This thread is privately moderated by siriusflier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 08, 2021, 08:28 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Discussion

E-Flite Valiant 1.3m BnF Basic

E-Flite Valiant 1.3m BnF Basic

5/3/2021
I decided a while back that I wanted some good high wing taildraggers. Probably the main factor in my coming to that conclusion was the Hobbyzone Aeroscout with a nose wheel. Crashing it or even very rough landings often leads to cracking the fuselage or breaking the nose off. I have probably had to repair the Aeroscout more than 6 times because of damage caused when that nose wheel hits the ground wrong. So after some research I bought the Night Timber X. I have not flown it yet, just finally got it paired with my Spektrum transmitter yesterday because I am new to Spektrum and there are not really any easily found complete instructions on binding a receiver to a Spektrum transmitter. I spent several hours searching and studying how to bind it and finally put enough information from different sources to get it to work, but the Avian smart esc may not be working right, so no motor reversing. Spektrum transmitters may be good, but binding, programming, and setup is not simple. I have been using Detrum transmitters/receivers, and they are more user friendly.

So after reading both Night Timber X threads all the way through, I wanted something else to read, and found the Eflite Valiant thread, another BNF high wing tail dragger. Reading about it made me decide it might be the next plane to get. So I thought if I wait a while, maybe there will be some kind of sale on it. Friday or Saturday I got an e-mail from Horizon offerring 3 times the reward points on certain merchandise. The Valiant was included in that offer. So spend $200 and get enough reward points for a $15 discount on my next purchase. After I made sure I could get the Timber set up, I ordered the Valiant using $10 off discount I already had. The Valiant should be here by 5/05/2021.
Name: vaLIANT.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 115.5 KB
Description: Name: valiant green.jpg
Size: 298.1 KB
Description:

5/05/2021
Tracking shows the Valiant made it to Forth Worth, Texas, about 150 miles away last night sometime, but no tracking movement since then. After 6pm now, so I doubt the plane is going to fly in today.
5/06/2-21
Valiant was delivered just before 4pm when I was actually on my way home. I unpacked it and took photos, everything looks good, then I put it back in the box for later.
Name: zvalbox.jpg
Size: 362.8 KB
Description: Name: zvalbox2.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 444.6 KB
Description: Name: zvalbox3.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 478.9 KB
Description: Name: zvalbox4.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 476.6 KB
Description: Name: zvalbxcntnt.jpg
Size: 418.2 KB
Description: Name: zvalbxcntnt2.jpg
Size: 512.7 KB
Description:

Product Details
The versatile Valiant™ 1.3m park flyer gives you the inherent stability of a classic high-wing model but with more modern lines and sporty response. You also get functional flaps right out of the box and the option to add floats (sold separately).

Features
Based on the popular Hangar 9® Valiant™ 30cc ARF
Optional-use SAFE® Select flight mode for newer pilots
Wide flight envelope with sporty performance
Functional flaps installed
Powerful 480-size brushless motor and 30A telemetry capable ESC installed
Spektrum AR631 6-channel AS3X® receiver with SAFE® Select technology installed
6 micro servos installed
Durable aluminum landing gear with wheel pants
Optional float set available (sold separately)
Constructed of durable EPO Material

Product Specifications
Specs
Airfoil Shape Semi-symmetrical
Approximate Flight Time 5 minutes
Battery Sold Separately
CG (Center of Gravity) 65mm +/- 3mm from leading edge of wing measured at the fuselage
Charger Sold Separately
Completion Level Bind-N-Fly Basic
Flaps Yes
Flying Weight 251-2000g
Power Type Electric
Material EPO
Minimum Required Radio 5-channel
Motor Size 480 size, 960Kv
Motor Type Brushless
Product Length 38" (965 mm)
Product Weight 40oz (1135g)
Propeller Size 10.75 X 8
Radio Sold Separately
Receiver Included
Recommended Motor Battery 3S LiPo 11.1V 1300 - 3200mAh
Servos Included
Skill Level Level 2
Speed Control Included
Trim Scheme Colors Blue, white and black
Wing Area 430 sq in (27.75 sq dm)
Wingspan 53" (1346 mm)
Wheel size 64 x 17 mm(2.5 inches diameter)

