job. My preferred case is the Spektrum Single Transmitter Stand Up Case, but with the foam insert that will hold two radios. There's also room inside for small tools, batteries and other gear you might want to keep handy at the field.

Battery Meter

Most RC pilots have a large amount of lipo batteries and it can be hard to keep track of what's charged or not. Having a battery meter (or several) makes it quick and easy to check the status of any of your batteries. Just plug in the balance lead to the meter and instantly see the total pack voltage, percentage of charge remaining and individual cell voltages. The one I personally use I've had for over 10 years and it isn't made any longer, but most any battery meter you can find these days will have the same functionality.

Dual Charger

When you start collecting batteries and multiple planes, a single charger is simply not enough to keep up. I really like dual chargers with their ability to charge two batteries at the same time and even more if you parallel charge. I've got several dual chargers at my charging station and my two favorites are the iCharger 406 Duo and the ISDT D2.

Model Stand

Model stands can be very helpful when building, repairing, storing or setting up your RC airplane. Foam planes are especially prone to hangar rash and laying them upside down on a hard surface is a sure way to get dents, dings and scraped paint. Model stands will usually have foam contact points and are designed to cradle the model securely. My current favorite is the CrewZinn Flight Deck I reviewed back in 2018 and it's still working great.

Tools

This is a very general category, but it's worth talking about. You can get away with some general purpose tools, but at some point you are going to want more dedicated tools like curved scissors for cutting cowling or canopies, small screws drivers for reaching hard to access servos and the list goes on. You might want to pick up a small tool box and store your RC tools separately from your general tools. Some of my favorite tools are servo connector crimps, my soldering iron and a good screwdriver.

What did I miss? Tell me what your favorite or must have accessories are for the RC hobby.

Last edited by Jason Cole; May 12, 2021 at 08:35 AM..
May 12, 2021, 09:47 AM
I think I just want to fly

Must have accessory

Plastic trash bag to carry your plane home. .
May 12, 2021, 09:55 AM
Arrowhead
Portable storage for LiPos! Personally I use a surplus ammo box. Remove most of the rubber seal so it’s not air tight, otherwise it’s a potential bomb. I left the rubber at the latching end of the lid so there’s some tension on the latch when closed.
May 12, 2021, 10:23 AM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
Plastic trash bag to carry your plane home. .
2 bags if it's a big one

Seriously though, I recommend having a small first aid kit handy for small cuts and such.

John
May 12, 2021, 12:03 PM
Modeling Retread
+1 on the transmitter case. I have the setup shown and I was just asking myself the other day where all the dents and scrapes on it came from. Better it than the two transmitters inside. I also have a spare single case I've used for 20+ years. Note the Rule of Cases - If it's unlocked, it should be open (I learned this in Jr. High Band).

Those battery meters are good for LiPo and LiFe but fall short with NiCd or NiMH. To really know the state of the NiXX batteries, you need a meter that applies a load (as I recently was reminded). I found a new Hangar 9 Digital Volt Meter with Variable Load on Ebay and I was glad to get it.

If you do a lot of wing bolts, get a battery powered screwdriver.
May 12, 2021, 01:08 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
How could I forget the trash bag! Lol. Best to put one inside each plane for easy access during crash parts recovery.
May 12, 2021, 01:08 PM
Hot Girlfriends to tell you how great your flying skills you are
Last edited by dalecheek1; May 12, 2021 at 02:26 PM.
May 12, 2021, 01:16 PM
ICM
ICM
Magnetized screw drivers or a magnetizer to magnetize your existing drivers. Extremely frustrating to drop a tiny screw, spend 1/2 hr looking for it and wasting more time finding a replacement.
May 12, 2021, 04:49 PM
MK
MK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
Hot Girlfriends to tell you how great your flying skills you are
Failing that, old, fat, unshaven club members telling you the same.
May 12, 2021, 05:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Wife that supports hobby!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
May 12, 2021, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately de plane stand is no longer available...

+1 on Gf/spousal support!!
May 12, 2021, 09:02 PM
Modeling Retread
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Wife that supports hobby!!

SteveT.

Overheard my wife on the phone one day:

“Oh no, I don’t mind. He’s either here, at work, at the hobby shop or at the flying field.”

I suspect most diehard modelers think “thank goodness that’s over with” when they get married. No more dating hassles.
May 12, 2021, 09:31 PM
yank and bank!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Portable storage for LiPos!

This.
May 12, 2021, 09:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Last edited by SteveT.; May 13, 2021 at 06:48 AM.
May 12, 2021, 09:45 PM
That thing almost hit me
A credit card.....

Quick Reply