This thread is privately moderated by siriusflier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 20, 2021, 04:13 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I read in the main thread about how some fixed the problem with the loose tail gear. Some just glued it, some put tubes in the hole in the rudder. I basically did both of those things and added a step. First I cut a brass tube to put in the hole at the back. I used white gorilla glue to fasten the brass tube in the hole, and then I cut a plastic piece with a vertical slot for the wire to hold the vertical wire straight. I put two small screws into the plastic piece(can't really see them in the photo), and I used white gorilla glue on all of it. Should be ready to go once the glue cures well and the wind is low.
Name: zvaltailgear.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 346.9 KB
Description:
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Valiant 1.3m BnF Basic
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2021, 03:50 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
When I tried to taxi, it seemed like the Valiant was prone to tip overs, causing damage to the prop. So I decided to do what some others have done and move the landing gear forward. Had to add about 6 more grams to the back to get the COG right. Taking the wheel pants off removed about 50 grams total, then I added a total of about 20 grams to the tail, so I had a net loss of about 30 grams of weight. Now with the battery, the AUW is about 1040 grams, which is only about 4 grams more than it was before I moved the landing gear forward. The stock AUW would have been about 1070 grams. Now if I could just get a day without so much wind.
Name: zvalfrwrdlnggear.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 435.2 KB
Description: Name: zvalfrwrdlndggear2.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 437.8 KB
Description: Name: zvalfrwrdlndggear3.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 472.0 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; May 21, 2021 at 04:06 PM.
May 23, 2021, 04:10 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Very windy today and very light sprinkles all day so far, so no flying.
I have read several accounts of the nose breaking off, so I decided to reinforce the nose on mine a bit. I took two 3mm x 6 inch carbon fiber rods and inserted them through the nose behind the cowl into the fuselage foam. They go in a little past the front windscreen. Added about 4 grams, haven't checked COG yet.

Before I made the plane stand posted on May 8, I had looked in the dollar tree for pool toy foam paddle boards and they didn't have them. Yesterday I bought two of the foam paddle boards, I already had more square tubing, and I made two more plane stands a bit smaller than my first. Already had one plane sitting on a shelf that could use one and have been keeping the Valiant on the original I made. So now I have three stands that cost me a total of about $12.
Name: zpoolfloat.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 616.5 KB
Description: Name: zfloatstand.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 514.6 KB
Description: Name: zfloatstand2.jpg
Size: 510.4 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; May 23, 2021 at 04:18 PM.
May 24, 2021, 05:36 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I bought an 1800mah Eflite battery with an EC3 connector that I planned to use on the Valiant. Checked the internal resistance on it yesterday and each cell's resistance is above 30 ohms. As comparison, the 2200mah Smart battery that came with my RTF Aeroscout about 1.5 years ago has resistance of less than 10 ohms per cell. A 1300mah GForce battery I have that may be 5 years old has internal resistance of 8 ohms per cell. I don't think I will ever buy another eflite battery, but I didn't read about how bad they are until after I bought it.

Yesterday I changed the plugs from IC3 on the plane and EC3 on the battery to XT60. All of my 3S batteries and planes now have XT60s.
May 27, 2021, 06:28 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Very windy today so I spent some time slightly modifying my Valiant again. I like the thumbscrew type wing bolts that came on the Aeroscout, and decided I could make some for the Valiant, but I had to order some longer 3mm bolts than what I had, got 10 45mm bolts from Hobby King for about 50 cents. I had always wanted to try an aluminum spinner, but they usually cost $20 and up. I got this alloy spinner: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/spinner-...en_us_products from Hobby King for less than $7. Also bought some Master Airscrew props, a 10 x 8, and an 11 x 7. Used the 10 x 8 and it comes much better balanced than the stock 10.75 x 8, and weighs about 7 grams less.

The wing bolts took some time to fit to the wing. Used aluminum standoffs and gimbal stick spacers with the bolts to make the wing nuts. Adds about 10 grams of weight over the stock screws.
Name: zvalwingbolt.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 748.9 KB
Description: Name: zvalwingbolt2.jpg
Size: 415.4 KB
Description:

Also took some alterations and time to fit the alloy spinner. Could not use the prop collet that come with it, so used the stock collet. Master Airscrew 10x8 prop and alloy spinner actually weighed about 1 gram less than stock prop and spinner.
Name: zvalalmspnnr.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 336.2 KB
Description: Name: zvalalspnnr2.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 428.6 KB
Description:

