Oct 04, 2021, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso6858
We have pretty much abandoned any attempts at painting the airplane at this point. I've tried a whole host of different primers and paints and the result is the same even time. The covering doesn't make a good surface for painting. At this point the plan is to just get the airplane flying the way it is (white primer) and then order a second kit. The second kit will have the covering removed and will be re-covered in the Cal Fire scheme.

In the meantime we are focusing on getting this kit flying. The Two Jetcat P20SXs arrived quite a while ago along with the Turboprop conversion units. They've been sitting in a cabinet collecting dust while I worked on the airframe and a lot of other projects. Last week I got them out and dusted them off. With a little help from the manufacturers I was able to drill the necessary hole in the Turboprop units for the EGT sensor and mate the units. I put together a quick test stand and gave one of the engines it's first test run. All seems good and it's time to start working on putting the units in the airplane.

I removed one of the firewalls and began test fitting the first unit. Immediately I ran into an issue. In order to have the thrust line lined up with the hole in the cowling, the whole unit has to sit very low in the fuselage. Unfortunately the landing gear interferes with that space by about 3/4". I found that by putting spacers under the retract unit I was able to move the entire landing gear unit down and out of the way. This raises the stance of the airplane by quite a bit which I think actually brings it closer to the correct stance. And the wheel still goes inside the doors by about 1/8". I've removed the platform for the fuel tanks and trimmed the two bulkheads that were in the way and it now appears that the engine is going too fit correctly.

I'll snag some pictures when I'm I the shop tomorrow.
In terms of painting, I've had some good results so far using some Rustoleum 2X metalic rattle can primer and Warbird Colors paint. Everything is sticking well.
I am concerned about the printed material wrinkling in the sun and possibly cracking the paint. Is that your major concern? I might stick a few pieces in direct sunlight and see what happens...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2021, 11:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swanson
In terms of painting, I've had some good results so far using some Rustoleum 2X metalic rattle can primer and Warbird Colors paint. Everything is sticking well.
I am concerned about the printed material wrinkling in the sun and possibly cracking the paint. Is that your major concern? I might stick a few pieces in direct sunlight and see what happens...
I’ve had several different kinds of issues. Rustoleum 2X was one of the paints I tried. I don’t remember exactly what the issue was with it. But between all the variety of issues I had, the most major one was the paint wrinkling up while it dried. It happened with several different paint types. I tried painting in the heat of the middle of the day and in the cool in the middle of the night and didn’t seem to make a difference. I also tried several different methods of prepping the surface and had no changes. Then after I finally got the whole airplane in primer the wrinkling started with the covering. It’s got wrinkles all over the place now. None too major and they’re not cracking the paint so far but it still doesn’t look pretty.
Jan 08, 2023, 10:43 AM
Soooo... what ever happened to this project? Very interesting!
Jan 09, 2023, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
I completely forgot I started this thread. I have made a bunch of progress on the airplane and I am working on it currently. I'll take some pictures and post an update later today.
Jan 10, 2023, 06:54 AM
Great, did you ever figure out how to paint it? I want to do the same to mine. Thanks
Feb 08, 2023, 05:19 PM
Agree, want to see this thing fly!
Feb 08, 2023, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
I keep forgetting to post on here. The airplane is nearing completion. The right boom is completely finished and ready to fly including test running the engine. Now I just need to copy it on the left side. I do hope to fly it before summer of this year though.

As for the paint, I gave up. This will be a test bed airframe which will fly in white primer with no cowlings or gear doors. The next version I will have professionally painted and custom exhausts made to fit inside the cowlings.
Apr 16, 2023, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Well the final results are in, and they’re not pretty. I have been working on the airplane but slacking on posting.

I got the airplane completed earlier this weekend and spent a lot of time doing engine and taxi testing to make sure it was 100% ready. On the test flight it was apparent as soon as I got it off the ground that the P20SXs are not enough power for this airframe. I staggered it around one 180 degree turn to get it back on runway heading. But by the time I got it there, there was no airspeed left and I dropped it on from a few feet.

The very poorly constructed landing gear mounts didn’t hold up to the impact and the gear folded. The props hit and busted the engine mounts. Unfortunately the engines ingested debris and damaged the blades on both engines. The airframe is relatively undamaged for the most part but it is very obvious that the P20s are not enough power. I may repair it and just go electric.

This is what I believe is the third turbine Bronco to crash on its maiden flight. I have yet to see anyone succeed with a turbine conversion but hopefully someone does. It won’t be me though, because I’m not going to fight this low quality kit any more.
Apr 16, 2023, 08:24 PM
that's really too bad. i see them flying with gas and electric, and neither one sounds right. One of the fields I fly at is on the approach/departure for Cal Fire and the Broncos are a common sight (and sound). I admire your work and commitment. Must have been an awesome sound to hear both turning.
May 15, 2023, 01:25 AM
Not sure that I agree about model turbo props sounding right. My experience is that there is heaps of prop noise with very little jet sound. Gas powered sounds terrible. I'd just go electric.

Regarding the supplied retracts, both the retract units and legs I agree are horrible quality. I ended up using Electron retract units and making custom legs following the supplied legs snapping off at the trailing link ends. I've had no problems with the actual mounts.
Bysie
May 15, 2023, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Every turboprop I've ever flown has always sounded awesome.
Jun 26, 2023, 06:04 AM
3 failed maidens? This is the second one i know of.... Lets see how my maiden will end later this year I will be using 2 Xicoy X45TP's so power is not an issue. 21x12x3 props at 7200 rpm estimated I am looking at the same issue with the gear and motor and will be lowering the gear about 10mm and raise the engines about 3mm at an angle so the center will be correct with the cowling. This will add 1 degree down trust on the engines. I don't think that will be that noticeable in flight right?
Jun 26, 2023, 07:45 PM
Can't wait to see it!
Jul 25, 2023, 04:32 AM
The build is almost completed. Engines should be ready this week so hopefully a maiden in 2 weeks. Tanks fit and i have enough fuel for a nice flight (about 800ml). Engine cutout for the firewall also looks it will fit and only a few minor things have to be sorted out. It is almost made for it
Last edited by Tadango; Jul 25, 2023 at 04:53 AM.
Aug 04, 2023, 02:35 PM
Hangar 9 OV-10 Xicoy X45TP first test run. (0 min 38 sec)

I got the engines today so i mounted them. First test run on the plane comparing EGT with the open setup and with cover and exhaust. 40c higher (500c) with cover at 1/2 throttle looks fine. In flight there should be even more cooling. Just a few things to do and then it can fly. CG work great, nothing to change. Weight now is 20.6kg so that means 22kg max with all options mounted.

Quick Reply