Wireless Racer - Remote Online Racing with Real RC Cars

The Wireless Racer organization is looking to blend the virtual world with the real world using RC cars, FPV technology and computing power to deliver a racing experience like you've never seen before.

Splash

Race a real RC car from your PC

The Wireless Racer organization is looking to blend the virtual world with the real world using RC cars, FPV technology and computing power to deliver a racing experience like you've never seen before.

This technology will let you race and compete LIVE in a League of Physical Gaming RC Robotic Cars utilizing AR & Blockchain Technology. They hope it will be the future of esports racing. You'll be able to sign up, log in and take control of a real physical rc car at the WiRa warehouse track. Viewers can tune in and watch the racing live with multiple camera views and real time overlays to keep up with who's winning.

It's still early in the process, but the tech is there and they've gained enough funding to secure the space and begin testing. You can sign up for a test at the website linked below. I'm curious about the video lag, quality and the overall experience. What do you guys think about this idea of virtually racing a real RC car? Have you signed up to test it? If so comment below and let us know about your experience.

Check out the Wireless Racer Website Here

May 18, 2021, 03:31 PM
Cool idea but not fully thought through Imo.
Not wishing to be negative but I can see this idea suffering from the same lag issues which makes 'fast' games that need low latency, pretty much a non starter for cloud gaming... unless everyone lived right next door to the server.... and the server right next door to the fpv racing location.. which kinda defeats the point.
May 20, 2021, 09:49 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I hear ya. Still think it might be fun to try, even if not for serious racing, but at least to drive around for fun.
May 20, 2021, 10:32 AM
Site Aspie
Might be fun to try, but their website is a bit of a disaster. Very hard to navigate, and annoying layout and cursor.

I'm on a fiber connection so my latency will probably be ~60-70 ms in addition to whatever link they're using tot he car, which should be more than driveable. Their video link latency is probably insignificant while control latency is probably in the 30 ms range.
Last edited by Lynxman; May 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM.
May 21, 2021, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman View Post
Might be fun to try, but their website is a bit of a disaster. Very hard to navigate, and annoying layout and cursor.

I'm on a fiber connection so my latency will probably be ~60-70 ms in addition to whatever link they're using tot he car, which should be more than driveable. Their video link latency is probably insignificant while control latency is probably in the 30 ms range.

Driveable perhaps but raceability at any real pace will be badly affected, I can see it being quite chaotic..

I once bought a new HDTV, hooked it straight up to my racing sim but I could not get through my favourite stage in RSRBR without crashing.. instant massive disconnect from 'feeling' what the car was doing, couldn't catch and hold slides any more and all my braking points had changed. I then discovered the reason.. my new TV had a hefty 47ms of input lag even in game mode. It was massively noticeable and a very unpleasant experience. I had to go straight back to my 5ms gaming monitor to be competitive again.
May 21, 2021, 05:16 PM
Site Aspie
I know, I have felt the same thing, but there are plenty of gamers who are playing with that kind of lag and don't know any better because they didn't come from something better.

It can be its own thing, but I'm not sure it will be commercially successful.
May 22, 2021, 03:40 AM
I don't really feel it's the right thing , I can see the appeal but not the reality . FPV quad(drone) racing is very popular but the pilots are on site flying their own quad , at a club level the FPV car racing could be fun but it's not a good " business plan " to make money .
May 24, 2021, 09:46 AM
Come on guys, give them a chance. This is all new stuff. As it is, it might not catch on, but most things didn't turn out roses on the first try either.
May 24, 2021, 11:34 AM
Site Aspie
I've signed up. I like what they're doing.

Quick Reply