May 19, 2021, 03:15 PM
Still Screamin'!
Nice looking model. I'll need to ask Tom if he has any involvement with this? Looks like one I will need to have for sure. Mine will be done in this scheme Just seems appropriate
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2021, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Terry Till-- View Post
Shipping is high for everything right now. The price for these model airplanes is going to stay high.
Maybe if somebody like Hobby King acquires then they won’t be as much.
Anyways, I was just pointing out that for those who “ have to have it“, The cost to your door isn’t that unreasonable.
Even the new Horizon Hobby f-16 is $500 PNP and $370 ARF+.
Again, I am in no hurry either.
The "scale military" adds to the price of F-16 (or whatever else) versus sport jet, like those models bear the cost of R&D of full scale fighter jets lol
Seriously Eflite F-16 has almost the same size as FW 90mm F-16, so not bad price (Freewing 90mm 6s EDF are round $600 now), almost as good sound if not better.

Hope these new EDF's make good money from newer pilots, as seasoned pilots either have good collection or experience of most of RC flying things
May 19, 2021, 10:41 PM
Head-tracking FPV Advocate
Quote:
Not that I am in any hurry to get one, but when you compare it to the Avanti PNP it’s a little more reasonable cost as a whole.
The Sirius is about the same size as the Avanti
The difference in size isn’t huge, but Sirius is 5” shorter in span, that and smaller fuselage profile likely means Sirius would be noticeably faster assuming thrust /power performance is similar. Also likely needing higher approach speeds. Definitely has potential to be a hot seller if fit and finish is good!

I need a practice jet to do FPV aerobatics, the weird canopy frame has kept me from getting the Avanti. The frameless canopy is a lot more preferable on the Sirius. Also the control surfaces are comparatively small, so more closely aligned with classic pattern planes, lower roll/pitch rates would be better for piloting from cockpit view. If the canopy is clear, it would almost perfectly meet my needs.

The more I look at it, the better I like it!
Last edited by turbinefancy; May 19, 2021 at 11:06 PM.
May 20, 2021, 05:03 AM
Essential RC YouTube channel
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy View Post
I need a practice jet to do FPV aerobatics, the weird canopy frame has kept me from getting the Avanti. The frameless canopy is a lot more preferable on the Sirius.
Always found that the cheap transparent plastic distorts the view and ruins the FPV experience so always remove it. When it's in the air it doesn't really notice from the ground and could always put additional white plastic in to give better appearance of the frame. Just waiting for a realtime telemetry OLED to arrive and will be flying this FPV Avanti for the first time.

Sirius does look a quicker design than the Avanti but wonder if it would take the additional weight of pan/tilt and DJI FPV with the smaller wing.
May 20, 2021, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicM View Post
Always found that the cheap transparent plastic distorts the view and ruins the FPV experience so always remove it. When it's in the air it doesn't really notice from the ground and could always put additional white plastic in to give better appearance of the frame. Just waiting for a realtime telemetry OLED to arrive and will be flying this FPV Avanti for the first time.

Sirius does look a quicker design than the Avanti but wonder if it would take the additional weight of pan/tilt and DJI FPV with the smaller wing.
That is a legit concern with the smaller wing. I actually prefer longer span so it's easier to see for formation work. I guess we will be dropping flaps just to be safe. Another thing I like better on the Sirius, simple flaps vs split flaps on Avanti.

Nice P & T design - with ball bearings - very robust. Looking forward to your FPV Avanti video Dom. Will you be using Guilherme's working instruments?
May 21, 2021, 01:14 AM
Essential RC YouTube channel
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy View Post
Nice P & T design - with ball bearings - very robust. Looking forward to your FPV Avanti video Dom. Will you be using Guilherme's working instruments?
Yes. We agreed some final tweaks to the gauges and I should get it any day.
May 23, 2021, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Shipping is high for everything right now. The price for these model airplanes is going to stay high.
Maybe if somebody like Hobby King acquires then they won’t be as much.
Anyways, I was just pointing out that for those who “ have to have it“, The cost to your door isn’t that unreasonable.
Even the new Horizon Hobby f-16 is $500 PNP and $370 ARF+.
Again, I am in no hurry either.
Well not too long ago the naysayers of RCG when it comes to shipping costs were tell me shipping rates would say the same and how wrong I was stating shipping costs would go up... and here we are lol
May 23, 2021, 05:59 PM
RCInformer Rich on the bird: https://youtu.be/NYlJu9XY7ko?t=5595
May 23, 2021, 06:24 PM
AA6JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicM View Post
RC Informer are getting one to review apparently.

"Review"? Or promotional marketing to the "guys"?
May 23, 2021, 06:38 PM
Still Screamin'!
2 hours 42 minutes??!! Oh heck no! It will be better than the Havoc, faster than the Avanti but not as predictably aerobatic and have a much higher stall speed. Finish won't be as good, but still a great looking jet begging for a repaint.

There, saved you almost 3 hours of bloviated promotional gas 😝
May 23, 2021, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
"Review"? Or promotional marketing to the "guys"?
It's all smoke and mirrors on youtube when it comes these type of reviews, although I have noticed some of the reputable YT reviewers are putting "sponsored review" which is nice to see when it comes to marketing transparency
May 23, 2021, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
2 hours 42 minutes??!! Oh heck no! It will be better than the Havoc, faster than the Avanti but not as predictably aerobatic and have a much higher stall speed. Finish won't be as good, but still a great looking jet begging for a repaint.
If use my link, only a bit more than 1 hour. The first one hour and a half is more for chatting lol

From Rich's words, the speed actually sounds like below 110mph, whereas Avanti tops at 120mph. The cheater holes looks smaller than typical scale military 80mm. The exhaust looks very large.

The foam seems very sturdy. In RCI's video, the model was a pre-production, hand-painted/spray paint.

RCI's flight demo is coming soon.
May 23, 2021, 10:20 PM
Agree the exhaust definitely look oversized. Shrinking that down to 90% FSA would for sure help the top end. Not a good indication if indeed they overlook this simple rule of thumb...
May 23, 2021, 10:45 PM
Rich is a great guy but all these things are turning into Big commercials. Pretty understandable since they're giving him the planes for free and everybody does stuff for money. Unfortunately when things are done for money we don't get the total accurate truth.
May 24, 2021, 12:05 AM
It is all boiled down to personal opinions....

Just an example: Rick did quite a few videos with FMS Rafale, and he seems not hesitant modifying the model when he deemed fit. A pure commercial would hype all the way without naysaying...

Yes his videos might be "Big commercials", but when he got the preproduction samples (Sirius, FMS F7F Tiger, the only two I knew of, sure there were many more others) and gave critiques, manufacturers and pilots listen

The exhaust looks big, perhaps bigger than 100% FSA, but will not know until someone reported/modified

Quick Reply