My weight without battery or wheel pants and 10.88 grams of weight added to tail is 888.1 grams

On 6/01/2021 I measured the Battery bay to see how big a battery would work. It is 15 x 5 x 3 cms, maybe 3.5 cm at the back of the battery bay.
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 01, 2021 at 09:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2021, 08:29 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Modifications and Tips

There are not a lot of modifications mentioned in the two Valiant threads: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1-3m-BnF-Basic , and https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-Valiant-1-3M . I have read all of that second thread, but still have more than 100 pages left to read in the first thread.

There are some on those threads that have tried different motors and props, but most say they aren't needed. They say the Valiant has plenty of power, does decent aerobatics, and has surprisingly long flight times up to 12 minutes or more.

One thing those that fly off of grass or rough fields like to do is use Timber wheels and tires. Another suggestion is using lighter batteries than the recommended 2200mah. Several like to use 1300 to 1800mah batteries and report good flying characteristics and decent flight times.

The self tapping screws provided for attaching the tail feathers are in my opinion too large a diameter for the plastic sleeves that they are intended for. Several posters reported difficulty in screwing them into the sleeves. I found a slightly smaller diameter screw about the same length in my screw stash and used them. Provided screws are 2.5 x 20 mm, I used 2.25 x 20 mm, they work very well.
It is suggested that gluing the tail feathers in place or using tape on the horizontal stab is good, and glue may need to be added to the mount of the tail wheel.

Some have moved the landing gear forward to minimize nose overs and prop strikes. I opted to do that after damaging my prop tips before I even got the plane off the ground, but that meant adding about 20 grams of weight to the tail to get the COG about right. Since I took off the wheel pants, I ended up with about a 30 gram AUW reduction.

The tail gear is not mounted securely. Mine ended up loose before I could get the plane to fly and I could not get the plane to taxi straight enough to take off. White Gorilla glue and a sleeve where the tail gear wire goes into the rudder have been used to fix this. I did those things but also added a bracket to keep the tail gear secure and vertical.
The wire "side to side" slop is caused by the wire chewing up the foam, inside the rudder.
To secure the wire without removing it:
Drill a hole about the size of the wire or slightly larger, against the back of the wire, into the rudder, to at least the depth of the tail wheel wire.
Drop some White Gorilla glue in the hole (put a small drop of water in the hole, before using the Gorilla glue, because water is the kicker for gorilla glue).
The Gorilla glue will expand, filling the void inside the rudder.
Watch for any expansion coming from the hole & wipe that off before it cures.

Medium CA would work to, but IMO, using Gorilla glue is better, since the expansion will do a better job of filling the foam void in the rudder.

The wing screws in the Valiant are 4 3mm X10mm.

Upgade motor

Wouldn't run 4S on the stock motor.
If you want more power, change the motor to this one.
Unlimited vertical & still gets great run times on 3S.
Not a direct fit, but only needs to be shimmed about 1/4 inch (most hardware stores carry nylon spacers)
Also only 2 of the 4 mount screws align on the metal mount, but use loctite & that's all you need.
Stock spinner won't work, but can buy spinners pretty cheap.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

I'm using a 40 amp ESC.
11x5.5 APC E prop.
Can't use the stock spinner
Doesn't add any weight to the plane.

The E-flite Power 10 is the same length as the factory 480. It's only rated for 3s and you can use the stock 480 mount. I have not tried the Power 15, which has a case length of 50mm versus the 10's case length of 43mm. The 15 is almost an oz. heavier.
Last edited by siriusflier; May 21, 2021 at 09:56 PM.
May 08, 2021, 08:38 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I decided to work on putting the Valiant together today. One of the first things I usually do to a new plane with foam hinges is add hinge tape(blend derm). I did that on one wing then got to looking at the other hinges, and realized that there is already tape in all of the hinge channels, so no tape is needed. First time I have seen that on any plane. Then I put a coat of Minwax clear poly on all of the wing surfaces and the fuselage.