The stock screws weighed 3.68 grams, the thumbscrews I made weigh 13.44 grams. + 9.76 grams. The stock prop, spinner, and collet weighed 45.38 grams, the MA prop, alloy spinner, and collet weigh 44.39 grams. - 0.99 grams.
So the plane gained about 9 grams, but some of that is behind the COG. Weighs 910 grams w/o battery, weighed 888 grams before my mods. Actually didn't weigh it after some of the mods. 1054 grams AUW, was 1040, but stock could be 1070 grams.
Need to check the COG again.
Last edited by siriusflier; May 27, 2021 at 07:34 PM.
Jun 01, 2021, 12:52 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Took the Valiant out to do another range check and try to taxi on the road/airstrip. Everything seemed to be working well until the tail wheel fell off. The little plastic axle nut came off.
Jun 01, 2021, 04:43 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I replaced the tail wheel and used a more secure axle stopper on it.
Then I also noticed that I had damaged the wing tips a little underneath while I was trying to taxi - I tipped it up and dragged the wing tips a little when turning too quickly.
So I had some blue vinyl, cut a couple of pieces and applied them to the underside of the wing tips. Not a perfect match to the plane's blue color, but close enough and won't be noticeable.
Name: zvalvinylwngtp.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 422.1 KB
Description: Name: zvalvinyl.jpg
Size: 477.5 KB
Description:
Jun 01, 2021, 08:41 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Well, I maidened the Valiant. Think the wind was less than 5mph, but more from the east, a bit of a crosswind. Didn't notice the wind making much difference though. Flew a few rounds at first, seemed very well balanced with the G Force 3S 1300mah battery pushed all the way back into my 1 centimeter cut out past the back of the battery bay. Did not try flaps or any aerobics, was in Safe the whole flight. Noticed with the ailerons at 80% it would turn so sharp that the wings were almost vertical. First landing I went off in the ditch during roll out, but no damage. Second landing was a bit better. Third landing I ran the left wing into my leg as I was coming to a stop. Called it good then at only about 4 minutes. Still, other than a little wrinkled paint on the wing where it hit my leg, no visible damage.

I measured the Battery bay to see how big a battery would work. It is 15 x 5 x 3 cms, maybe 3.5 cm at the back of the battery bay.
Jun 02, 2021, 03:24 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Took the Valiant out to fly twice today, both times for about 5 minutes apiece.
I am having a problem with getting the Valiant to go straight enough down the road/landing strip. I think almost every landing or take off ended in the ditch because I couldn't keep it straight on the road. Once I ended up about 20 feet out in the field because I thought I had enough speed to take off, but went through the ditch instead. Once it flipped over when I hit the ditch. Might not be a problem on a mostly level landing strip, but my road is crowned in the middle. I think the flimsy wire bends to one side or the other causing the plane to veer sharply. As far as I can tell, the wire is not moving in the mount. I tried about 25% expo on the last flight but couldn't tell that it helped much. I even replaced the wheel with a slightly smaller one and tried to straighten the wire. Finally, on the last few times I took off, I used half flaps and gave it a lot of throttle quickly. In fact, I left the half flaps on for the last half of that 5 minute flight. I used the e-flite 1800mah battery on that last flight, and it seemed a little nose heavy, even with the battery all the way back, but with half flaps, it levelled out nicely and didn't seem nose heavy. Landings were not that bad, just couldn't taxi straight. I think I am probably going to replace that wire with a stiffer one.

So I am now up to about 13 landings with this plane.
Jun 04, 2021, 02:37 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
The tail gear on the Valiant is bad. My Valiant tail gear wire came loose before I even flew the plane, making it impossible to taxi straight. After I reinforced the mount, it was still difficult to taxi because the wire is too flexible and will bend to the side. So the first couple of attempts at flight were terrible, I could not keep the plane on my airstrip, and was only able to take off because the plane can be given full throttle to take off in a very short distance. Then I took a thicker wire, bent it to shape, and made my own mount for it. In spite of the heavier wire, epoxy, extra plastic, and 7 screws, the plane did not change in weight, possibly because I used a smaller wheel and tire. It still weighs 910 grams without a battery and the COG is unchanged.
Name: zvaltlgr.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 397.8 KB
Description: Name: zvaltlgr2.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 430.4 KB
Description:

I took the plane out this morning and mostly practiced rog and take offs and landings. Plane will take off easily in less than 30 feet with enough throttle, it does have good power. I made 10 landings, some of them were decent, but a few were fairly rough, at least one was hard enough to bend the main gear a bit. My reinforced tail gear held up well. I flew the l last half of that 6.5 minute flight with the flaps half way down. I was using a MAS 10 x 8 prop and a GForce 3S 1300mah battery, the battery was still at least 3.8 volts per cell after 6.5 minutes of moderate flight. The plane will really fly slow with the flaps at half. I have not tried full flaps yet. This is actually the first time I have used flaps at all when flying any plane. It also floats really well with the flaps and I had to use down elevator a few times to get it down low enough for landing.
Jun 05, 2021, 10:25 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Went out about 45 minutes ago and decided to just try out a few things. With the 3S 1300mah battery and half flaps, the plane would climb a bit at about half throttle. I tried full flaps, and it would climb a lot, enough to need some down elevator to keep it level. With throttle very low or off, it would barely descend, just floated along into the wind very slowly. Also went full throttle a few times just to see how fast it would go, it is fairly fast when you want it to be. Also climbs fast with full throttle and full up elevator.
At almost 5 minutes, I was going to come in and land with half flaps. I was lining up with the road about 400+ feet away. When the plane went below the tree line I suddenly had a hard time seeing it at that distance because it is overcast. Instead of increasing altitude to get it up where I could see it better, I fumbled around and went down in the ditch about 350 feet away. Went and picked it up, no visible damage because the weeds are tall there, but about 40 feet closer, there are some big rocks I could have hit. Put it back on the road, took off again, went around and came in for a very good landing with half flaps. 5.5 minutes, and the battery came down at 3.88 volts per cell.
Jun 05, 2021, 11:17 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Went out again, this time with the E-flite 3S 1800mah battery. Could tell right away that battery makes it a little nose heavy so it doesn't fly level, but descends a little. Half flaps made it level out, full flaps would make it go up. Went from rates at 80% to 100%, will probably just leave it at 100% from now on, at least until I start flying with safe off. This plane will take off quickly if I give it enough throttle, maybe 30 feet without flaps, 20 feet or less with half flaps, and around 10 feet with full flaps. I also tried taking off with full flaps, flying the circuit, and landing with full flaps on the whole time. Lands quickly with full flaps and no throttle. Few it this time for about 8.5 minutes and did about 5 landings. I am really liking this plane now that I have the tail gear sorted out. May go try it with a 2200mah battery next.
Jun 05, 2021, 01:49 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Took the Valiant out earlier and flew it with my smallest and lightest 2200mah battery. This battery has stiff wires that come out the side, that made it difficult to get it installed. This Horizon Hobby Smart battery weighs about 172 grams, the E-flite 1800mah weighs about 145 grams.
The extra weight made the plane even more nose heavy, but it would level out mostly with half flaps. Still, I didn't really like flying it with the extra almost 30 grams. I flew the plane for a little over 10 minutes, probably could have gotten a couple more minutes out of it, but I think the 1800mah will probably go 10 minutes easily. Of the three batteries I tried this morning, I think I like the Gforce 1300mah at 114 grams best, I might need to add tail weight to fly the 2200mah battery much, and I have already added around 20 grams to the tail.
Name: zval2200mah.jpg
Size: 366.5 KB
Description:

About a 10 minute flight with the 2200mah battery and about 10 decent landings. I did roll off in the ditch a couple of times while rolling on the ground. Also found out I don't even need to use elevator with full flaps to get air born within 30 feet.
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 05, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
Jun 05, 2021, 04:17 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I have an Eachine 3S 1500mah 25C battery that I have had since 2017 so I decided to try it. It weighs about 109 grams compared to the 1300mah 30C at 114 grams, so I did not expect much difference from the 1300. When I flew the 1300 for 5.5 minutes this morning it came down with 11.67 volts and 58% left. Just now when I flew with the 1500 for 6 minutes it came down with 11.67 volts and also 58% left. So the 1500 may have just a little more capacity, but probably not 200mah more. Didn't really do much different this flight, just checking flaps and floating and seeing how it did with the lighter battery.

Flight weather doesn't get much better than it is today. Being able to fly all day with winds less than 10 mph, overcast sky so I don't have to stand in hot sun, and a high temperature of about 80'F.
Jun 05, 2021, 05:53 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Went out for two more flights, one with the 1300mah and one with the 1500mah. About 8 minutes per flight and could have probably gone another minute on each battery. Thinking after these flights the Eachine 1500 is not much more than the 1300, but it is light an it works. So six flights today and about 40 landings.

Noticed near the last flight that there was a small chunk missing from the right wing. Now sure how that happened, but I did roll off in the ditch a lot, and landed in the ditch a few times.
Name: zvalwngchnk.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 440.9 KB
Description:

Already spackled it, now I will get to try my blue touch up paint that I am fairly sure won't match all that well.

Quick Reply