I took the wheels and wheel pants off of the landing gear. A wheel and pant without the axle and screws weighs 28.0 grams and the axle is 3mm diameter. The wheels are 64mm(2.5 inches) diameter and 17mm wide. A 70mm wheel I have will not fit with the pants, too large a diameter. I also added some color to the wheel pants with some blue vinyl I have. May add a silver stripe on the side. The Y harnesses and the flaps and aileron servo wires were not marked, so I pulled up the wire covering tape to the flap servos so I could identify the correct plugs, and marked the plugs.

When I tried to use the provided screws to attach the tail feathers, I could not get the long screws to go into the screw holes far enough, so I used some shorter screws. Other than that, everything went together easily. I will probably add some glue to hold the tail feathers in place as others have reported doing.
Name: zvalcmplt.jpg
Size: 486.3 KB
Description: Name: zvalpants.jpg
Size: 503.9 KB
Description:
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Valiant 1.3m BnF Basic
May 08, 2021, 08:42 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
On 5/04/2021 Horizon had a sale with 4x the reward points. I spent some time looking for something to buy and all I could come up with was an E-flite 1800mah battery and a spare prop for the Valiant. I wanted to buy a plane stand, but finally noticed the one I was interested in was on backorder. But looking at plane stands gave me the inspiration to build my own, and then I came up with a design in my head for making it. I had some 5/8" square tubing and I used some foam anti fatique floor matt from Harbour Freight tools. Made it functional, if not pretty. I did actually use it today when I was painting poly on the fuselage and wings.
Name: zplnstnd2.jpg
Size: 479.7 KB
Description: Name: zplnstnd.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 440.2 KB
Description: Name: zplnstnd3.jpg
Size: 466.9 KB
Description: Name: zplnstnd4.jpg
Size: 435.7 KB
Description: Name: zplnsndtmbr.jpg
Size: 448.9 KB
Description: Name: zplnstndwng.jpg
Size: 440.3 KB
Description:

The E-flite 1800mah 30C battery comes with an EC3 plug and weighs 144.30 grams. My one Spektrum battery that I have used extensively in the Hobbyzone Aeroscout is 2200mah 30C and weighs 172.75 grams.
Name: zefltbat2.jpg
Size: 624.3 KB
Description:
May 09, 2021, 11:26 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Very windy today and yesterday, so no flying. Decided to add a stripe to the pants:
Name: zvalpntstrp.jpg
Size: 425.3 KB
Description:

Thought a silver spinner might look good:
Name: zvalspnnr.jpg
Size: 433.4 KB
Description: Name: zvalspnnr2.jpg
Size: 421.6 KB
Description:
May 09, 2021, 03:47 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I decided to check the center of gravity, manual says 65mm +_ 3mm from leading edge of wing. Closest I could get with 1800mah battery all the way back was about 57mm. Battery is in front of COG, wish it could be slid back farther.

So I removed the wheel pants and used different axles. Wheel pants + screws = 24.80grams - 2.77g new axle/nut = 22.03g less weight per side. About 44 grams less weight in front of the COG. Still couldn't get the balance point back to 65mm.
So then I put a bolt through in the back and added 6 round magnets for a total of 10.88 grams of weight in the back. Finally was able to get the COG to about 65mm.
Name: zvalmagnets.jpg
Size: 335.9 KB
Description:
Also took out the front battery strap that weighs 1.38 grams. Total weight loss of about 34 grams, but also loss of my pretty wheel pants.
May 09, 2021, 09:18 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Should have figured out a way to hang the Timber before I built the Valiant. The table is usually for my latest build, but the Timber was still on it. Kinda running out of places to hang planes, going to have to figure out something.
Name: zc310omp.jpg
Size: 489.5 KB
Description: Name: zcessspitp51s.jpg
Size: 510.2 KB
Description: Name: zwacox.jpg
Size: 542.7 KB
Description: Name: zt6p40f4u.jpg
Size: 543.9 KB
Description: Name: zp17sr22aero.jpg
Size: 473.8 KB
Description: Name: ztimbervaliant.jpg
Size: 464.6 KB
Description:
May 10, 2021, 09:34 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Windy all day, no flying, so I removed the other stock battery strap and installed a better one. While I had the straps out I cut a battery sized hole at the back of the battery bay. I stopped before I cut all the way through the foam, but still added 10mm that I can push the battery back.
Name: zvalbatstrphole.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 415.0 KB
Description:

Then I bound the rx to the transmitter in Safe mode. Got the Safe to work and throttle cut switch and got flaps on the right switch. But I did not get it to work so that I can change flight modes from Safe to AS3X.
May 11, 2021, 10:20 AM
We've had weeks of wind here too in Houston.
May 11, 2021, 07:19 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Hi quietfly, maybe the next couple of days will be less windy. Do you also have a new Valiant?

Didn't do a lot today, just added some velcro to the battery and battery tray, did some mechanical trimming, and learned how to turn off the Smart battery warning that kept telling me the battery was not ready to fly even at 12.1 volts. First, I don't have a smart battery and secondly I wasn't trying to fly, just checking mechanical trim.
May 13, 2021, 09:38 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I watched a Spektrum YouTube video on setting up Safe Select, re bound the rx, and was able to get it set up on a 3 position switch so I can turn off Safe if I want to. I did a range check. I also set up dual rates for aileron, elevator, and rudder on a 3 position switch at 100, 80, and 60 percent. I did not add any expo. Finally I installed the propeller. So it should be ready to go. Still not used to using a Spektrum transmitter, but getting there.

I wanted to go out and try it, but it was just a little windier than I wanted for a maiden.
May 15, 2021, 11:54 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Horizon Hobby specs on this plane states: "Flying Weight 251-2000g", which is meaningless. I read in a post on the main Valiant thread that the plane weighs 931 grams, but not sure if that was with or without battery, I think without.
So I weighed mine without the battery as I plan to fly it and got 888.1 grams. The eflite 1800mah battery I plan to use weighs 144.3 grams, so all up flying weight will be 1032.4 grams.
May 16, 2021, 04:19 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Valiant is no longer sharing the table with the Timber. I rearranged my planes and managed to find a spot to hang the Timber, so now the Valiant has the table to itself.

Thought I might get to maiden the Valiant, but while I was warming up with the Aeroscout, a thunderstorm came up within 5 miles, now the wind is a little stronger and have an almost 90 degree crosswind from the east. An east crosswind is the worst, last time I flew with an east crosswind, I ended up hitting the high line wires with the Aeroscout.
Last edited by siriusflier; May 16, 2021 at 04:28 PM.
May 19, 2021, 11:06 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I intended to try to maiden the Valiant because the wind was very low this morning. Got it outside around 9am, first did a range check, then took it out on the road/airstrip. I had not done a taxi test as I usually do. I could not get it to go straight down the road for take off, it kept veering to the left before I could get up speed. Couldn't keep it straight with rudder, and stopped trying after a nose over that damaged the prop tips a little. I think the problem may be the tail wheel I put on it as the tire is slanted a bit to the left. Will have to try a different tail wheel.
May 19, 2021, 09:24 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I suppose I should have noticed before putting a different tire on and taking the plane out to try to taxi that the wire was completely wallowed out in the rudder and the wheel wire could rotate and lean to either side, but maybe it was completely loose before. Other than changing out the tire and wheel I had not done anything with the tale gear. I think this plane has a very poorly designed tail gear that would probably do this on any of them unless it was glued in securely. Part of the reason I changed the tail wheel is because the plane is nose heavy and a larger wheel adds a little tail weight while still being a functional part. I had already looked through my landing gear wires for a stronger, larger diameter wire I could use, but I looked again an found a 2mm wire that I bent to the correct shape. The stock wire is 1.2mm and I thought from first look that it is too flimsy for this size plane. Still going to take a lot of good glue and maybe more to get the gear secure.

Quick Reply